Liked: 1

Default New F500 Interest...Questions!

Hi everyone, first off this is just brainstorming I'm not in the market for an F500 right now but have been toying with the idea of driving a formula car for a season just to get some experience as all my events have been in touring type cars. These also seem relatively cheap...so...how cheap? I've always loved the class growing up and the Runoffs race was exciting.

I'd be interested in just regionals for seat time. I'm on a tight budget this season and plan on driving an IT car with a friend but I'm sure I'll get an itch to tinker on my "own" car and my wife likes open wheelers. Lol Plus they're easier to work on from my experiences with friends.

So what could I get a race ready regional car for? I've seen a variety through the years but some are too far and some need a bit of work. I need to read the GCR for F500 but what tire size do you all run? What consumables am I looking at? Any major issues? I want something affordable and easy to work with. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Liked: 72

are you looking to purchase a two stroke or a Motorcycle powered F500?

Liked: 1

Good ol' 2 stroke, all the 600s I've seen are out of my price range.

Liked: 17

A race ready kbs. Mk7 5000. To 7000 depending on spairs.Still a great on the national level

Liked: 68

Anything at the lower price points is going to require some work, so don't be surprised by a fairly high maintenance cost and effort level for the first year or so as you learn the details of whatever car you buy.

That said, you absolutely cannot go faster for less money than F500/600. If you're willing to do some tinkering and figure these cars out, they are a flat-out blast to drive.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 896

An F500 with a 2 stroke is easily the best bang for the buck. To get a decent race ready car expect to pay at least $7k to get going.

A 4 stroke motorcycle powered F500 is a different kind of racing experience that is much more like other open wheel race cars in that you have to constantly shift gears and managing this is not easy. The cost of a used race ready 4 stroke is about 1.5 to 2 times what a used 2 stroke car costs for an equally competitive car. Your results may vary.

I have built and driven both kinds of F500s and they are both tons of fun to drive. They both require much different skill sets to maintain the cars and race at the front. While the 2 stroke is less $$ to get started as all the 4 stroke cars are typically much newer cars the 4 stroke has way less drive train maintenance.

The cost to compete at the very front of the F500 class is very close for both types of cars and I know because we have built and raced both types of F500s

Pick your deal and have more fun than any other open wheel class and at a lower cost except for maybe FVEE.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 5

BEFORE you spend any money - learn by reading ALL the posts here and on www.formula500.org/forum.php - and get hands-on experience with the F5/6 drivers nearest to your home. BTW, where do you live in GA? Help them work on their car and crew for them. The MORE you know the more you will avoid EXPENSIVE mistakes. Renting will help you in this process before you commit.

HTH,
    Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982

Thread Information