Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 824

Default Single Class Racing at Road Atlanta ARRC?

At the (FV Only grouping) Barber Majors this past weekend, I talked to the Atlanta Competition Director about the possibility of an FV ONLY group at the ARRC the first weekend in November. He was quite receptive to the possibility but we need to know how many drivers would make the trip. With the Runoffs being in California this year and MANY veer’s opting NOT to go, I wonder how many might come run an Eastern FV Runoffs at the ARRC. This is a three day event with Qualifying on Friday and Saturday morning, with ARRC races on Saturday afternoon. There are feature races and an enduro on Sunday – one of which would be an FV ONLY RACE if we choose to participate. Although this is by far incomplete at this time, based on previous years, participation in the ARRC races is NOT required for the Sunday feature races, so it COULD be a one day event if you choose. You can also race in the ARRC races, but … unless most of you signed up for that as well, we would not have FV only for those sessions. I might GUESS that registration for the Feature Race would be around $250 - $300 and the ARRC races would be a similar number .. but it’s just a GUESS at this point. There is also usually an associated Test Day on the Thursday preceding (~$250 For 3 or 4 sessions) that usually also allows ½ day for the afternoon sessions depending on expected participation .. based on the race entries.

I have been asked to try and gauge how many cars would show up for this “Eastern FV Runoffs” at the track that hosted the Runoffs for 24 years in a row, the last time being in 1993. The ARRC has been held there in early November since that time and this will be the 20th consecutive year. Many of the individual classes have opted to have their Championships decided at this event in past years. There is no “qualification” required for this event – it is open to ALL SCCA FV competitors with a full competition license and a legal car. We pulled 12 cars to Barber last weekend with a LOT of serious competition and very short notice. I’m thinking we can triple that number for the ARRC.

If you have any questions, send them to me and I will post anything of general interested in the MSR sign up. This is NOT the official signup for the race .. just a preliminary to see if we have a shot at doing FV ONLY again. This registration will be open for ONLY ONE WEEK – Closing on Sunday night, so consider this ASAP and sign in for it if you would like to come.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...sfv1200-991961
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 247

The mid ohio weekend was a blast, this would be a great way to end off the year.

OK guys .. we are almost halfway to the goal of 30. Come on ... gotta be some more out there with an interest in getting back to Atlanta again.
    (see link in post #1).
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 302

Done, if the car is not apart for the winter modifications I'll be there.

Liked: 174

I'm in!!

Bump, up to 22!

Topped out at 23 ...

We didn't quite make the numbers I had hoped for, but the Atlanta Competition Director (Nick Voigt) has given us the GO AHEAD - this race WILL HAPPEN. I will post here when registration opens. Can we call this an East Coast FV Championship?? A few more cars would make it much more so. It would certainly be "interesting" to field more cars here than Laguna a few weeks prior, but the reasons are obvious.

Please keep this date (Oct. 31 - Nov. 2) on your calendar and TALK IT UP to your FV friends. I hear that HPD is signing up alongside GRM to be a presenting sponsor and, like Barber, will again bring a group of Ariel SpecRaceAtom cars (uses CRX engine/drive train). I'm expecting FV to be the highlight of the weekend though, so bring your best and let's give them a good show. I will REQUEST that FV be given the first race slot after lunch on Sunday .. with a morning qualifying session specifically for the Feature Race. That will provide the best possible time frame for those with long tows home.

They are also working on an event T-Shirt to be included with each driver entry.

BTW - Anna Qualls has put FV on Twitter so, if you are a tweeter, chime in - @usa_fvee_racing

following another thread .. if there is any interest, I could probably make arrangements to allow FV's running the Canadian Falken Radial Tire configuration to join our group. Think about it and someone contact me with numbers (Steve at WedgeRacing com) - Ray .. I'm talking to YOU ....
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 126

Hey Steve I will get the word out to the guys as for me I am going to Laugna to help out Russ. I will not be able to attend, I will let the F1200 guys know also Derm & Des get the word out up there.

