Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytona 2015

Contributing Member
    Liked: 282

Default Daytona 2015

The 2015 Runoffs are scheduled for this time period in 2015, so I thought I would check out the weather forecast. The weather forecast looks terrible! Hot and very rainy. Turns out Sept is the wettest month of the year at over 6". Almost twice as wet as Road America for the same month.

So what is the general nature of the rain in Florida this time a year. Short thunderstorms that dry quickly or day long rain with general humid conditions?

How goes the track handle moderate rain? Does the infield drain well?

Brian

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Tampa to Daytona is Thunderstorm Alley. Generally speaking. Showers pop up early afternoon & clear out fairly quickly. You can actually watch seperate rain clouds come by like hot air balloons on some days. Other days they form a solid line. The weather does begin to cool off at the end of September. Of course, a Tropical Storm or Hurricane can change things dramatically. If you're not use to the heat & humidity, slow down your pace in the paddock while working. Early mornings are generally quite pleasant & relatively cool til noon.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 210

When you step out of an air conditioned space, expect to be soaking wet in less then 90 seconds. Sweat not rain.

Yes, Miami Lakes for 2 plus years. In addition to work, played 18 holes of golf almost every day. Didn't improve my handicap one stroke
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 3772

I was just thinking last night that SCCA should contact Lloyds and see if they could get an event insurance policy.

I've been a Florida resident since 1949. Some experience.

Did an August race in the Big D once. Mrs Frog told me she would never go back from June to October in no uncertain terms.

Mid September is on average the height of hurricane season. The last two years we have been without a major storm. With global warming patterns as they are (el nino, etc.) that trend may hold. Hope so.

It will be horribly hot and humid with periods of wet and humid. Mid to late October would have been a much better choice. November even better. There is a reason the 24 is in January. Late fall is a drier period.

The past week we have been in the 90s with both heat and humidity. Last night a front dropped in and we dropped to 74 and dense fog in the morning. Gives you a clue of the dew point. Back to 91 at 1:00.

Thinking about having a booth that sells Polar-Tech phase change packs and sun block in the Hooters parking lot.

Track drains very well and fast. Don't think there is anyplace that even has a stream crossing during a rain.

Should be interesting.

Liked: 309

Okay...so any chance it can be moved to early November?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 43

Two Central Florida race weekends this summer have had race groups cancelled due to heavy thunder storms that cropped up in the early afternoon. Lightning is key factor. One weekend was Daytona, the other at Sebring.

CFR has notified the national office about these weather concerns. Representatives from the office were in attendance at the August 9-10 Double SARRC event at Daytona where groups 3 through 6 were cancelled due to lightning. When lightning comes within 8 miles of the track racing activities are put on hold until the lightning moves out of the area.

Daytona is incredibly busy during November. Several "mini pro" events are on the schedule (HSR, a couple of "marque" clubs, etc) in addition to several test days for the USC (IMSA) teams.

This years SARRC Invitational Challange (an annual championship event usually held at Roebling Road) will be run Sept 27-28 at Daytona. It will be interesting to see if the weather turns bad for this event.

One good thing about a hurricane is that they seldom have any thunderstorms.

Liked: 375

Here's a fun video from Don Boughan's car when they attempted to start our SARRC race in August. Twice. It was insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-106n8j0Pg

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Okay...so any chance it can be moved to early November?
    I'm guessing not, especially since it's already been changed once from the dates originally announced, and changing it a second time would raise questions about planning . . .

Onward to Mid-Ohio in 2016!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4303

Fortunately, SCCA has people working on the 10 year plan.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 293

Quote Originally Posted by cmschar View Post
    Here's a fun video from Don Boughan's car when they attempted to start our SARRC race in August. Twice. It was insane.

Hardly any standing water - over 6 inches deep

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    I'm guessing not, especially since it's already been changed once from the dates originally announced, and changing it a second time would raise questions about planning . . .

Onward to Mid-Ohio in 2016!
    Sounds reasonable...thanks!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

How is the track's general safety record for SCCA club racing? Do they use the helicopter much during the weekends?

Could I assume extremely unsafe when wet?

Brian

Liked: 302

Might need to rename the bus stop to boat dock...

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

At least the folks in Topeka are looking into changing the date.

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Do they use the helicopter much during the weekends?
    Halifax is 1.2 miles away. Just sayin...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Per the video and per frog, normal rain track not an issue. Big downpour undriveable once water collects in bus stop.

Don't believe frog, already this time of year you can feel"Fall in the air" it's only getting above 90 for 4-5 hours a day now.

Liked: 23

Agreed- The August double SARRC at Daytona seems like the hottest weekend of the year producing huge thunderstorms starting around 3pm. When I lived in Daytona, we used to joke about how accurately you could set your watch to it.

The runoffs are scheduled around six weeks later, and if it was scheduled for the first week in October like Laguna this year makes it a two full months later. A bit cooler then without as much convective activity producing T-storms of that size...

