Thread: FST for Sale

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default FST for Sale…. Sold

Formula First for sale $3,800 (sold for very near asking price)

Strong running car, rugged and reliable!

History: This car, as the story goes, was originally built as a “one off” Formula Vee by an engineer from ether Tucson or Phoenix the name has been lost. around 2006 the car was converted to a Formula First by local builder Terry Murray. It had sat for about 4 years when I got it as a roller. previously the car was owned and raced as a FST by Tim Haskins and before that Josh Pitt.

Reason for selling: There has been no other FST running locally in the last year and there is a consistent full field of FF cars... This car has been a great vehicle to introduce me to road-racing and I would keep campaigning it if there were a few other guys to race with. Thanks to all the guys here at Apex and FormulaVee.org for your help in getting this car set up and it and me going.

Pros: Car is rugged, reliable, safe and easy to work on. Has an interesting steering system that I haven’t seen in photos of other car. Also a unique pull rod cantilever zero roll shock under the transmission. Car was entirely rewired, most connectors are soldered. New belts 2014, New gel battery 2014. New Cyl head temp gauge, new oil temp gauge.

Cons: Fuel cell is new but may not be SCCA compliant. Older powder type of fire bottle should be replaced with halon bottle, ASAP. Engine not dry sump, brake-bias is not driver adjustable engine case is a single relief valve.

Driver compartment: I am 6’1” with 32” inseam. The car may fit a slightly taller driver but not by much. Width of cockpit in shoulder area is 19 3/4 inches!

Engine: I got this engine as a core but it ran…. So I am using it as a test “mule” motor. It has suited me well and seems plenty fast. I installed SS push rod tubes, HD valve springs, lightened flywheel, new Sach PP and Empi Kush lock clutch disk. Not a dry sump oil system, has an Empi 1.5 Qt. deep sump. No Leaks!

Transmission: Shifts well, smooth. Was rebuilt about 6-7 race weekends ago. Very little free play in Diff. One side cover seeps a little oil.

Wheels and tires: Mounted set of FST spec American Racer tires. No spare wheels.

Open trailer available. See Post #10

Ask about delivery options.

Jeremy Call or Text 520-907-three four seven four. or PM through Apex,
    thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 02.05.18 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Different tires

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default More Photos and...

and some more photos...
    Note the steering installation, I am curious to know if this arrangement looks familiar to anyone.
    Formula First is allowed to run a rack and Pinion steering but the jury is still out on whether it is an improvement over the VW box(see the “Steering Racks?” thread in recent FV-General Discussion section). Car comes with spare German VW box.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Width of cockpit in shoulder area is 50 inches!

more like 15"?

VERRRY NICE LOOKING CAR

luv that steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know about the front shocks though

how do you keep it cool, i don't see any ducting?

btw that rear shock mount aduster is neat
    Last edited by provamo; 10.17.14 at 8:54 AM.

Contributing Member

Thanks for the compliments. The car sat out for a few years before I got it, a lot of details to clean it up....
    Wow not sure where that cockpit width number came from, it is wide but not that wide! will double check tonight.

Shocks were an old set that came with the buggy that supplied the engine. They seem to work alright the front wheels are not bouncing around, turns in nicely, no push.... But from what I've read here, that this "lay down" positioning of the shock may not be optimum as here is less wheel motion/ shock motion. Would be easy to change.

There was no cooling shrouds when I got the car, I/we with the ever helpful Pro-Auto guys, developed the cooling system track-side indenting the sides panels as shown and fabbing engine scoops from alum. sheeting and duck tape. Very crude but fairly effective, oil temp 180- cyl head a little hot at 500 on a 95 degree day. I am now making a better looking and tighter fitting scoops. Will post photos when completed. Thanks

Contributing Member

Default Correction

Provamo cought my mistake. The shoulder with in the drivers compartment is 19 3/4 inches.
    I was posting late at night, grabbed a household tape that is in both inches and cm, ran out to the car and measures in the dark.... 50 cm=19 3/4".
    Thanks j

Liked: 0

Default SR6

Cool You have my Fathers FVee there. We wondered what happened to it. Dad (Larry Sayers) built and raced this car in Colorado then AZ. SCCA log booked. Sold it to a guy that would obviously never race it . Glad to see PAS guys converted to FST. specs. Funny BC I owned a Terry Murray FST Also! After this car was raced. I had the same Experience in AZ being the only or one of Two FST on the track. WOn the 2012 Championship By showing up! LOL
    VW Style transaxles rebuilt!
    www.mrgasrebuilds.com

Contributing Member

Default Spares included in sale

One transmission core, 4.125 ratio, with torque tubes attached.
    2 German rear drum brake assembly's complete. (can sell or swap to your FV buddies).
    Bosch distributor with Pertronix ignition modual.
    Bosch coil
    Fan, shroud, generator assembly (was told this was the low drag model)
    Link pin front beam drum to drum, not modified for racing.
    Stock VW steering box.
    Set of adjustable push rod tubes for trackside repairs
    Various books and manuals.
    2 oil coolers, one factory, one aftermarket.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrGas View Post
    Cool You have my Fathers FVee there. We wondered what happened to it. Dad (Larry Sayers) built and raced this car in Colorado then AZ. SCCA log booked. Sold it to a guy that would obviously never race it . Glad to see PAS guys converted to FST. specs. Funny BC I owned a Terry Murray FST Also! After this car was raced. I had the same Experience in AZ being the only or one of Two FST on the track. WOn the 2012 Championship By showing up! LOL
    Glad you wrote in, I have heard the name Larry Sayers in connection to the car, didn't realize he was the original builder, I have been admiring the design and workmanship of the car while getting it track ready.When did he build it and start racing? I'm guessing that it probably had a different rear suspension design at first and at some point he redesigned it to the current design.
    It would be nice to track down the logbook, I think the guys down here would have passed it along but I'll check. Do you know who and when he sold it to? Also any photos of from back then would be cool to see too.
    Thanks for posting. Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 10.23.14 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contributing Member

Default FST 4 sale, price drop, delivery to.....

