Liked: 202

Default Kummer to Vacate Club Racing Post

Fellow SCCA Members,

Some of you have seen this, but just in case you haven’t: http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51985

(you can also see that I was quoted accurately in the article)

= = = = = = =

My directive from the beginning of the Majors project was to elevate the status of “National” racing, and working together over the past two years I feel we have delivered a product that clearly differentiates our highest level of amateur competition from “just racing”. Certainly the most dramatic change was developing a schedule with fewer conflicting events which resulted in increased participation and competition. In addition we’ve increased consistency in event structure/operation and improved recognition of our drivers as well as our events.

Over the last two years I’ve very much enjoyed travelling all over the country working with our members and learning the nuances that make our club as varied and entertaining as it is. It’s certainly been challenging dealing with the wide variety of “strong personalities” I’ve encountered, but I feel we’ve overcome most of those challenges by first trying to understand the other person’s viewpoint and then working together to find a solution acceptable to both. And one thing I’ve NEVER forgotten even in the most frustrating times is those on the other side of the table are just as passionate about this club as I am.

I do want to take this opportunity to make a few things clear:

This was MY choice. I was not forced out, I was not nudged out, and no one invited me onto the balcony for a smoke break before blowing on me while I was light-headed. The best analogy I’ve come up with is that when there’s a change in the head coach position some of the players may become uncomfortable with the new coach’s game plan. In my case I’ve now seen the playbook, I’m eligible for free agency, and I’ve elected to exercise that option. I have no firm commitment at this time, but I’m in negotiation with some companies that value the data processing skills I’ve developed during 40 years of working in that field prior to joining the National staff. I’m comfortable with my decision and ready to move forward.

This is not a sudden development. I have been concerned about where I’d fit in and how I’d be allowed to operate pretty much since Jeff Dahnert left, but now that the 2014 Majors season is winding down it was time to have a Come-to-Jesus meeting to find out where things stand. You guys know I’m pretty timid and avoid controversy at all costs, but I’ve been thinking about this for long enough that it was time to find out so I could decide how to proceed.

Over the past few weeks we've had a number of meetings to discuss the Majors program for 2015 (and beyond). We still don’t know who will be heading things up going forward, but I don’t expect any Major (pun intended) changes to the number, format, or cost of those weekends. I’ll be returning to Topeka the week of Sept 8 and we have a goal of announcing the preliminary 2015 schedule by Sept 17.

No one is right or wrong here, we just have different ways of doing things. I haven’t decided upon my next role yet, but I do plan to stay involved with the club in some aspect and very much wish for it to succeed. It’s gone through a lot of transformations over the last 70 years and this certainly is not the last one we’ll experience, but I DO expect it to survive in spite of itself. Hell, they may even name a trophy after me some day!

Although this means I’ll have to get a real job again, one thing I thought of earlier this week is at least I can once again post candid (some might call them smart-ass) remarks on the various forums without concern for being reprimanded for inappropriate behavior. Said another way, “Knotted Knickers ‘R’ Us” is back in bidness!

Finally, with me being a glass half-full kinda guy another good thing about this is I should be able to race at the ARRC this year rather than attending a BoD meeting in Kansas the same weekend.

Going forward. I wish you good luck and (although it may be contrary to that wish), perhaps our paths will cross again in the future.

See y’all at the track…
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 23

Butch,

Thanks for the great work and accomplishments while you were in your position, and I wish you all the best!

Regards,

Brett Lane

Liked: 157

Default Keep being honest

Butch,

I don't know you. I think we met when I ran the ARRC 6 years ago. I always find you to be open and ready to debate when you are here on the forum so I respect you for that.
    Good luck, all the best and I hope you win at the ARRC!

steve

Liked: 896

Thanks again Butch for ALL of your great efforts to improve club racing. Hope to see you at the ARRC.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 924

Default Thank you!

Butch,

Though I never had the chance to race in a Majors event, I did enjoy working the events as a scrutineer this year. Everyone from National was professional and courteous. It showed how much they wanted the competitors to enjoy the events.

It was a pleasure meeting you at Thunderhill earlier this year.

Thank you for all of your and your team's efforts.

Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 4

Butch, Thanks for your hard work. I think the majors program has really been a great step in the right direction. Best of luck in your next endeavor,

-Chris
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 91

Butch, I have appreciated your coming on this forum and helping to clarify and communicate with the community here. I hope you can encourage your successor to do the same. I think it has really helped our community understand what is going on with SCCA. Thanks for your hard work and effort.

Liked: 9

Default Thank you

Butch,
    It was a pleasure to meet you at Barber.
    Thank you for all you were able to accomplish with SCCA. I'm sure you will be missed by many.
    Best of luck in whatever new endeavor you chose.
    Hope to see you at the ARRC.
    Chris

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 18

Butch
    We have never met as far as I know but I've enjoyed reading your posts and clear comments on what is going on. Should you decide to run for President of the SCCA I certainly would vote for you although I guess that isn't how that works. Best of luck.

