Liked: 667

Default Swift DB-1 steering rack question

The cover on my helicopter joint on my steering shaft has ripped, [hence the high-tech inner-tube wrap] When I get time to pull it for replacement, I need to know what I am getting into. Is this a "loosen the bolts, pull, then slide back in and tighten again," project, or is there more to it?

For bonus points: I pulled the cover on my fuel cell housing yesterday. Never been off the car as best I can tell. Anyone know what the small in-line metal thing in the fuel line is? Do they normally need replacement after say, 20 years?
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 11.21.14 at 3:24 PM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Maybe a check valve?

Now that you're this far, you may want to pull the fuel cell out and remove all the small sharp stones and pieces of safety wire that found their way in there.

Liked: 34

1) There are splines on the rack side so you can slide those off. My joint is welded on the steering wheel side. The shalf has a solid rod inside a tube so that the length can be adjust by moving the bolts to different holes, so it can be removed and worked on out side the car.
    2) I believe you are referring to the check valve or roll over valve. That is on the vent line. It has a low tension spring "trap door" that closes if the fuel presses against it (as in a roll over situation). You can GENTLY blow air into the fuel outlet line with the cap on and the fuel cell should inflate or expand-DO NOT OVER INFLATE! If the valve does not function properly, the air will be blowing out the check valve's opening and the cell will not inflate. You can turn your air compressor on and let it build to about 15-20 psi and then shut it off. Or be very careful with the process.
    Last edited by Dave SanF 50; 07.31.16 at 5:22 PM.

Liked: 145

Default Heli joint

Hmmmm same thing happened to my DB3........ Fixed it the same way....inner tube and tie wraps.......joint is fine and other than not looking as good we'll I am not going to say how many years I have run it like this

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Take the joint loose at the end not welded.

Put a couple layers of heat shrink tube in the color of your choice over it.

Reassemble

Liked: 30

Liked: 667

Thanks guys,
    i knew someone would know the answers.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information