Will consider delivery to So. Cal., NM, Ok, Co. Nev. or inquire....
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 03.01.16 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Range

Contributing Member

Default Open trailer added to package

Trailer available.

Nothing special.....
    It's a 16 foot open trailer, home built tube frame, single axle, no brakes. Also just did a complete rewire has a trailer jack, a winch and 2 spare tires. Value $8-900 I'd say....
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 03.01.16 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Trailer upgrades

somebody should steal this deal!

Liked: 501

Bump. This is a nice entry level FST at a great price. Jeremy now has a Zink FF and will put a package together for a buyer on this car. Shipping is reasonable this time of year, as there are a lot of cars coming and going due to the Barrett-Jackson auction.

Liked: 14

I owned this car and raced it for one weekend.
    it was a very good car and would have loved to had raced it more, but there really wasn't any other cars, save one, who were showing up.

FST is a very good concept.

Josh

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    Width of cockpit in shoulder area is 50 inches!

more like 15"?

VERRRY NICE LOOKING CAR

luv that steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know about the front shocks though

how do you keep it cool, i don't see any ducting?

btw that rear shock mount aduster is neat

Look to the left of the steering wheel for the best part of the car ;-)

FYI; If we were in the market we'd consider this chassis!
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member

Laurence you noticed my "trick" Cyl head temp mount. Real estate is very scarce on the dash and was going to make something fancy but re-purposed an old can of fire roasted chilies, fit the gage nice and snug, just a dab of silicone.... Wasn't really going for the rat rod look though.
    Will add more about the frame and car history shortly
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 12.07.14 at 5:45 PM.

Contributing Member

Default Car construction and early history

I was able to contact and met with the car builder(and driver) Larry Sayers a few weeks ago. Larry built the car in the late 90's and campaigned it in the Formula Vee class with his son Greg crewing. They raced in the SCCA Arizona region and the car was fully homologated then. Larry sold the car to Tim Haskins sometime in the early 2000's where upon it was converted to a Formula First. Unfortunately all the paperwork along with a sister chassis were destroyed in a disastrous shop fire(this car was outside at the time).

Contributing Member

Default Price change and....

Now sporting proper FST tires
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 06.21.15 at 1:54 PM.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default FST 4 Sale price drop.

Price lowered $600, now $ 3,800
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 12.05.16 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Price

Liked: 501

Bump

Liked: 2

That little price for all this??
    I am going to find a way to get this. Get a loan, make payments to you, sell a testicle. I need this lol.

Liked: 6

Has the car been run in anger since you originally posted the ad?

Kinda sorta maybe interested.

Chris

Contributing Member

Default Update

Yes Eric was thinking of you, it's a sweet running car with lots of potential.

I ran it last last…. oh gosh about a year ago now, with the slicks. I fired the engine up just last week (usually once every 4-6 weeks) and was planning to take it out to the track this spring but work has got in the way, so far. J

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 768

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    and some more photos...
    that is a very sketchy way to mount the shoulder belts, with the bolt heads in bending rather than with the shanks in shear

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    that is a very sketchy way to mount the shoulder belts, with the bolt heads in bending rather than with the shanks in shear

missed that fail....easily remedied

Contributing Member

Default Good question.

Interesting point, It's a good installation the way I understand it…. with me (6'1") the belt goes straight up from the mounting point to my shoulder 3 maybe 4 inches then back down to the latch point so when cinching-in the bolt is in sheer also in a rollover situation the bolt would be in sheer, but in a hard frontal impact it could be in bending….????
    Maybe someone more experienced than I can comment.

Liked: 768

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    Interesting point, It's a good installation the way I understand it…. with me (6'1") the belt goes straight up from the mounting point to my shoulder 3 maybe 4 inches then back down to the latch point so when cinching-in the bolt is in sheer also in a rollover situation the bolt would be in sheer, but in a hard frontal impact it could be in bending….????
    Maybe someone more experienced than I can comment.
    yes, true, in a pure roll-over, the bolt may be in shear, but in the MUCH more likely case of a frontal impact, not only will the bolt be in bending, but your latest info makes the situation worse: if the belt goes up 4" before going over your shoulders, then in a frontal impact your spine will be crushed downwards! Fix this before you race again, please !

Contributing Member

Thanks Lotus7, this makes sense, I was coming from open wheel cars on dirt where a hard roll over is more common…. will re-do this mount. J

Liked: 2

Default Still for sale?

Is the car still for sale?

Contributing Member

Yes, call or text 520-907-3474. Jeremy

Contributing Member

Default Deposit received

Deposit received, will post when sold.

Contributing Member

Default Gone but not forgotten

This car has been purchased and going to So. Calif. for a father and 2 son team so potently we will have 2 new young formula car drivers!

Thanks you Apex (a nice donation is on the way) and thanks all who wrote in with comments and suggestions.
    Last edited by Jeremy Soule; 02.05.18 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information