Thread: tripod grease

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default tripod grease

Is it ok to use wheel bearing high temp grease (red) on needle bearing tripods ?

Steve

Forum Advertiser
    Liked: 5

Default Tripode Grease

we use and sell GKN Tripode grease. We also sell a tool to do it. Kevin at comprent

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default GNK

All I have ever used in the GNK tripod grease and have never had a problem. So see no need to try something else.

Ed

Liked: 282

Craig Taylor told me years ago they they tried all kinds of alternate greases. The only stuff that would make the Tripode bearings live was the actual GKN grease. It needs be a regular item re-greasing those -- usually done about every two to three weekends.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 1845

Always be careful about mixing different kinds of greases - some are chemically totally incompatible and will actually attack your parts. Went through this with a P car team years ago when someone tried to mix some wheel bearing grease with a CV grease - the CVs died within minutes of their first running.

Default removal of incorrect grease ?

Thanks for all the help, so now I need to remove the grease I used and repack, what is best for removal ?
    Steve

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by steve everard View Post
    Thanks for all the help, so now I need to remove the grease I used and repack, what is best for removal ?
    Steve
    An ultrasonic cleaner filled with CRC brake cleaner. If that isn't available... just brake cleaner in a bucket with some small scrub brushes. Use rubber gloves. When you pack the new grease, it will flush out most of the old.

Default grease packaging

What grease gun do you use with this correct grease because it will not work with my regular one due to the tube design. I gusess I could cut off the end that has the threaded nose but before I do I thought I would ask.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Just like packing a wheel bearing by hand.

Put a glob in your palm, work it into the open spaces in the joint til it comes out the other side all the way around

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by steve everard View Post
    What grease gun do you use with this correct grease because it will not work with my regular one due to the tube design. I gusess I could cut off the end that has the threaded nose but before I do I thought I would ask.
    I tried to put a zerk fitting on to make it "normal"; no dice - it puts too much restriction in the flow. You can go to one of the retail shops and get the right fitting(s) to connect a grease gun - it works really well.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 52

Find a 35mm film container, fill with GKN using caulk gun. Press the open end over the tripod bearing until grease comes out of the bearings. Refill container if needed and on to the next. Put the cap on film container when finished for next use. Credit Glenn Cooper with this procedure.
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

And I thought that I was the only living soul that had 35mm film cans around.

Unfortunately I still use them to store the rolls of film that I wind opff of my bulk roll / winder.

Thread Information