From May 22, 2009

They could have had boat races at this time.

DAYTONA, Fla. —
    Flooding at the Daytona International Speedway Thursday was by nearly 20-inches of rain, which overflowed the infield retention pond, the famous Lake Lloyd.
    Digital snapshots that WFTV obtained were taken by a track insider and not a Nascar employee. An out turn one tunnel that was recently built to allow semis and huge RVs to pass under the track even during racing, is under as much as 10-feet of water.

The lake overflowed its banks, water seeped onto the asphalt and sits on the inside apron area of the super stretch. That's the 3,000-foot back-stretch area. Pictures show water about halfway up the safer barriers, which stand for steel and foam energy reduction system.
    Unlike the turns that are banked at 31 degrees, the front and back-stretch are banked at three degrees and the slope has kept the water off the actual racing surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    The 2015 Runoffs are scheduled for this time period in 2015, so I thought I would check out the weather forecast. The weather forecast looks terrible! Hot and very rainy.
    And I assume if the forecast was mild and pleasant, you would've checked the local crime rates, hurricane and earthquake chances, and meteor strike possibilities to start a troll thread.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Don't forget the occasional Ball Lightning

Liked: 259

Default Daytona environmental data

collage below shows a summary of some of the nice to know information about Daytona in the fall. for those who'd like data unfiltered by the Chamber of Commerce and/or more data, the airport next door is a National Weather Service collection site. a quick visit to the NOAA site and you can have more data about atmospheric conditions at Daytona than you can imagine....................... humidity, wind direction and speed, atmospheric pressure, cloud cover (morning, afternoon, over night), temperature, precipitation, ..........

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Art Smith; 11.14.15 at 7:43 PM.

Liked: 120

Fraid of working up a sweat?

It's OK to stay home and whine....

I had to request my vacation days off for 2015, and put in for the week of the runoffs. If they change anything, I guess I won't have to worry about the weather. The deadline with my company was yesterday...

It's like a few people posted- The only way a race can get cancelled is if you get a huge thunderstorm right over the speedway, or some kind of tropical disturbance... It's like any other place in the country except Arizona or New Mexico(except for the past week there). Weather will always be a factor....

If I had to worry about what was going to happen a year from now, I'd seek help.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McCarthy View Post
    Fraid of working up a sweat?
    NO! It just gives me pause when I have to spend $3000+ and a week travel time to spend 9-10 days in sauna. The Daytona Speedway Road Coarse certainly is not a big draw for a small bore SCCA class. This is not how I usually spend my entertainment dollars. I have a project in the works and will go if paid.

The region specific weather info has been enlightening.

Brian

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Daytona Runoffs

I lived in St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) for 25 years. Tampa is South of Daytona and drive time is about 2:15 from West Coast of FL to East Coast of FL.

Orlando is not far away which can be another type of Fun such as Disney, Universal Studios, etc.

Weather is weather, earth quakes are earth quakes, fire storms are fire storms, record snowing and record freezing temperatures are the same, and tropical waves are tropical waves. What is delivered is outside our control.

The Tampa Bay Area has experienced freezing temperatures rarely over the years. We have had highly active tropical waves rarely late in the season as well. Last heavy tropical wave was in 2004.

But why is Florida a magnet for many people and retirees. The weather! And yes for some it is a State that has some attractive tax treatment.

Yes FL can be a sauna at times (primarily June/ August) but it is like California during many months of the year depending on weather cycles. I would not be predictive of a static weather expectation. I raced at Daytona for many years and most every year and I was never rained or lightning out of a race luckily. KNOCK ON WOOD!

The weather may very well be the same as Laguna Seca this year.

Daytona will be an interesting Runoffs track. You trim the car to be a bullet. Wait until to see God and count a second or two thereafter into T1. The rest is a little road racing that takes discipline that many cannot not get right. It even catches the best drivers at times. It could be a equalizer track for some.

Daytona is a cool place. Stay on the beach in a hotel overlooking the Atlantic not far from the track; some great fun right across the street such as restaurants; go-kart/drag racing across the street for you and your crew; dog track; etc., etc.

Daytona is where NASCAR bases most of its operations. Daytona is one of the major top Spring Break spots in the Eastern US. It is where the World famous Bike Week is. Speed Week is. The 24 hours of Daytona. The Daytona 500. It could be that bucket list opportunity that is a one time opportunity.

It will be great! I hope - weather permitting!

Liked: 159

Default daily thunderstorms

Been to florida often....starting with the 69 runoffs. Short daily thunderstorms seem to be the norm. September is the worst posible month.

Liked: 224

Man, this thread makes us sound like a bunch of grumpy old men! Everyone here who knows 20 people that would give an arm and leg to race at Daytona (or even race anywhere like we do), raise your hand.....

