Liked: 91

Default FF Tire Discussion: How Does It Affect F5?

There is a discussion occurring in the FF group about implementing a harder tire rule for FF is SCCA. Options mentioned have been R45s, R60s, and DOT tires. All of them would affect the cornering speeds for the class, to varying degrees. Since your class is typically on the track with us, you are stakeholders in it, too. How would you feel about it? Do you think it would help or hurt the run groups?

Liked: 5

I like the idea of a longer lasting tire but ONLY if it slows the FF's down just a tad - less than a second on most tracks. I am not familiar with the choice of tires that FF's have but we have just two compound choices - Hoosier R25 and R33. Any tire that slows the FF's down too much will be a problem when we run together. Is there a FF tire out there that can wear longer but not slow the car down too much? I don't know.

Jim
    Beem messing with these cars since 1982.

Liked: 9

Default tire compound

It's my understanding that some sanctioning bodies have kept older chassis competitive by mandating a spec tire that is a hard compound. If so, that would be two positives; longer tire life and potentially more participation by older chassis. I am no longer a driver but I would be ok with a comparable compound. My only concern is Hoosier being on board since they are our only choice right now.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 18

Jim
    I think you meant to say R35 instead of R33. At least that was what I raced on in 2012.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default From the FRCCA

American Racer Front 20.0” / 6.0” 13S 133 Compound
    American Racer Rear 22.5 / 7.5 13S 133 Compound.

These are the spec tires used by the FRCCA for their Spec formula classes.
    The tires have been available for many years. They seem to equalize outboard vs. inboard suspensions so "newer" cars don't have an instant advantage. The compound lasts most of the season (and they run 10-12 races per year).
    I believe American Racer is the brand name for the old McCreary Tire Co.

Perhaps AJ or Andy could chime in with added information.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 15

Yes the FRCCA has been running the AMERICAN RACER tires now for a number of years
    and have found them to be a very durable tire for club racing, typically lasting an entire
    season of 12 to 14 races while still retaining good grip throughout

At a cost of less than $600 a set it was a no brainer in our opinion and as the previous
    post says it brings older cars more in line with the newer cars creating an even playing field
    which means closer racing ( just the way we like it )

Thread Information