Liked: 5

Default Question RE: TSA Screening and Driver's Gear

I'm flying up to Portland from L.A. tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had any experience (or problems) carrying their gear in a carry-on bag. Specifically, I'm worried about how the TSA will look at arm restraints, and my HANS device.

TIA,

Brad
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Liked: 8

I've flown with a HANS and the wrench with it.. No problems.

That said, TSA is the most inconsistent organization I've ever seen....
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post

Thanks. What about arm restraints?

Liked: 8

I'd say they're safe. I fly a fair amount and bring much more interesting things along with me without issue.

From an x-ray, I dont see them looking any different than a belt with some d-rings.
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

I'd say they're safe. I fly a fair amount and bring much more interesting things along with me without issue.

From an x-ray, I dont see them looking any different than a belt with some d-rings.
    Great. Thanks for the info!

Brad

Liked: 42

I've never had a problem and I'm doing it again tomorrow morning with a backpack full of data gear on top of it all. I've never had a problem.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by racerxlilbro View Post
    I'm flying up to Portland from L.A. tomorrow, Brad
    Are you running the ICSCC "Doernbocker" race at Portland this coming weekend?

Or coming up to 'test drive' your new Stohr F1000?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

the only issue I had was trying to carry on the wrench for the hans and helmet visor, they didnt allow tools but everything can go as checked bags.
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Liked: 0

Me too. I get the special treatment for my inspection kit backpack all the time. Funny how a micrometer looks like something that may go boom on the xray. They will give me a hard time about some harmless stuff, but be happy to give me that metal knife in first class to spread the cream cheese on my bagel.
    Ken

Liked: 17

I have flown out of and into Portland with all my gear in a carry-on bag. Including arm restraints with no problems.

In the upcoming months TSA is changing their policy when it comes to the name on your ticket and your identification. They must match exactly.

The weather is suppose to be great in Portland this week.

Tim B

Liked: 24

That is an understatement...

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Are you running the ICSCC "Doernbocker" race at Portland this coming weekend?

Or coming up to 'test drive' your new Stohr F1000?
    OOooh, a new Stohr F1000 sounds like a LOT of fun!

Yep, coming up to drive my Crossle for the first time in 2 years. Can't wait!

Oh, and BTW, never driven PIR - so Saturday ought to be VERY interesting! I plan to follow my own advice, and adhere to the message in my Sig Line.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Hey Brad,

One bit of advice. If the wonderful TSA folks happen to ask you what they are try not to use the word "restraints", just tell them it is racing safety equipment.

Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Hey Brad,

One bit of advice. If the wonderful TSA folks happen to ask you what they are try not to use the word "restraints", just tell them it is racing safety equipment.

Have fun!!!
    Thanks, Daryl!

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Just Tell TSA..

That they are "Sex Toys"

Liked: 42

OOooh, a new Stohr F1000 sounds like a LOT of fun!

Yep, coming up to drive my Crossle for the first time in 2 years. Can't wait!

Oh, and BTW, never driven PIR - so Saturday ought to be VERY interesting! I plan to follow my own advice, and adhere to the message in my Sig Line.

Portland isn't too bad to learn. I had two laps of experience there before I jumped in a car for the 12 hour enduro last year. And the Conference racers were very fun and clean to race with.

Liked: 0

.....Yep, coming up to drive my Crossle for the first time in 2 years. Can't wait!

Have a GREAT TIME. Group 3 (FF's and CFF's) only has 10 cars entered at the moment which is way down from the norm. But in Conference, if you want more track time, you could run the Crossle as an FL in Group 6 and double your fun!

Portland is a easy track to get around with only 2 places where you can get in serious trouble. T-12 watch that outer wall and, the Festival Chicane. From a driving perspective, slow in to Festival.. FASTER out. Turn 7.. tricky to get right and fast.

Sadly, we made a 'final' decission last night to cancel out. Too many iffy's on our drivers job status and, we have some fixes to make on the car. Last ICSCC sprint race is at Pacific late Sept. You should come up and run it. VERY challenging track and wonderful layout.

