Liked: 7

Default problem with fitting a new nose on a T492

Check the photobucket album below. We have problems with the driver's side wheel/tire not fitting under the front wheel well, whereas the passenger side is much further in. Any ideas before we start cutting the bodywork?
    Last edited by Daniel Thompson; 09.16.14 at 8:55 PM. Reason: incorrect url

Too late, cuts are made!

Liked: 8

Default It is Time

Daniel. looks good! Time to make a mold!

Just got my new SR4 nose this week. As there are no new ones in North America I am adding a nose mold to my collection.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Thanks Tom. Yes, time to make a mould.

Check the photobucket link, the nose has been repainted and is on the car. Looks good now. Off to the track!

Daniel

Liked: 123

I just finished cutting one of the splitters apart to widen it to fit the "new" nose. It's curing, I'll finish and paint it tomorrow.

Nice photo-album, some I hadn't seen before. In case anyone wonders why I took pictures of the uprights, one of them was probably from a T540 formula ford, which is a front steer car, and had been modified to yield some positive ackerman (Lola was building the cars with zero ackerman). When it was on the T492, which is a rear steer car, the ackerman pointed off into right field at about 15 degrees.... I fixed it.

Brian

Liked: 0

Where can the three piece body be bought?
    Thanks Bruce

I bought the three piece at Equinox Products in the UK and had it shipped over here.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 123

There was close to 50 hours and $500 in paint in that body before it sat on the chassis right. All three pieces got cut and shut, the nose that is pictured was the worst but the tail got a lot of work too. Only the nose was painted, the rest of the body is quite good gelcoat. Just be aware, maybe ours was an oddity.

Brian

Thanks. I have heard stories of the same type from others about english glass.
    Bruce

Liked: 8

Default Time for molds

Brian, now that you have all the panels where you want (need) them, time to make molds. Then you have the protection of having a ready source of parts that will fit if you ever need them....and you can now assist anyone else in NA that need parts.

This is said by the guy with way too many molds!

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 25

Default 492 molds

I have a set of molds and I will be making 3 new bodies this fall. Let me know if anyone needs any.

Tim Gaffney

My racing buddy wants a body but timing and money have a way of not occupying the same time. Let me know emcrace@ca.rr.com
    Bruce

Tim,

Are those the same molds that were used to make the Mofoco?

I think getting a body from Tim is the way to go. Shipping something from the UK that ends up not fitting is an expensive lesson!

Daniel

Liked: 25

Default 492 molds

Yes, these are the original mofoco molds

Contributing Member
    Liked: 895

Default 492 body fitting

I realize this is late to the thread. Especially since the body has been cut already.

I have only just finished restoring my 492, from complete basket case status. Ridden hard, then worked on by a ferrous bridge builder, then ridden harder and left to die. I picked away at this project for ten years but really put the hammer down in the last two.

Maybe 5-6 years ago, I contacted TW Mouldings in England re a new body. I have been told that they own most of Lola's own original moulds. Tony Waterman was a pleasure to deal with, and gave me a choice of a two or three piece body, either one in "original", heavy, or very lightweight glass. I chose a three piece in original weight, in white gelcoat.

It arrived packed as thought it was going to circumvent the world several times. Crated to death. Not a scratch.

We painted it, and it fits, I hate to say given your troubles, better than any body on any car I have restored. Where the fit is slightly less than perfect, I will take responsibility as I generally suck at this type of thing.

Only to say, it seems there are moulds everywhere. But a mould off a piece off a piece thrice removed from the original mould, may or may not be a great fit. The closer we get to the original mould is the best option in my view. FWIW, re older VD stuff, Universal Spares has been very good in this regard as well.

Cheers
    BT

BT,

Good job! Let's see some pictures of the completed car. I hope you are going to bring it out to Mosport for the Canadian Historic Grand Prix next June?

Daniel

Contributing Member
    Liked: 895

Default Lola 492

We will be there at Mosport. Pics to follow shortly. Just at platers today to have the new noseframe nickled, and picked up my newly painted scoop post modifications just today as well.

It would appear that I spoke too soon on my earlier post. The entire body fits great EXCEPT the carb scoop. It fits now.

Cheers
    BT

Excellent. See you at Mosport

Thread Information