Liked: 0

Default Suspension lesson needed. ;)

Can some of you help me understand exactly what is going on here? I understand the basics such as the bellcranks and the anti roll bars, but am having a hard time wrapping my head around the center section with the bumbstops that I circled in yellow . This is on an ALMS car
    Thanks.

Liked: 36

Looks like 3rd spring setup.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Here's a great explanation https://www.facebook.com/AutoRacingTechTips

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Suspension lesson needed. ;)

Thx for the great link :thumbup:
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Yes, thank you. "Liked" that page for sure. So in the photo I posted it seems that the springs are no longer the thing of choice, but rather bump stops. Very cool. Thanks again.

Contributing Member zangyomotorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default Front third spring

I designed this in 2007/2008 for the ARX-01b and derivative models. This front suspension won Le Mans twice in LMP2, and a couple of ALMS championships....

The item circled is the front 3rd spring. There are rubber bump stops to control pitch of the car under braking and under aerodynamic loading. The 3rd spring does not work in roll as there are bearings to isolate it. Bump stop rubbers are available in different spring and damping rates.

Controlling the car under pitch with a 3rd spring allows the main wheel springs to be softer which improves performance on many rough tracks and over curbs.

What you don't see is the anti-roll bar which is located behind the Multimatic/Dynamic canisters. This is a "U" type anti-roll bar. There are 2 links which activate the anti-roll bar.

I can't disclose more that this..

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Suspension lesson needed. ;)

Truly brilliant !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 106

I'm curious about one thing:

When the right front (RF) hits a bump (and compresses the RF spring) doesn't the 3rd spring setup try to force the LF spring to extend, thus raising the LF side of the car?

Ah - looking again - does the 3rd spring move the small amount required to allow the LF to remain 'in place'?
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

It is kinda hard to wrap your head around I think. I believe that the forces of the anti roll bar take the lead here.

This is a cool video that if you watch closely, you can somewhat see the action of this system.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...&v=9Ej-meauL94

Thread Information