Quote Originally Posted by jabro1000 View Post
    Have a GREAT TIME. Group 3 (FF's and CFF's) only has 10 cars entered at the moment which is way down from the norm. But in Conference, if you want more track time, you could run the Crossle as an FL in Group 6 and double your fun!

Portland is a easy track to get around with only 2 places where you can get in serious trouble. T-12 watch that outer wall and, the Festival Chicane. From a driving perspective, slow in to Festival.. FASTER out. Turn 7.. tricky to get right and fast.

Sadly, we made a 'final' decission last night to cancel out. Too many iffy's on our drivers job status and, we have some fixes to make on the car. Last ICSCC sprint race is at Pacific late Sept. You should come up and run it. VERY challenging track and wonderful layout.
    I am entered in both CF and FL. I'm hoping to get tons of track time! Then...

OBTW, does that 10 include me?
    Last edited by racerxlilbro; 09.09.09 at 5:11 PM. Reason: added question

Liked: 4

Actually, if you get a supervisor/manager, I've found them to know the rules/regulations very well. It never hurts to print out a copy of the rules in questions (see the TSA web site for a copy).
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

.....OBTW, does that 10 include me?
    INDEED it DOES.

5 CF's in Group 3 (including you) all Crossle 32 and 35

4 CF's in Group 6 as FL's (including you). But the Spreen's usually do Group 6 just for practice and don't race it.

Group 6 has 19 entry's total including 5 Legends cars. All GREAT guys to race with even in open wheelers. They are super cautious of the open wheelers. You will have a fun weekend for sure.

TOTAL entry's are at 227 and there's always a few late ones. Group 1 is biggest with 50 cars which includes the 19 Pro-3 Bimmers... great racing there and fun to watch.

Here's the complete entry list as of last night:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6391C3294D3626

Shucks, 3 FC's are showing up but we won't be there

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1462

It's nice to see Daryl Harsha back on track. Used to be a so-cal guy, looks like he moved to Oregon. He has this strange converted VD FF called "spooky".

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    It's nice to see Daryl Harsha back on track. Used to be a so-cal guy, looks like he moved to Oregon. He has this strange converted VD FF called "spooky".
    We met "Spooky" a couple of weeks ago at the last Pacific Raceway event. Yup, VD FF converted to FC with home made front and rear wings. Didn't catch him post race but, he DNF'd on about lap 2. Don't know what happened but it looks like he's fixed for Portland this weekend

Really sorry to see the DNF as he was Jeff's 'remaining' competition after the Argo FC blew and engine in the 2nd qual. session that weekend.

If I understood correctly, Daryl has just restarted racing with Conference.

INDEED it DOES.

5 CF's in Group 3 (including you) all Crossle 32 and 35

4 CF's in Group 6 as FL's (including you). But the Spreen's usually do Group 6 just for practice and don't race it.

Group 6 has 19 entry's total including 5 Legends cars. All GREAT guys to race with even in open wheelers. They are super cautious of the open wheelers. You will have a fun weekend for sure.

TOTAL entry's are at 227 and there's always a few late ones. Group 1 is biggest with 50 cars which includes the 19 Pro-3 Bimmers... great racing there and fun to watch.

Here's the complete entry list as of last night:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6391C3294D3626

Shucks, 3 FC's are showing up but we won't be there

Awesome...can't wait!!!

Liked: 124

Check out Rennies post, a taste of Portland down in the Atlantic section. In news and info.

Liked: 11

I flew last weekend to Monterey from LA with an infrared temp gauge "pistol" in my carryon. I figured there was a 65% chance I'd just immediately be taken away by the black helicopters, but I went through security twice at two different gates and nobody even opened the bag up to look at the damn thing!

