Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Liked: 551

Post #154 is about the best thing I've ever read on apexspeed. Awesome.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Default Wonderful!

Brian thank you for fighting so hard! keep plugging away!

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Post #154 is about the best thing I've ever read on apexspeed. Awesome.
    Yeppers.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Great news,glad you are doing better.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports
    Danbury,CT

Liked: 96

Post #154 - Lump in my throat, a couple tears in my eyes. Best post ever!

Keep up the great work Brian. As you can see, we are all pulling for you.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 159

Default Great News!

Great News Brian. Keep digging - prayers have been sent and will continue for your health.

Jay
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 127

Awesome Brian! Keep up the good work!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 296

Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Way to go Brian! I'm with the others that say your post is the best post ever!

I'm so thrilled I've got tears in my eyes. I can't wait to tell my wife you are posting again.
    Topper
    Dallara F394 F3
    Swift SE-3 FC sold

Liked: 667

YEEEEHAH!!!! Way to go, big guy!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

This is how I pictured Brian as he was typing out that post

Liked: 142

keep it up brian! It made my day to hear about your progress! your post was the best I've ever read on apex!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 1

Default Brian is Coming Home!!

Brian is coming home next Saturday! We will be throwing a welcome home party for him on September 2nd @ 1pm... You all are welcome to come!! Your wishes and prayers were a HUGE help through this and our Family owes you all a Thanks!!

Thanks again and hope to see you all in 2 weeks,

Ian

I just checked in on this thread after being out of the country. Awesome news!

Liked: 309

Hey Brian, since you're laying about on your backside and all, you think we could rope you into serving on one of the formula/sports racer adhoc committees? The hours are long and the pay is crummy, but the biatching is constant and aggravating!

Seriously, bro...good to have you back!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Brian is the man

Brian,

Every time I go to the track (I was at NJMP this past weekend) someone asks about you. I can't tell you how it makes me feel to pass on the increasingly better news. Clearly you're a strong, determined man. I am so excited about your upcoming discharge.

Attaboy!!!

Karen Petersen (grid)

Liked: 120

I was discharged today, so I'm back home again. I start outside help from other doctors on Tuesday. I was able to walk on my own inside the hospital last week, but I still have lot of work to do. I still have vision problems, memory problems, walking problems outside, and I still can't fully straighten my left arm. I hope to be at 100% in the next few months, and the doctors I did have said I've made said that I've made serious progress so considering the ER doctors basically told my parents I was going to die.

Thanks to everyone who sent cards, cash,or the nice posts.

Brian

Liked: 309

That's great news, Brian...keep it up!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Brian,
    It is so good to see you making your own posts and making such progress! As an ER doctor who has had to break that kind of prognosis to families in the past, I can tell you the docs are thrilled you proved them wrong. Keep it up. I am sure you will make it all the way. [But now, when you run into that evil ex-girlfriend, you can pretend you don't even know who she is, and no one can call your bluff!]
    Best of Luck,
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 20

Way ta go Brian.
    You da man.
    Doctors are smart, however even they can't get it all right all of the time..... keep working hard and good things will follow....
    You have come back from a really tough injury and whether you like it or not, you are an inspiration to us all.
    Doug Fisher

Liked: 96

Brian,

I was on a bicycle ride on Saturday which took me through Middlefield. I thought of you and I hope you are doing well.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 7

Prove them all wrong Brian
    Set ambitious goals
    Get back on track

All the best,

Rick Kean
    Houston, TX

Liked: 31

Brian visited the padock at Lime Rock this friday for the NARRC runoffs quaifying sessions. My first sighting was his smiling face in the passenger seat with his Dad driving doing a slow cruise by the turn 3 FF/NCF crew. The next sighting was the greatest, Brian crossing the tech impound area walking crisply with a cane more as a fine gentlemans ornament then anything truly needed. It was great to chat with him about who was there and where they were parked and how my qualifying sessions were going. His out look was great with ever better days ahead stubbornly defying the "moron doctors" whose expected limitations that have already been surpassed. Brian has forever crew status from the turn 3 crew.

Better than break dancing bears, a dancing Brian trumps all !!!!

aj

Brian,

We have never met and may never meet. Still my family and I have quietly cheered you on from a great distance. We are thrilled you are doing better and wish you continued success.

Funny thing this racing, it shrinks the globe a bit.

All the best!

