Liked: 4

Default Receiver Extension for Camper

I just bought a small camper to use in my Ford F-250 tow vehicle, and now I need a solution for extending out the receiver hitch so I can haul the race car trailer behind. It seems like there are a lot of products on the market that provide 18" extension on a 2" receiver, but I seem to need a little more, about 21". Torklift has a product called their "Supertruss" extension, which has options up to 48", but seems to require their own, receiver (Superhitch), which is added expense I would hope to avoid.

Any advice from the group on which products I should be looking, and how I can tackle this problem, would be most appreciated?

Thanks

Nathan

Contributing Member

It all depends on the weight of what you are towing, also the height of the ball , if its low and far back every driveway will try to break it off. The whole setup sounds scary to me.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

IMHO do not think about a receiver extension longer than 6 inches without using one of the set ups that takes the weight off of the ball.

IIRC one is called trailer frog.

The leverage that extension will have will put unbelieveable loads on your attachment to the tow vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 430

Also to think about, if there is an 1/8" of slop in the slide in receiver, there could be an inch at the end of it allowing it to start the trailer swaying.
    Graham.

Liked: 162

Had a rig like that once, chose to extend the tounge of the trailer instead. Wasn't pretty, but neither was the camper.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Google Trailer Toad

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default It can be done.

We towed a 4000 lb. trailer behind our pickup and 11' camper to California and back with no issues using the Torque Lift 36" hitch extension.
    You have to use the proper hitch on the truck though. They are a 2.5" receiver rather than the std. 2".
    Yes, the loads on the hitch are mighty but then so is the hitch...
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 62

Default toad

I would look lnto the trailer toad.

Liked: 123

I towed for a long time with a 1800 lb camper in the bed of the truck, using a Reese Towbeast hitch and their 24" extension. The truck was a Dodge 2500 Hemi, the hitch was a 2 1/2" receiver rated to 8,000 lbs using a WD hitch with the 24" extension. The trailer was a 28' vee nose that was loaded to around 8,000 lbs. Everything was within the rated limits except the truck was over it's rated gross combined weight rating by around 1,000 lbs.

Things to know: The stock hitch on the Ford F250 is rated 1200 lbs ball weight and 12,000 lbs trailer weight with a weight distributing hitch. With a solid (not tube) extension of less than 12", you would de-rate those numbers by at least 50%. Don't use an extension over 12" with the stock hitch. The Reese Towbeast receiver is a bolt on unit with a single receiver compared to the Torquelift, which uses two receivers and a double truss extension. The Reese costs significantly less than the Superhitch, but is rated a little lower.

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Texan View Post
    Any advice from the group on which products I should be looking, and how I can tackle this problem, would be most appreciated?
    As others mentioned, you want to use a 2.5" receiver if using an extension. The 2.5" receivers are class V rated vs class III or IV for a 2" receiver.

A 24" extension is literally a ton of leverage against your frame.
    'Give me a big enough lever and I can move the world.' or in this case, twist your frame...

Liked: 0

I grew up with my parents towing their 16ft aluminum boat behind the camper with a very basic ~20" solid trailer extension on a standard hitch.

I used the same hitch extension last year to tow my ~1900lb trailer to a few events with no ill effects.

now that I'm going to be towing a heavy enclosed I've stepped up to the superhitch/supertruss combo - it's a really solid combination with a healthy weight rating on everything. I've also picked up a reese weight distribution setup to go along with it.

compare the superhitch to a standard receiver and you'll understand why it's rated so heavy - many more tie-in points and a whole lot more metal than a standard class IV hitch.

I've always been skeptical about the weight ratings of them - the whole lever action involved especially on a long stinger is a real issue. I think weight distribution is how they really get around it. I've talked to a number of folks running either a towbeast or superhitch setup with a 36+" from bumper hitch with a weight distro setup and they say it tows great and there isn't anything they mention that stands out from a problem perspective.

I considered a trailer toad - I like the concept, didn't like the price or the extra length added on to the whole assembly

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

I just saw this today http://www.torklift.com/products/sup...php#extensions You have to get their hitch and extension system, but it's supposed to work well.

Liked: 14

did the same thing and this is what I bought
    your tested solution is the torklift superhitch and supertruss.
    expensive but it worked as advertised for me with no issues.

http://tweetys.com/torklift-original...uss-combo.aspx

I also liked the torklift tiedowns, they were solid.

don't skimp on this, its ONLY your racecar back there.
    Josh

Liked: 21

Default Super Hitch

I use the Super Hitch with the 48" double truss extension rated to 12000 lbs. with load levelers. I pulled 4 formula cars in my stacked 28' trailer all in at about 10 to 11000 lbs.
    We balanced the load, measuring the tongue weight so to not exceed the limits. Towed with my F350 with slide in camper from Colorado to the East Coast and back. The setup worked flawlessly, but with some sway when some of the tractor trailers went by. The Super Hitch is the only safe way to go, IMHO.
    David Irwin
    Irwin Engineering
    Bailey, CO 80421
    303-653-5550

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this lively discussion, your comments and suggestions have given me a wealth of information. I have been swayed (pun intended) by the comments about Torklift Superhitch and SuperTruss strength and reliability in this situation, and just ordered the pair for my truck

Best Regards

Nathan

Thread Information