Liked: 0

Default Jack Cohen Super Vee

I came across the remains of mid to late 70s Super Vee driven by Jack Cohen. The car is white #48 and apparently came out of Indiana. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

Vmax

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

pics? chassis tag?

No tag, unfortunately. Waiting for pics.

Incidentally, pancake motor, VW gearbox, swing arm and drums in rear. Monocoque tub with side pods. Looks like early FSV from rollbar back and later car from rollbar forward.

Liked: 302

I may be wrong but I do not believe any FSV used a swing axle rear, or drum brakes...

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Some of the early Air Cooled cars did use rear drums.

I remember Rick Haynes had a RP-14 that had rear drums in 1978. Probably a 1973 car IIRC.

And the most original Super Vees were not much more than FV with big motors and tires.

Liked: 5

Default FSV

Early FSV -1970 to 1974 ?- used 4 joint VW 4 speed trans, uprght-some with rear drum brakes and a type 3 0r 4 1600 with dual carbs. And a much more sophisticated suspension and steering than a FV.

Ted K.
    Last edited by TED K.; 09.14.14 at 9:27 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

As I recall, the SV rules required the use of the CV joint axles/stub axle units

the early cars were all drum rear brakes I don't think discs were legal until 1973ish

my rp-14 came with drums, and at least for vintage, converting to discs gained nothing

Liked: 27

Default Cohen FSV

If it is the car from Baton Rouge, I was going to buy it but spent a lot of time doing the history on it first. Jack Cohen was a big time Shriner in Indy. He had this car modified to drive it in the pre-race parade for the Indy 500 back in the 1980's. Do a Google for SHriner Indy cars and you will see a lot of them on the internet. They are a big deal in Indy. There are a couple Shriner decals on the body and also mini-indy. Many formula cars were modified with VW motors and swing axles. It was a easy mod that worked well for just driving them in parades. The chassis from the rollbar forward is aluminum monocoque but the engine/transaxle is tube frame and not built IMO to hold up on the track. I think the car was once a ZINK SV. The frame rot at the front suspension mounting points scared me away from it but I thought it might make a great autocross car if done right.

Default Super Vee

Yes, it's the car in Baton Rouge. All that you said makes perfect sense, and I agree the air-cooled mod is not up to racing standards. Too bad there's no chassis tag... might be more than a parts car otherwise.

I've attached a photo in case anybody can better ID the tub.

VMAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the one. I still think it might be a good candidate for autocross. Good luck with it. Let us know of your progress on it.

Default Super Vee

Actually, I only looked at. It's still for sale on Craigslist in Baton Rouge.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

It's a good looking car. Would look even better going thru the cones.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default Cohen VEE

My fabrication skills are somewhat limited so the work needed to the front suspension supports convinced me that I was not the right person for this car. It had sat outside for a long time and the front frame rotted. It also needs work on the monocoque but if you have the skills this could be a nice project. The owner is Edward and I talked to him several times. He is a nice guy and I think he could help with some great advice on repairing it. I searched the internet for another car like it and came up empty. Here are some photos of the bad parts. The rest is workable IMO.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 04.09.16 at 8:31 AM.

To see how serious the Indy Shriners are about their race cars, watch this video. These are some very nice x-race cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB7Pk4vC2IQ

Liked: 108

Default How many ?

Delete

Thread Information