Liked: 11

Default Roll bar serial number

Close examination of the now sandblasted chassis of the Lola T540 has revealed a serial number stamped on the base of the roll bar on the right hand side.

The car previously raced in Colorado.

Could this be an SCCA approval number of sorts or is it an original Lola stamping?

Any info would be appreciated.

The number is AM9 31 80
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 1397

That number is the log book number issued by the region that the car first raced. Any records of those numbers will be very spotty. The number has nothing to do with the manufacturers.

The first set of digits shouldd identify the region that issued the number.

Liked: 77

That doesn't look like any SCCA log book number I've ever seen. They are always in the form of xx-xxxx where the first two (or three) digits are the region number and the number after the hyphen is the serially issued log book for that region.

I don't know what the AM is (perhaps the issuing organization), but the rest looks like a date.

Dave

Liked: 941

Default Arch Motors

I believe the AM prefix is for Arch Motors, the subcontract frame shop for many formula car builders from the early 60's on, including Lotus, Brabham, Lola, etc. They currently build the Caterham 7 chassis and bodywork.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 601

Default Roll Bar number

SCCA log book number were to be stamped in close proximity to the hole drilled in the roll hoop, to measure wall thickness. As stated, they would be XX-XXXX in format, first number being the SCCA region that issued the book.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 1

Default Check "Downunder"

Since T540, you're in Australia, I would suggest checking for a local sanctioning body "Downunder". The AM stamping for Arch Motors should normally be at the left rear of the top rail at the back of the frame/end cap.

Liked: 11

Default More numbers

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Awaiting a response from Arch Motors, but have since found another number stamped on the right hand top cockpit brace bracket, 8 654, which seems to correspond to the SCCA Logbook supplied with the car, 08-654-01.

Will contact the previous owner in Australia with regard to the other number.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Number

Its the Arch Motors number - last two digits were the year of manufacture. Middle 2 or 3 digits were the number of that type. I'm not sure how they coded the number after the AM but it seemed to relate to a design list that was keyed to the year of manufacture. One other point is that I think Lola and Van Diemen (both Arch customers) played games with chassis numbers to confuse the opposition as to cars delivered. VD would arbitrarily go 10 numbers ahead sometimes or work backwards - this I know to be true from my time as VD importer at Essex!
    Phil

Thread Information