Ray C

Quote Originally Posted by rcarmody View Post
    ... I am going to Laugna to help out Russ...
    Ray C
    Good luck out there to all 'east coasters' headed that way. I'll sure miss being there with you.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 1

Default Runoffs

For all you racers on the East Coast. We have been coming East for the runoffs for close to 40 years, 2 to 3 weeks at a time. This adds up to about 1 1/2 years of coming East, and you do not even acknowledge us on the West. Instead you want your own Runoffs, you will not even come to the West for 1 year, we support the East but you will not support us on the West, I feel sorry for you. After Laguna it will be at
    Daytona, and once again I will be coming East, I do not really want to, but I am. So I have absolutely no sympathy for any of your complaints about going out West. Ron Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ronniec650 View Post
    ... So I have absolutely no sympathy for any of your complaints about going out West. Ron Chuck
    Ronnie,
    I understand how you feel, but money and time is .. money and time. We don't all earn our living by racing and we have to make decisions. I don't recall a SINGLE "complaint" from this end about the Runoffs being at Laguna this year. I think it's great - but I never expected the escalation in costs with the "new model" of SCCA. I would LOVE to be there, but cost, lack of information from National, and the sheer logistics of the trip are preventing me from making the trip. I hope to some day be able to enter a race at Laguna - it IS a track that's on my bucket list.

I don't consider "our own runoffs" a replacement for the real event.. just a CONSOLATION prize opportunity for those like me that cannot make the trip.
    Steve, FV80

This has no effect on those who are going out west for the runoffs, this event is just something for those who had already planned on sitting out this year.

Thanks Mr Davis for organizing this and everyone else that is involved.

Default In the FWIW department

A quick analysis of FV Runoffs participants in the last 5 years shows ...
    2013 - 6 of 48 from West of the Rockies to Road America
    2012 - 5 of 37
    2011 - 3 of 34
    2010 - 5 of 33
    2009 - 6 of 30

On the contrary .. I see
    2014 - 10 of 36 going to Laguna from East of the Rockies.

I'd say that's pretty decent over all .. about twice as many making the trip this year compared to past years.

Enough said .. it's just the way things work. I don't make nearly as much money in retirement as I did when I was working .. and I don't get *ANY* vacation time any more .

As said before.. I WISH I could be there and I'll be CRYING on race day.

Hmmm.. how many years has it been since a west coast guy WON ?? Maybe THIS IS YOUR YEAR !?! USE it to your best advantage...
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 1

Default Runoffs

Glad to see people read this site. Once again I say 40!!! years of coming to the East coast. I will not see you this year, but I will next year. Ron

Well.. I can claim 34 years since my first Runoffs.. not quite 40, but a LONG time.
    sd
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 69

Steve

When you compare the numbers of drivers from the East attending the Runoffs this year compared to west drivers going East are not a good comparison. Everyone knows that there are far less West Coast drivers.

I bought my modern Vee in early 2013 and was going to try and qualify for the 2014 Runoffs regardless of where they were going to be. East or West Coast. I was told about the separation of East coast drivers and West Coast drivers but I was still so excited to finally get the chance to drive with you all (after watching you guys for many years). Especially after being at the 50th birthday party in GA at Roebling Road and watching you guys having a great race.

I to was not thrilled about the cost and lack of communication either, but I will NOT let it detour me from finally getting the chance to be part of this elite group of Vee drivers.

I do understand that this special race is like a consolution race but it really looks/seems like the west getting blown off after going East for the last 40 years. I hope this does not push more West coast drivers away. It is hard enough to get good races in modern vees over here.

Kim Madrid
    FV 29

Atlanta Region has been holding the ARRC since the runoffs left Road Atlanta. What Steve is trying to do (successfully) is get an ALL V event instead of the usual wings and things group. Those from the east that are making the trip west will still be there. If some of those that decided not to go come to the ARRC at least we will have one more all FV event. What's not to like?

Liked: 17

Oct 31 - Nov 2 - not much else happening ....
    Registration is closed, Will it open again? .... in case people decide they want to go.

john
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

John,
    That was just a "are you interested" registration to get an idea of how many people MIGHT come to the event.

The official registration for the event itself is some weeks away yet, but we would hope that more people will GET interested and actually come to the race.

It's still a bit over 2 months away .. hope to see you there. I'll post here when registration opens.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 5

A neat little thing that is being planned at the ARRC is Halloween Trick or Treating in the paddock that night. I suspect that there will be some outrageous costumes so bring the family and have some fun.

Jim

OK folks.. Registration for the 2014 FV Eastern Championship at the Road Atlanta ARRC is now OPEN... (as well as all of those OTHER classes )
    The link for registration is
    http://msreg.com/ARRC-Participant-Registration2014
    We hope to have a big crowd there for the Sunday Championship Race. - It'll be SINGLE CLASS Grouping .. FV ONLY, for both qualifying and race!!
    I'll see you there...
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 388

Hmmm....I've always wanted to try Road Atlanta.....