Liked: 9

Default Most of the TSA has seen it all by now

We used to get hassled for our skydiving gear; happened when they introduced x-ray inspections the first time and when they thought we might be the next D.B. Cooper. Then again, for a couple of years after 9/11 they really wanted to tear apart our sealed reserve parachute containers to get to the automatic opening devices buried in there. Now, it's rare that they even ask what that is. But, ya never know, you could get a noobie crew. But everything you got should be self evident if they need to look.

And to state the obvious, carrying that stuff on is smart; you know they'll deliver your lost bag after the qual session is over.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

I am entered in both CF and FL. I'm hoping to get tons of track time! Then...
    If you make ALL the sessions for both run groups, you'll get 3 hours on track time. With our GREAT turn workers and safety crews (and very respectful of each other drivers) black flags and full course yellows are very rare.

There is a small bit of bad news. This is a Rotation 6 race. Which means your Group 6 runs will begin at 8:55 AM. First group of the day both days. If you need tech, get it done Friday night! Tech guys will work till it's too dark to see and then some.

Mid to high 80's both days. Water, water, water. Cool temps for the morning runs (low to mid 60's) then hot afternoons.

Full schedule here:

http://www.icscc.com/2009/announce/cscc_sept_2009.pdf

One thing, this is the Doernbecher event for the children's hospital. Lots of parents and kids walking around from the hospital. During lunch, there will be rides in some exotic cars at really reasonable rates for the benefit of the hospital. GOOD stuff and fun. Last year I did a Cobra replicar ride and my brother did a GT-40. GOOD things at the silent auction too. They usually have a band for the Saturday night paddock party by the tower. HAVE FUN!!

Did your car come up from Encino or does a prep shop up here have it?? If not in the care of somebody and you need something, find KEN DYE (Prep shop for a lot of FF's including our vintage club) he has a trailer full of STUFF for FF's. He paddocks up on one of the side pathways up in the grass under the trees. And, Amadillo Andy has a good selection of general racing needs in his retail trailer (including the Sunoco race gas). Jay Ivey is usually at the Portland races too.
    Last edited by rickb99; 09.10.09 at 3:23 AM.

Did your car come up from Encino or does a prep shop up here have it?? If not in the care of somebody and you need something, find KEN DYE (Prep shop for a lot of FF's including our vintage club) he has a trailer full of STUFF for FF's. He paddocks up on one of the side pathways up in the grass under the trees. And, Amadillo Andy has a good selection of general racing needs in his retail trailer (including the Sunoco race gas). Jay Ivey is usually at the Portland races too.
    My car has been in the care of Archie Hodge, and has been campaigned by Rodney Jessen for the last two years.

Yeah, some awfully big shoes to fill...

My car has been in the care of Archie Hodge, and has been campaigned by Rodney Jessen for the last two years.

Yeah, some awfully big shoes to fill...
    Ahh yes. I haven't met him personally but Archie runs an excellent shop too (R&A Manufacturing). Located not far from Pacific Raceway. Your car will be in great shape

Ahh yes. I haven't met him personally but Archie runs an excellent shop too (R&A Manufacturing). Located not far from Pacific Raceway. Your car will be in great shape

Default Whew!

What a great weekend. Weather was top-notch, and everyone was very friendly.

It's tough getting going after being away for two years. But, I still had a great time! Hope to run with the CSCC, and Conference guys again soon.

What a great weekend. Weather was top-notch, and everyone was very friendly.

It's tough getting going after being away for two years. But, I still had a great time! Hope to run with the CSCC, and Conference guys again soon.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Conference IS a really good group!

NOTE bold above:

September 26/27 Pacific Raceway. MUCH different experience then Portland

I'm almost sure Archie will have cars there any way. Might as well bring yours

Glad you enjoyed it. Conference IS a really good group!

NOTE bold above:

September 26/27 Pacific Raceway. MUCH different experience then Portland

I'm almost sure Archie will have cars there any way. Might as well bring yours
    Aah, would that I could! I can't afford the time away, and I believe Mr. Jessen will be running my car in that event.

Thread Information