The first 3 times I went to Road America (2008 Sprints, 2010-11 Runoffs), I had to race on a wet track (which I hate), but I still kept going back. Daytona will be warmer, but not too bad by the end of Sept, and there will probably be less rain sessions than at Road America, and definitely no snow like at Mid Ohio.

Obviously the curmudgeons on this thread don't agree, but I'm excited about the Runoffs at Daytona, and I predict 700+ other racers will agree when it comes time to register.
    Last edited by cory mcleod; 09.19.14 at 10:12 AM.

Liked: 2

Worst month for weather, get kicked out every day. Anything else to want to travel cross country over 3000 miles?

Liked: 224

How do I delete a message that I previously posted? All I see is the edit function?
    Last edited by cory mcleod; 09.19.14 at 11:04 AM.

Don't get me wrong as a troll. I love racing at Daytona. Lots of speed, lots of history. Easy place to handle the traffic of mixed group racing.

I am sure the Central Florida Region folks are going to bust their butts to make it as pleasant as possible. Maybe they can get permission for overnight paddock camping, cause getting thrown out each afternoon is a bit of a pain.

Just want folks to have realistic expectations and come prepared.

Liked: 34

Quote Originally Posted by cmschar View Post

Meh. Typical Double Majors weekend at Pacific Raceways (Seattle) over Memorial Day every year. ;-)

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4303

I think it is unsafe to run small formula cars at Daytona. I also think it is a poor venue for good formula car racing.

I think it was bad business to schedule the Runoffs at Daytona in September. What happens if a small hurricane develops? Disregarding, for this comment, the survival of millions of regular Americans, it would destroy the Runoff experience for all involved.

It is just a stupid idea! If that makes me sound whiney and grumpy, so be it.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 551

Regarding getting kicked out early each night (which has always been true for SCCA races AFAIK)...

Next weekend, for the upcoming 2014 SARRC Invitational Championship races at Daytona, they are allowing overnight camping. Pretty sure that will be true for the 2015 Runoffs, too.

Liked: 16

It is too far. It is too hot. It is too cold. It is too rainy. Turn 2 has a wall too close. The paddock is too small. The schedule sucks. It costs too much. I had to pit a mile and a half from the grid. They charged me for camping. They charged me for my pit vehicle. Blah blah blah.

These are what I see every year regarding the runoffs. You can't please everyone. Shut up and race!

Greg,

Sort of scratching my head...what is unsafe for small cars at Daytona?

The place is very wide, very smooth, with massive runoff areas.

As Russ said, overnight camping will be allowed at the Speedway for the first time for a club race at next weekend's SIC event. $50 to hook up to electric for those who need to.

It is costing CFR an extra $2500 for the weekend to have security at the tunnel to allow 24 hour access to the infield. The garages will be closed for the night, so no working on cars after dark in the garage area.

If all goes well with the camping at the SIC, CFR will likely arrange for infield camping at future Daytona events.

I will be there next weekend competing in the autocross that will be on the kart track at the east end of the infield.

Unsafe for small formula cars? Maybe when the FA cars and FV cars are on the track at the same time, not likely to happen during the run offs.

I have heard stories of fantastic FV races at Daytona in the 60's, where over 100 FV cars would enter to race. Jim Rathman's (former Indy 500 winner) wife was quite a FV driver at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Welsh; 09.19.14 at 2:56 PM. Reason: add photo

Infield Camping ! Most Excellent !

Liked: 101

Guys its freakin Daytona!

Last year I had my first official come back race in 32 years away from racing in a FF car! I have to admit I was scared to death at the thoughts of racing at Daytona with the banking and walls etc but it turned out to be a thrilling SARRC race weekend. Yes it was a pain in the butt to leave the track at night but we stayed in a lovely KOA campground that was only 10 minutes away from the track. There is plenty of paddock space and the garages look great. We stayed in the paddock area and had a great RV and trailer set up with plenty of canvas tenting for shade. I set up a powerful fan next to the car so I would not sweat before going on track. Once on the track it was surprisingly cool and this was in August! There was no rain at all and I had no cool suit or extra cooling. I am 57 and handled it all with no problems. I recommend it and plan to be there for my first run off experience and will soak up a full week of racing! Hope to see you there Michael Crowe! Michael helped me find my current Swift Honda and is doing a very good job of talking me into F1000 racing!
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

If you need any more help with the F1000 thing, I live right down the street.

Liked: 101

Wow Bret thats great, thanks!

What kind of car do you run? I have to admit I am still kicking tires but I would love to come by to see your car! I plan to drive FF one more year in 2015 and do the run offs, etc and then decide for sure. My biggest concern is competition. I prefer a large field over the actual car I drive. FF is picking up in Florida and I have not seen that many FB cars in this area. What are your thoughts on the future of FB?

I would like a little more power and speed! I went through this cycle in aviation, finally ending up with a high performance Cirrus airplane. I had to sell it to get back into racing though.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information