Come on DOWN, Mike .
    It could be another feather in your hat! You could see if you can eclipse Laura's track record .
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 76

Steve;
    For Years the ARRC called itself a self proclained regioal run offs. ou said full competition licences are necessary. Are regional drivers no longer welcome
    butch deer

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    Steve;
    For Years the ARRC called itself a self proclained regioal run offs. ou said full competition licences are necessary. Are regional drivers no longer welcome
    Probably just means no novice permit holders.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

you said full competition licences are necessary.
    That's all SCCA has anymore. There are no regional/national license's anymore. I would guess if you hold a regional license, when you renew it becomes the new type.

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    Steve;
    The ARRC was basically, in it's latest reincarnation, a National IT runoffs .. with a few other classes thown in. The IT classes have somewhat declined (as has every other class except SM) in recent years.

However... to answer your question, "Regional" drivers are certainly WELCOME at the ARRC. Initially, Runoffs qualified drivers were EXCLUDED, but now pretty much anyone is allowed as long as they have a "full competition" license .. which, as pointed out previously, is the ONLY license currently available from SCCA other than 'Pro' or Novice Permit. In fact, the Novice Permit is only marginally available these days, as MOST decently competent drivers can acquire a full comp license in a single weekend.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 0

Default FV at the HPD ARRC by GRM

On November 2nd, some of the hottest Formula Vees in the country will take the green at Road Atlanta for, what is dubbed, the FV Eastern Championship. We expect to have the current and last year’s Eastern Conference Champions along with the current and past track record holders. The 2013 National Champion is also considering making the trip.

This will likely be the most hotly contested Formula Vee event since the Runoffs were last held at Road Atlanta in 1993. We can look forward to a new track record for Formula Vee’s to be set at this years Honda Performance Development American Road Race of Champions presented by Grassroots Motorsports!

It's less than a month off now, the Honda Performance Development American Road Race of Champions presented by Grassroots Motorsports at Road Atlanta on October 31 & November 1 & 2. As the 2014 racing season draws to its end, the 21st running of the HPD ARRC by GRM is positioning itself to provide championship caliber competition with the fun that Club Racing is all about.

Registration link: http://msreg.com/ARRC-Participant-Registration2014

Please join us at Road Atlanta for a great race experience

And I have asked the ARRC Chief Steward for a three way split start - FF/CF/FC then F600 then FV/FST - AND I have asked for only ONE pace car figuring that each group can keep their own distance behind. The Chief Steward sees no problem with this but wants to wait until Monday before the ARRC in order to see IF the number of entries will justify this arrangement.

Jim

Bump

The ARRC entry list shows only two FC's in Group #5 which has 23 entries and the Wings group (#3) has only 10 entries, I have asked the Race Chair to move the FC's to Group #3 and do an email blast to let all know about this change. The reason is to make Group #5 more homogeneous speed-wise along with evening out the two groups entry-wise. I am awaiting his response.

Jim

Sorry guys, but I won't be able to make it. My car has some pretty major damage from my first lap incident at laguna. The car hasn't even made it back to the shop yet, so there is no way I can get it fixed in time.

Good luck to everyone and I hope it's a good event.

MV

Michael,
    A bitch about the Runoffs for you. It didn't LOOK on the video that the damage was much more than a wheel and/or tire. Seemed the only reason you couldn't continue was the flat tire .. and, of course, being STUCK in the gravel. Did it shift the front beam or something? Just surprised to hear the damage was significant.
    Steve, FV80

Thanks Steve. It was a harder hit then it looked. The front beam is folded back and cracked. It also got the nose, side pod and a few other pieces. I need to check the front steering rod, spindle, and backing plate too. The front wheel is folded like a taco, so the spindle im sure is suspect.

Not much I could have done about the whole thing.

Wow.. The perspective from the back just didn't show the veracity of the hit! Sorry you can't make it down.
    Good luck on getting it all back in shape for next season.

I'm still working on issues from my crash at Summit Point, but almost there ... I think.
    Steve, FV80

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

The speed cast broadcast shows how hard Dennis hit Mike. Not surprised there is significant damage.
    Scott

Just an update - it is looking good that the FC/CFC's will be moved to Group #3.

It has been confirmed that the CFC/FC's are now in Group #3. I am awaiting confirmation about the three way split start with one pace car.
    Steve Davis, are you running on Saturday?

Jim,
    Not planning to run the ARRC races .. just the FV 'feature' on Sunday.
    Steve, FV80

17 signed up now, hopefully we'll end up with 20!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information