Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    They do that in Formula One which is a 2 hour race. Why would you want all of that confusion in a 20 to 40 minute race?? As Peter says, a terribly expensive technology leap at the club level for no real reason.
    He's got you convinced its expensive too.... I guess there is already an overpriced solution you've got a quote for?

Some guys have data collection systems. Some do not. Should they be banned? They cost more...

Liked: 348

It isn't just the radios. It's the real time data component that I think is inappropriate. As for radios being expensive, have you priced them? I own one that was cheaper a dozen years ago than all but the minimalist cell phone today.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    When have I said anything bad about radios?
    Here is what I have to say: radios are bad because they are too expensive. I think other tech can be delivered more inexpensively.

I never said I want anyone to spend more money.
    If a better solution can't be delivered at a lower cost, I am not for it.

I am willing to consider the options. You've already decided you don't like it because it's more expensive, but no one has priced anything yet. Did someone give you a quote?

In the 70s a computer system with 105mb of storage cost $150,000. Today your smartphone stores more info, processes faster and communicates with the rest of the world. $500.

You don't think 80 year old radio technology could be improved?
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 91

Going back to using the earbuds and mic, the mic on thsoe can barely be understood in a loud road car. The crew would never understand a driver speaking over one with a race engine running. The mic is the weak link in a normal racing radio system. It is why we cover it up as much as possible and have it pressed right against the driver's lips to understand them. The earbuds idea is a good one to be able to hear the crew if you set the phone to mute on the driver's side. I am thinking about trying it. If you have to stop out on the track, you could then talk to the crew, too. One thing, like a radio, to make sure is that it is secure enough and not in a place to injure you if it comes free in a crash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information