Thread: Tires

Liked: 2

Default Tires

Can anyone tell me what tires you are using up in Canada, how well they handle, how long they last and how expensive they are? I'm in the New England Region and there is a lot of debate going on about tires. We currently are running Hoosiers. The life cycle is relatively short, they handle well and are damn expensive. $800 - $900 per set. There is talk about using a different tire, some guys are looking at the American Racing tire which is about 30% cheaper and last a little longer than the Hoosiers. I have run up at Watkins Glen and have seen f1200 on Faulkins is that what everyone is using? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Current F1200 tires last for between 2-3 seasons. Bill Vallis who runs arrive & drive finally changed a set after 3 seasons including full test days with the same driver running at or near the front of the grid. Cost is in the $600.00 range I believe.

It is a spec tire so to answer your question, yes everyone is running them here.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4303

Attachment 47920

Tom,
    You should contact Ray Carmody. Member "rcarmody".
    He's taking a leadership role and has all that info for NorthEast US competitors. The pic is from Pocono last weekend where Ray, Dean, Steve, and a 4th car raced on the Falkens.
    Last edited by problemchild; 12.17.16 at 9:28 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 18

wow...nice job Ray et al.
    4th car is Des...from our series.

3rd season on mine (full seasons + evening Libre races at Calabogie)
    Still look and run great.
    Will likely last mid way trough next season too...only because tread depth makes them too slippery for a rain race.

Liked: 15

It's our 4th season and two test days a year on them. Still fast and consistant.
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Default Wow

Thats a lot of run time on one set of tires. What sizes are alllowed and is it restricted to just the Faulkins?

Liked: 51

Tom

As Greg said you need to contact Ray . He ,Greg Davis and Rob De Palma have put a lot of work into The Challenge Cup Series. We had an extra set of tires there that a couple of other drivers took advantage of and were pleasantly surprised with the tire package. Tire price at Vulcan Tires is $84.00 each

I am very fortunate to have the F1200 drivers association here in Canada that put on a great Series and rules package making for a strong and stable class. I also like to try different tracks and had a blast at Pocono . looking forward to the final Challenge Cup
    event at the Glen.

Cheers
    Desmond

Liked: 100

Just to a dd the tire discussions. I spoke with Diamond Wheels and they the rims for $80 a piece if you want to order them refer to job number 49236. If you any more info feel free to contact me.

Derm
    DERM

Liked: 126

Default tires

The challenge Cup allows you to run either slicks or radials we have adjusted the points structure so it is fair for the guys on the radials to compete for the championship, this is are second year with the challenge cup, I am hoping more guys switch to the radial the reason we went with the falkens is because we wanted to be able to race up north with the f1200 guys and have them come down and race with us. the problem now is some guys do not like the looks of the cars nor do they like the tires, cannot please everyone, they are slower then the slicks but if everyone is on them who cares I ran up at Mosport a couple of weeks ago and had a blast with the guys great racing for the lead between 5-6 cars. Some of the things being said is what if I want to race another SCCA race I still need slicks we all have options, We do not have to run the falkens in our series we can come up with what ever the guys want but with that said we had guys call and order tires, getting people to change is hard but I can say for myself I am having fun, I do hope that if other areas or series go to a radial tire that we could all agree on what tire it would be then if the guy wants to go and race in that area they would be all set. If each series starts getting good car counts you might be able to go and work in your own race group., that has happened for our series. Greg and Rob have put alot of time and effort into this and I really what to thank them I think with more people involed this could be a great little series. Hopefully more people will jump on board. Also Chris Elwell our points keeper thank you . Complemar for stickers, shirts, food, Thank You with out you guys this would not be happening.

What model and size tire do you guys use? I would like to get a set and have the guys down here try them. I think the only way to get people to change is to let them race on them. We ran the the Last Chance at the Glenn last year and the guys on the radials were not that much slower than the Hoosiers, What kind of time differences are you guys seeing?