Liked: 67

Butch, thank you for all your hard work for the Club and your straight up posts. It's REALLY valued.

See you at the track!

Peter Krause

Member number 55R139029
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 5

Butch,
    For the all the many, many years that I have personally observed you work in the Atlanta Region, the SEDIV and, most recently, SCCA HQ you have remained absolutely true to yourself, transparent to all who you work with and communicate with and still continue to be a fun guy to hang out with. I just hope that wherever you may land, that it does NOT take you away from the SCCA community as we would sorely miss you. I am looking forward to seeing you again at the ARRC. I can't wait to see what kind of Halloween costume that you will be wearing while you go around the paddock trick-or-treating. I still have the mental image of your wearing a ballarina tu-tu at Road Atlanta burned in my memory!!

Jim
    Renter of the Jeep autox car and F600's

Liked: 586

Dang it.

Butch has been such a great help and helper over the many years at so many levels it seems a shame that we, he Club, are losing his talents.

However, [AND I DID NOT START THIS RUMOR]

I hear the reason he's leaving is he's going to run for the Presidency of the United States of America.

After all, he knows that job needs some improving

Liked: 3772

Geez... I'm old.
    I met Butch when he moved into Smith Hall on the campus of FSU in 1968.
    He was my best man at my practice marriage.
    I was his best man at his practice marriage.
    Let's just say we go back a ways.
    He comes from good stock. (Pretty sure he couldn't say the same about me.)
    Racing has been a continuous thread in his life since before I met him.
    He's not leaving racing. Trust me.

For much of his life here on Earth it could be said that Butch didn't suffer fools well. Years ago he had an insecure supervisor that said he was "Arrogant, Confrontational, and Intimidating". Well... yeah... but so what? Let's just say that when he knew what was right, he sort of stuck to his guns.

Once he started getting a bit gray, he developed the patience to listen to fools, then not tell them straight up that they were fools. A bit of political correctness creeped into his bag of tools. If you ever attended one of his driver's meetings at Road Atlanta you would realize all the rough edges were not completely smoothed off.

Like another 'brother' of mine, Mike Rand, Butch has always thought that actual racers put on the best races. All the way back into the early 70's he has always been involved not purely as a participant, but also as a volunteer.

He has a nice race shop out in the woods north of Hotlanta. About 157.4 feet from the shop (he will chime in with the exact measurement) he has a home in which resides one of the nicest most beautiful women on the planet. A women that understands and supports his passion for things that make money turn into noise.
    Now, why in the hell would he want to camp out in Topeka to put up with all the joys of club racing? His parents raised smarter boys than that.
    Blame it on Mr. Johnson for moving the headquarters to Kansas. Then you might have a piece of the story.

Meet me at Siebkins sometime, you pay, and I'll promulgate the rest of the story. Expect a high bar tab.

Butch ain't leaving racing. Trust me.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Geez... I'm old.

Butch ain't leaving racing. Trust me.

I like this!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    This is not a sudden development. I have been concerned about where I’d fit in and how I’d be allowed to operate pretty much since Jeff Dahnert left, but now that the 2014 Majors season is winding down it was time to have a Come-to-Jesus meeting to find out where things stand. You guys know I’m pretty timid and avoid controversy at all costs, but I’ve been thinking about this for long enough that it was time to find out so I could decide how to proceed.

Over the past few weeks we've had a number of meetings to discuss the Majors program for 2015 (and beyond). We still don’t know who will be heading things up going forward, but I don’t expect any Major (pun intended) changes to the number, format, or cost of those weekends. I’ll be returning to Topeka the week of Sept 8 and we have a goal of announcing the preliminary 2015 schedule by Sept 17.
    I'm sorry to see you leave, Butch. I appreciate all the work you've done.

Looking to the future, are we still on course to announce the preliminary 2015 Majors schedule today?

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    I'm sorry to see you leave, Butch. I appreciate all the work you've done.

Looking to the future, are we still on course to announce the preliminary 2015 Majors schedule today?
    Participated on a conference call with some of the Majors staff last night as my last "official" activity with SCCA. I asked that question specifically and was told they're now looking at issuing a press release tomorrow (Sept 18).

Still not sure how at this point, but (as the Frog says) I'll still be involved in racing in some capacity going forward.

See y'all at the track...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 66

Hey Butch, thanks so much for all your work.

And a big thank you for making the FB standing starts a reality this year in Seattle and Portland - those were a blast!

I look forward to seeing you at the track sometime. Have fun and good luck at the ARRC.

-John

Thread Information