Liked: 27

Default Aux. Battery Connection

I’m thinking about moving the auxiliary battery connection from the rear wing mount to the left side engine case, just in front of the left rear tire. I’ve seen it mounted there on several cars. How is everyone mounting it there?

I need to order new rear wing mounts anyways to mount my new FIA rain light.. The existing rear wing mounts will have too many unsightly holes in them when I remove the old rain light and install the new one.

Liked: 703

The argument for mounting the aux connector at the back of the car is in case you pull away from the false grid and forget the aux battery it will likely unplug itself. If it's in front of the tire it is less likely to unplug itself and you will catch it with a back tire, possibly ripping the connector out of the chassis and doing other damage.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    The argument for mounting the aux connector at the back of the car is in case you pull away from the false grid and forget the aux battery it will likely unplug itself. If it's in front of the tire it is less likely to unplug itself and you will catch it with a back tire, possibly ripping the connector out of the chassis and doing other damage.
    That’s a good point, thank you.

Liked: 1112

When a stranger comes running up to help you on the false grid he's going to be looking in the back.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

6. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

This and your less likely to run over your crews foot... speaking from experience lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Okay thanks for all your advise guys.

Default FIA Rainlight Car Connection

I just got done installing the new FIA rainlight on the new rear wing brackets and someone’s changed the electrical connector on the car.

Anyone got any ideas to get a matching connector to install on the car? It’s got a BNC connector on it now that I’ll remove. I’ve got an email in to starracecars.com to see if they have one.

Moses maybe?

From memory, it should be a 2 pin DTM?
    Id have to look on the car in the shop later today, i just put one on.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme1 View Post
    I just got done installing the new FIA rainlight on the new rear wing brackets and someone’s changed the electrical connector on the car.

Anyone got any ideas to get a matching connector to install on the car? It’s got a BNC connector on it now that I’ll remove. I’ve got an email in to starracecars.com to see if they have one.

Moses maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-One Racing View Post
    From memory, it should be a 2 pin DTM?
    Id have to look on the car in the shop later today, i just put one on.
    Could you look for me please and let me know. It would be super helpful to know. Was that on Jeff’s car?

Here’s a couple pics if that helps. I need to know what the other half of this is. These pics are from the rainlight pigtail.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3204.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	111049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	111050  

DTM06-2S i believe. Not at the shop right now but that looks to be a DTM plug. What is in your hand is the "male" side of the plug.
    You would need the female side which is (again that memory thing) DTM04-2P, along with the matching pins and crimpers and some good heat shrink.

All available off amazon in a pinch, but the quality sometimes is lacking.

Yes, Jeffs car.

Here’s a couple pics if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-One Racing View Post
    DTM06-2S i believe. Not at the shop right now but that looks to be a DTM plug. What is in your hand is the "male" side of the plug.
    You would need the female side which is (again that memory thing) DTM04-2P, along with the matching pins and crimpers and some good heat shrink.

All available off amazon in a pinch, but the quality sometimes is lacking.

Yes, Jeffs car.
    Awesome thanks. I found a kit on Amazon that has both sides of the plug already assembled. I’ll just have to solder and heat shrink the wires.

Does it matter which wire goes to which wire? I’ve got a 50/50 chance of getting it right, which means I’ll smoke my new rainlight lol. Both wires on the car are colored white. I haven’t cut the heat shrink tubing back very far so maybe they are different colors farther back?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Does it matter which wire goes to which wire? I’ve got a 50/50 chance of getting it right, which means I’ll smoke my new rainlight lol. Both wires on the car are colored white. I haven’t cut the heat shrink tubing back very far so maybe they are different colors farther back?
    Can you test with the old light?

Liked: 96

Use a test light. Probe each connector. Only one will be hot when switched on. An ohm meter to check which is ground will work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastminuteracin View Post
    Use a test light. Probe each connector. Only one will be hot when switched on. An ohm meter to check which is ground will work too.
    How will I know which is the hot lead on the rainlight?

I just cut back the wiring and heat shrink in the car wiring and there’s a blue and a black wire. I determined the blue wire is hot with 12.9 volts, so the black is the ground. Easy enough.

Now, how do I figure out which wire is which on the rainlight without cutting open the shrink tubing? Will it be a blue and black wire under the shrink tubing?

Will I smoke the rainlight or can the LED’s tolerate a backwards connection if I connect it incorrectly?

When I didn’t hear back from anyone, I had to figure it out. I did a smoke test and luckily I got it right the first try, or LED’s don’t care about polarity. I’m not sure which, but my new rain light is working/flashing.

With the male plug with the clip on top like in my pic, the blue wire from the car harness goes to the left side of that male plug. This is with me kneeling behind the car.

Hope this helps someone.

Liked: 1112

When I didn’t hear back from anyone, I had to figure it out. I did a smoke test and luckily I got it right the first try, or LED’s don’t care about polarity.
    They do. That's the Diode.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    They do. That's the Diode.
    Would the light not have worked if I had it backwards or POOF?

Thread Information