Doug Wille and Family

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the cards and money you sent to me. I am doing better now, but I still have some minor issues. I still have pretty bad double vision that requires me to wear an eye patch, and some minor balance problems. The doctor told me that my balance issues are a result of some nerve damage, but my eye patch keeps me from really getting better with my balance.I am however able to walk outside now, and I hardly use a cane at all so things are getting better. I was at lime rock a few weeks back to see everyone, and to meet the first responders to my crash. Everyone there was not only shocked to see me but happy that I was doing so well, so fast. Some of the first responders thought I was going to die from my injuries, kinda like the doctors at the hospital, because they told me that I wasn't even breathing on my own when they pulled me from my car. Having said that, I feel like I've been watched over by an angel or something. Really, once my vision comes back and I can start driving again, then I'll be able to return to work. If I get back to work before December 24th, then I won't lose my good job. They are only going to let me go because it's a state requirement. Basically because I didn't get hurt while I was in work, they have to let me go. Considering I crashed on June 8th, and I was in a coma for 23 days, and I have only been out of the hospital for around a month, I think I'm doing pretty good. The one picture that I added is me on my 2nd day in the hospital while I was in a coma.

Thanks again to Apexspeed, and all it's members for the well wishes and for the money, which really helped. It really sucks that my racing career is over, but it sucks more because I won't get to race with you guys anymore
    Last edited by Brian331; 12.31.12 at 2:30 PM.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Awesome to hear from you Brian! With how well you've recovered so far I'm sure you'll be back at work in no time.

Liked: 551

Brian, wishing you continued good luck with recuperation. I'm sure it is going WAY too slow for you. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you. For instance, tell us what you are doing to help make your days more interesting or comfortable and I'm sure the apexspeed community can help somehow. Magazines, books, games, audio, movies, phone calls, ...

Hopefully your employer will let you make a token appearance 12/24, read a few emails, have a couple of 10 minute meetings to fulfill the requirement.

Liked: 8

Default Great

News, Brian!

Like Russ says, I hope that your employer will allow you to "ease" your way back to work. The secret will be for the employer and the doctor to agree on a return on a "restricted" or "limited" basis. An agreement will allow your employer to get you back on the books. The trick is getting the doctor to fall in line. Make sure your doctor understands the requirements. And make sure you talk about it now, rather than a few days before the deadline.

Sorry to sound like I am telling you what to do, just being a Dad and trying to make sure that you get your life back. Been there a long time ago with a broken back at Mosport, and went through the same stuff....

We are so thrilled that you are doing so well and it sounds like you have made huge strides in your recovery. You have no idea how many of said prayers for you, but there were a LOT of us; it is so great to see you up and around. Keep it up!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Guys,

I noticed the other day that purple frog started a post on "sideways head restraints" and I posted a long post about my past and current issues I'm having. If you haven't already read my post, I highly suggest you read it. My accident was a freak accident but it could happen to anyone. I never thought in a million years that I would have been hurt like this. I always knew I could get hurt, but I figured it would be a broken bone or something easy. If you drive a car that could use these side restraints, I highly recommend you do it. It doesn't matter if you've been driving for 20 years or not, freak accidents could happen to anyone at anytime. I was new at racing, or running my 7th race, and it happened to me. Sadly.

Sadly, I crashed right in front of my father so he saw it from start to finish. He said that I moved over to get around a FV, and the FV started to move over on me. He said that I did everything I could not to hit the kid wheel to wheel, then I lost control. My dad did talk to the kid driving the FV and his father. The kid said that he didn't even know I was there and didn't think he hit me, which he didn't. The kids father stopped down to the hospital on several times while I was in my coma to check on me. I don't remember a thing about the crash, or even towing my car to the track, so I trust what my dad says. I'm just telling you how a freak thing like the kid not seeing me, can really turn into a freak accident. I'm in no way blaming the kid, and I'm not mad at whoever it was. If I ever run into the kid or his father, I'd shake their hands and tell them no hard feelings on my end. My dad did tell me that the kids father worked at a church and possibly a priest, so maybe one of you guys know who it is. If you do, tell them no hard feelings!!

Anyway, I added a few pictures of my helmet which doesn't look real bad. I know that JR's helmet looked a lot worse, but it still saved my life in a way. It is a Bell helmet, and I did send it back to Bell so they could test it. The guy replaced the padding and chin straps, and told me the helmet was still fine to use. If you don't have a Bell helmet, I'd get one!!

What happened to me sucks, to me 2012 never even happened, but I hope it serves in a way to help you guys. I pray that none of you guys ever have to go through something like this, so please make sure your car is safe with side restraints. I will be going back to LRP when the F1600 and F2000 guys are there, so I can see you guys again and personally shake purple Frogs hand for bringing this stuff to everyone's attention.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 05.08.13 at 3:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 8

Default Wonderful News

Brian, thanks so much for your posts. You comments about restraint systems sure bear attention. You can speak from experience.

OK, so you are doing better, but can you tell us all how much of your recovery is behind you? How much is left?

We have all been pulling for you and I personally said many prayers. Please fill us in on your recovery.

