Thread: Shippert

Liked: 21

Default Shippert

Hearty congrats to Ethan Shippert for doing Gilles Villeneuve’s Formula Atlantic justice at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion this past weekend at Laguna Seca.

Ethan convincingly won both all-Atlantic races over a deep, talented field which included some ex-pros and at least a couple recent SCCA Runoffs champs with his quick, smooth, and visibly decisive drives… Oh, and a couple moments of crossed-up flair thrown-in in deference to that car’s particular heritage;-)

Beautifully done.

Race 2 results here:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/ma.../grp_8b_rr.pdf

Perfect primer for the FF Runoffs!!!

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Thanks Michael, it was a pretty awesome experience. The first race was pretty brutal, I was pushing pretty hard with Eddie Lawson, Danny Baker, and Wade Carter looming large in my mirrors as they scrapped it out for P2. 2 laps from the end however, Lawson blew up his gearbox in spectacular fashion. The ensuing oil slick ended the day for a couple of unfortunate competitors as they found themselves skating into the tires, gravel traps, or into one another.

So we started race 2 down a few cars, but it was still a good battle at the front between Baker and I. Got a gap just before we hit lappers and was able to stretch it out.

A quick backstory... This car was purchased by the Norman Racing Group at the end of the '77 season from Ecurie Canada. It was the car that Gilles Villeneuve won all but one of his '76 Atlantic races in. (The exception being a rain race at Westwood where he ran his backup car.) Jon Norman and Dan Marvin restored it in 2004 and have campaigned it regularly since. Dan Marvin, (hero driver to all us mechanics) is usually seen laying waste to the competition in this car but decided to take a year off from Monterey this year.

It was a great experience, and I couldn't have hoped for better from my first Atlantic race and my first race at Laguna Seca!
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

Sounds like a dream ...... Nice job!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 13

Default Shippert

Kudos Ethan, great drives all weekend. You went by me like I was tied to a post.
    Allen

Liked: 34

Very, VERY cool Ethan! Wade Carter. Havent heard that name in a long time. If memory serves and its the same Wade Carter, he was a senior at my school in Redmond, WA when I was in 8th grade. His dad owned Carter Subaru in the U District (Seattle).

Liked: 29

Default Shippert

Congrats Ethan. Goggles P. would be very proud of you right now!

Liked: 232

Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    A quick backstory... This car was purchased by the Norman Racing Group at the end of the '77 season from Ecurie Canada. It was the car that Gilles Villeneuve won all but one of his '76 Atlantic races in. (The exception being a rain race at Westwood where he ran his backup car.)
    Well done Ethan - [Note: that second/back-up car is in the Gilles Villeneuve Museum in his home town and is owned by a writer for the local Watkins Glen area paper ........

Runoffs - Opening Line -- So ...Ethan is primed and ready for the Runoffs and will be piloting a ***** ***; also ready is Jeremy Grenier in his Citation and Tim Kautz in his highly massaged Piper; seems to me these guys are to be at the pointy end of the grid and current favorites -- Others ?

Liked: 246

Congrats dude. Primer for the runoffs. Todd

Thread Information