Liked: 1

Default Helmet fit shapes??

I'm in the market for a new SA2010 helmet after buying an FF today from a forum member.

I can't find much information about helmet interior shapes. Its generally known that Simpson helmets fit long skinny heads and Bell fit more round heads. Having owned both brands, the Simpson fit my noggin better.

I have a high dollar Arai motorcycle helmet and Arai makes different models for different head shapes, just not for SA helmets.

But, what about Pyrotect such as their Pro Airflow Full?

or HJC?

Zamp?

Maybe some folks can provide some of their own experience with different helmet manufactures.

Thanks.

Liked: 934

Pyrotect is Bell's entry level brand.

for HJC. Try them on, take your time and get a good fit.

Don't know Zamp, but they have some nice features.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 79

To me it's a personal deal, go somewhere that has them all and try them on.

Personally I wouldn't put anything except a Bell on my head, they fit me perfectly and have arguably saved my life more than once, I won't wear anything else.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 0

I just bought a ZAMP RZ-34. I personally find they offer nice features and quite the bang for the buck. Stylish, air vents, removable padding for thorough cleaning.

It's pretty snug fit though. Some people have complained other models of ZAMP create a tight spot on forehead. I have yet to do one event with it, so time will tell if it's good.

I think it needs to wear in to allow the padding to conform to the head.

I also read a helmet fitment article saying the helmet should put all the way in so your head reaches the top. It might be true, I put it all the way and the fit felt better.

Anyway, I read here that ZAMP is rebadged Bell Europe.

In reality though, many helmets are contracted and produced by few major OEM companies in China now. All that matters is the design in place for different fitment.

I know fit is important that's why I'm asking what people think of the interior shape of their helmets. That might narrow down my search or other folks looking for a helmet. For example, Bell's, at least one that I have used, are just too wide on me. To get it to fit fore an aft on my head, it would be loose side to side. What fits you well, may not fit the next guy.

Bell - Round shape

Simpson - Narrow Long shape

brand x - oval
    etc, etc

Looking for something like this webpage would be ideal, but I haven't found anything for SA helmets. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
    Last edited by bpracer; 07.05.14 at 1:14 AM. Reason: added website

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Lots of relevant info and opinions from owners and dealers for various brands here...
    http://http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50108&highlight=Helmet+shape

Rule of thumb on fit for popular brands:

Ovoid head shape: Stilo, HJC, Arai, Simpson

Round head: Bell (and I suppose their off-brand Zamp)

Use the search function at the top of the page to help answer your questions.
    aaron

Liked: 68

WRD's advice is quite right. My helmet painter is a dealer for all the major brands. I go there and try them all until I find the right fit. I just bought an Arai and so did my teammate. One nice feature the Arai offers is optional cheekpads in different thicknesses so you have at least some ability to adjust the fit. Try them all on until you find the right thing.

Regards,
    EG

P.S. Don't cheap out on a helmet, your head should be valuable to you
    EG

Liked: 3277

Default YMMV

In my case, Simpson helmets fit me well. Bell helmets squeeze me on the sides of my head near the eyes, causing me to have vision problems. So, just because Bell's are (supposed to be) wider, they are too narrow in that one area for me. You really do need to try helmets on to assure a good fit.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

As you do your shopping - make sure and note that some helmets have replaceable cheek pads, to help size the old "bean." Seems like other pads could also be "adjusted" too.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a "pour and mold" service available. My first flight helmet fit like CRAP - then after a Pour and Mold - fit like a glove, and no hot spots. Mind you, that was in the 70's and not a SNELL certified helmet. But foams have come a loong way since then.

Cheers - Jim

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    WRD's advice is quite right. My helmet painter is a dealer for all the major brands. I go there and try them all until I find the right fit. I just bought an Arai and so did my teammate. One nice feature the Arai offers is optional cheekpads in different thicknesses so you have at least some ability to adjust the fit. Try them all on until you find the right thing.

Regards,
    EG

P.S. Don't cheap out on a helmet, your head should be valuable to you
    EG

For Arai, Was a Bell only guy had three and one did a great job when I flipped, but Arai saved my sons life after he high sided a Honda at over 60mph, after looking at all the construction techniques of each I have been with Arai for my last three SA2000, SA2005 and now SAH2010..... will not put anything else on ....

Regardless what brand fits you the best and has the right features for what you are using it for I agree with EG DON'T CHEAP ON THE HELMET..... YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.......... Don't think it won't happen to you

Good luck and Good racing
    Don Nelson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nelson View Post
    EG DON'T CHEAP ON THE HELMET..... YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
    This is BS. Face the fact that when it comes to helmet safety you are facing too many variables to know what you are paying for. Using a high price as a criteria is just a security blank approach that has no validity.

You can always manually compress the foam to illuminate high spots.

Brian

Brian,

You are right. I said "Don't cheap out on a helmet", but I never said you get what you pay for. BPracer is on the right track asking for other drivers' experience with different brands. Years ago I always bought Simpson helmets that fit me well and seemed well made. I stopped buying Simpson after they treated me like crap as I tried to buy a helmet. I then bought a Bieffe GP that served me well for quite a few years. I did a lot of research before my next helmet and settled on an HJC HX11 that was a licensed copy of the Schuberth. Next was an HJC HX10. I still have both HJC's and they are still legal so I still use them. In my opinion HJC makes a helmet that is safe, comfortable and a good value for the dollar. This past weekend I wore my newest helmet for the first time. That helmet is an extravagance and not in everybody's budget, but is super comfortable, cutting edge safe and pretty to boot! Arai GP6 RC. Is it worth what I paid? Probably not, but it feels good to know I have a well engineered helmet protecting my noggin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So... I bought an Arai GP6S as I already had an Arai Corsair V cycle helmet to go as a pattern for their shape. Arai does offer different shapes in motorcycle so be careful if you use a motorcycle shop to figure out| your size. The Corsair helmet seems to be an exact size match for the GP6.

Arai seems to run a little small in compared to Simpson. If I had gone by size charts I would have got too small a helmet.

Now the controversial part for some... There is no place close try a GP6. Looking on ebay, you can get a great deal on Arai's via Japan. So I took a chance on a buyer with a long history and that had recently sold this particular item. Ordered it midnight Thursday and it was delivered Tuesday, $590, including $60, in express shipping.

SAH2010 and FIA sticker as you would expect, it just has Japanese only instructions.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
    So... I bought an Arai GP6S as I already had an Arai Corsair V cycle helmet to go as a pattern for their shape. Arai does offer different shapes in motorcycle so be careful if you use a motorcycle shop to figure out| your size. The Corsair helmet seems to be an exact size match for the GP6.

Arai seems to run a little small in compared to Simpson. If I had gone by size charts I would have got too small a helmet.

Now the controversial part for some... There is no place close try a GP6. Looking on ebay, you can get a great deal on Arai's via Japan. So I took a chance on a buyer with a long history and that had recently sold this particular item. Ordered it midnight Thursday and it was delivered Tuesday, $590, including $60, in express shipping.

SAH2010 and FIA sticker as you would expect, it just has Japanese only instructions.
    Your Japanese a little rusty? Good luck with the new lid.

EG

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Your Japanese a little rusty? Good luck with the new lid.

EG
    It is all very obvious...

I spent a month in Tokyo last year completely befuddled by written Japanese the entire time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information