Thanks, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Tom,

If you go under the safety section that's in the first box when you enter the website, you'll see purple frogs post on "sideways head restraint". I posted a long reply informing everyone of the problems I had, and still have.

I'm really doing everything I can do to keep you guys safe. I posted all of my issues, and I even sent my helmet back to bell. I sent that helmet back because I told them about my injury, and thought they might be able to learn from it to keep you guys safe. I was stunned to get the helmet back with a printed out letter saying that it's still good for racing.

I've been a member with this website for like 5 years, and I've never seen or read about a injury like mine. While my situation sucks, it's worth it if people use my accident as an example to make their cars safer.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 05.09.13 at 2:05 PM. Reason: spelling

In a world where too many people whine, or think only of themselves, this guy is a breath of fresh air and an inspiration! Never met you, Brian, but if you see a DB-1 painted like the American Flag, come over and introduce yourself. I've got a cold IBC and a spot under the awning anytime you care to drop in.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Hey Brian,

Great to hear from you and that you're doing better. Hope to finally meet you at the Pro F2000/F1600 weekend at Lime Rock, I'll be there crewing.

I was out on track during that qualifying session when you had the accident, I was running my car in both CF and FF that weekend. That group was wings and things, and I was running FF after just finishing the earlier session with CF, F5, and FV. So just for your information there shouldn't have been any FV's out on track that could have caused your accident. I couldn't actually see the accident happen as I was about a half a lap behind you in the beginning of the session. I believe it happened on the finish of your second lap. I have your car on video rolling out of the pits as I was waiting to let all the faster cars in front.

Best of luck to a continuing recovery and I hope one day we can race together!

-Will
    Will Velkoff

Will.. Everybody,

Will, I'm not saying your wrong or that you're even mad, I can't really remember 2012 let alone that day. I'm not trying to throw some FV driver in the mud, or anyone for that accident. My main reason for posting my injuries and what I've gone through, is to bring everyone's attention To their cars and "sideways head restraints", not blame anyone. I was going around someone, maybe not a FV driver, but it makes more sense to me because I was 1/4 the way down the front straight when it happened. I know I'm a pretty new driver, as I was getting ready to run my 7th race ever, but I doubt my crash had anything at all to do with my exit on that corner. So again everybody, I'm not mad at all!! I wouldn't even be mad if I was driving around a clown riding his unicycle down the front straight.

Brian

Absolutely! Just figured I'd share at least what I knew, to help you piece back together what you can at this point. Obviously you're great spirits didn't come off as blaming anyone at all, just wanted to add the little bit of information that I had to add to the story!

Thanks,

-Will
    Will Velkoff

Guys,

Sorry for bothering you guys again, I'm starting to feel like a damn parent! I wanted to add a few more pictures to help drive frog's and my feelings about "sideways head restraints" home. The picture of me in the coma was taken by my brother Ian on my second day in the hospital. I don't ever want any of you looking like that, or putting your family through that. I think I posted this picture once before and Doug took it down, If so, I'm sorry for posting it again. I just really want you to not only read what I write, but see the pictures to really make you guys consider doing this

The second picture is of my DB3, and the somewhat light damage done to it. Besides the suspension you can see broken all the other suspension are straight, just not in the picture. The bodywork is cosmetic damage, so you can see that I should have walked away.

I'm only showing you guys these pictures, so you can really see how much of a freak accident can really affect you. I may never be able to race again, but if none of you ever have to go through this, then it's worth it. I would be somewhat heart broken to ever see or hear one of you guys having this same problem, but could have avoided it if you fixed the problem!

I would highly suggest anybody with a Swift DB1, DB3, or DB6 to take the precaution and fix the problem. PLEASE guys, fix your cars if needed

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 05.11.13 at 7:30 AM.

Brian,
    You make a great safety advisor for young racers. Keep the attitude and outlook as positive as you have always displayed.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Jim,

My positive attitude is the only thing that has pulled me through this, I won't allow this injury to hold me back in life. Since I had a freak accident, I feel responsible to try to inform people of the problems that they could have. I'd like nothing more then to never hear about my kind of injury happening to to another racer.

Jim, are you a doctor? I've read a lot of your comments and it seems like you are pretty informed of brain injuries. We'll probably never meet due to our distance apart, but if I ever do see you I'll stop over to meet you for sure. Thank you (thank you everybody) for all your positive comments and well wishes as they meant, and still mean a lot to me!

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 05.09.13 at 5:39 PM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default I'm no Doctor...

I'm not a Doctor & don't even play one on TV... I do know this... Your attitude is everything !!! Keep on keepin' on
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Brian,
    I am a doctor, but I don't have any medicine as powerful as a positive outlook and a will-not-be-defeated attitude. You are your own best medicine.
    Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information