Liked: 0

Default Elden Mk6 1969 Formula Ford

Hello, this is my first post on this great forum. We need forums like this in the UK!!

I have recently bought a 1969 Elden Mk6, which was originally imported into the US by Jan Winkle who owned WREP Industries. We have been told that is was then owned by Max Maxfield who ran it a few times. He then stored the car before doing his duty in Vietnam. The car was stored for some time before being bought by Jack Bartelt and Dave Rudolph. We think Dave sold the car in 1996, but do not know who to.

The car was then imported back into the UK around 2005/6, and not touched by two previous owners to me. I have now started a complete restoration of the car which is just about to enter the final rebuild stage. Below are a few photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2954491...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2954491...in/photostream

I would really like to try and build a complete history of the car, as we know that Elden only made 4 or 6 cars, and there is a belief this is the only one left. I would be surprised if this is true, and so would like to know if there are any others.

All help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Duncan Andrews
    Worcestershire, UK

Liked: 95

Duncan,
    I don't remember the name of the guy we sold the car to, but I do remember he was from Colorado. I kind of remember that he was involved in vintage racing and owned several cars.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Liked: 0

Default You have my Car!

Duncan,

I owned this car. It was in the beginning stages of being restored at my dad’s shop, Jaguar Denver, in Denver Colorado. I know that the suspension was done, I think the breaks and clutch and all the bolts on the entire chassie were replaced. There was a fair amount of work done to it. I never drove it. I had the shop put it up for sale in early 2007, so I think that would be when it headed back to the UK.

It is funny, I just decided to do a quick google search for the MK6 to see if anything popped up and there it was my MK6 all the way in the UK. I did a fair amount of searching around and talked to Elden and I have never been able to locate another MK6 or even anyone that has seen one. Have you got it all fixed up? how does it drive?

Liked: 76

I drove one of the three or four that Jan Winkle imported in 1970-71. It was red at that time.
    The one I drove was raced in the U.K. and then sold to Jan. He brought in a few new ones but the business end did not work out and he sold off the car. Jan has been out of the racing business since about 1985. He was living around Madison,Wi. about a year ago.
    Butch
    Last edited by butch deer; 11.23.14 at 12:17 AM.
    butch deer

Liked: 1417

A little digging in his photos folders found what look to be the car in its finished state. Really well-done restoration. Nice work!

Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Truly gorgeous car ! Well Done, Indeed !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 319

My brother Jim bought a Mk 6 in a basket back in the 1980s and put it together. rebodied it with a Lola 340 top section and a Crossle 32 nose. Rather elegant looking, actually. He ran it a few times at Waterford Hills.

He sold the car to a friend in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. IIRC, it was written off at IRP sometime in 88 or 89.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 95

Kip,
    Did this car that belonged to your brother have a roll cage? The reason I ask is that the car once campaigned by importer Jan Winkle had the cage. I always wondered what became of it.
    Also, the first photo of Andrew's car in the Doug's post is how it looked when Dave Rudolph and I owned it.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Liked: 319

No it did not. I will email Jim and see if he can email me back a picture of it. If I get one I will post it here.

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Thread Information