Liked: 51

Falken Azenis RT 615K
    195/60r14 86h

Liked: 111

Default Radial vs Hoosiers

On a thread last year the talk was of manifolds and spec tires... It was said that if you spread the cost of a $1200 manifold over 10 years it's not that expensive.... load of crap. So when the posts turned to tires I did the math on the Hoosiers vs Falken radials. The Canadians run a 6 weekend series and have three races per weekend, plus a Saturday qualifying session, so I based the comparison on 4 sessions per weekend X 6 weekends x 10 years. I used the , at the time nationals weekend schedule. Usually 2 qualifying sessions + one race. Although I've seen lots of guys using new tires every national weekend, I used the "oh, we only have new tires every other weekend" . So with the Canadian tires lasting at least three seasons ( I did a durometer test on 1,2 & 3 year old tires - nearly identical readings) and nationals every 6 sessions a new set of Hoosiers. I bought a set of Falkens and they were $300 a set delivered to the states so I used that figure. The last time I bought a set of Hoosiers they were $760. plus both figures were unmounted and unbalanced. Over the 10 year period the Falken radials will cost you $1500. and the Hoosiers $30,000. That's why Ray Carmody is working so hard on this series. My guess, if every Formula Vee driver printed out the cost comparison and showed it to his wife, girlfriend or significant other .... we'd have a spec radial tire fairly quick...

Liked: 111

Default Falkens vs Hoosiers

Carroll Smith once said "a race car is anything you install a race car driver in.." so if the cars are a bit slower and everyone is on them ...what difference does it make.

Liked: 100

Gentleman
    I have watch the discussion as well, relating to the tire debate and I would like to give you this comparison, that may help you understand things a little better
    Growing up I bet at one time in your life you went to a go cart track with your family or friends and preceded to race and dual like it was the Monaco GP or the final lap of the Indy 500. You raced wheel to wheel( all the while do so at speeds of 20 miles an hour) not thinking about the speed, but how to pass before the checker comes out. Remember the joy you felt as you jump out of the cart to greet your friends and family and share the laughs of your driving skills. ( or lack of them) Well gentleman I can tell you that racing on the radials is a very similar experience. Its not about speed, its about racing. As the fields dwindle in FV I am sure more and more of you are finding racing alone no fun especially after a 4 hour tow. Last year in the F1200 series not once did I run without at least 2 other cars to race with, and in some case as many of 8 others nose to tale.
    We need to find a way to increase fields and bring back the racing and I truly believe the concept of radicals will do just that. We all love the sport, so lets be smart about things. It was discussed on the weekend to start a FV association dedicated to growing the fields and revitalizing the class, which in turn will lead to our own races. ( not wings and things) Lets face it gentleman if we don't do something we may not have a class to run.
    In order for this to work we need the support of those involved in the class. I understand change is hard, but I can tell you the people behind this change really do love this class and are doing so for the benefit of all of us.
    DERM

Liked: 126

Hey Al thanks for the shout out but there is a group of guys that would like to see this take off. Everyone has choices to make the series it is here if it takes off great if it doesnt you cannot say we did not try, the more people that get involved the better, I know I have had a lot of intrest in what the guys are trying to get done. We have a few guys that run the series and do not like the looks of the rims and tires but no one else is coming up with something different oh well they can stay on the hooisers. If you look at what has happen to F2000 F1600 they have a great series. We all enjoy racing are cars I am tired of the results of our races at the Majors/Nationals being decided by other classes braking off the pack or running into us or just taking the corner away when its not theirs it seems to happen all the time now. Everyrace I have been to this year I heard the vee guys upset with other classes in there group. It would be great to see vees in there own group the only way that is going to happen is car counts and a group of people going to the regions pushing for this if you have the numbers you have a voice.

Ray Carmody

Liked: 36

FALKEN hell!!!its obvious what the answer is....end of story

Thread Information