Liked: 6

Default **SOLD** Van Diemen RF98 F1600 for Nat'l or Pro Series

Surely now one of the fastest Van Diemens in the country, and capable of running with any other marque, we acquired this RF98 in '09 from Eric Langbein who had campaigned nationally. In '09 Forrest (then 16) won every regional race entered. (ok I guess he was second that time at NJMP when he spun 3 times) 2010 highlights included multiple national podiums, including a win at Pocono and P7 in a big field at June Sprints Road America. (top speeds in the low 130's) Totally re-engineered/rebuilt by Matthew DiRenzo over winter of 2010/11, with new suspension geometry, bodywork alterations, header redesign (see photo below), and every conceivable legal refinement. Killer extra special Kent by Sandy and Eric at Quicksilver. Objectively the fastest VD in the F1600 '11 series: one of 4 cars to break SCCA lap record at Watkins Glen, Qualified top 4-5 multiple times, Fastest Lap at Lime Rock, finished 8th in F1600 overall despite missing first stop at VIR and several DNFs during series.
    For full build sheet and discussion you will want to speak with Matthew directly, but among many other features:
    OZ wheels, 3-sets, brand new <2 races (Technos, older OZs and OEM speedlines avail)
    Michron data, (wrong, Pi data as noted by MD below) new 2011
    multiple noses and aero parts
    Many suspension spares
    transport wheels
    triple adjust Ohlins, revalved 2011
    All systems, eg fire suppression, radiators, fuel cell, plumbing, wiring new 2011
    Bare frame square check, brazing inspection, new AL floor 2011

In summary, hundreds of hours of cost no object tuning and refinement to build a car capable of running with the best Pipers/Swifts/etc with reliability and tunability. Benefit from race-hardened tuning and setup knowledge with a Kent package that just works.

The RF98 (see threads on forum) is the narrowest cockpit Ralph made, contributing to great straightline speed. Consistent 1.8-1.9G data proves Matthew's chassis engineering.

Forrest was 5'10/150 when he started, 6'2/175 at the end of last year's season, so the cockpit can work for a wide range if you are built right.

Extremely competitive with the Hondas esp the SCCA restrictor, and of course would clean up in regional competition. Highly reference-able by Mike Rand and the F1600 2011 community.
    Many videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLrn...8&feature=plcp

Heartbreaking to sell after all the blood sweat tears but unfortunately we got airborne at the Glen in the season finale, (see glen video) right in front of mom who was watching the bus stop from the stands. It was the same day as Dan Wheldon's accident, and Forrest's open wheel career ended on the spot. Turns out I'm forbidden as well.

$33K with adjustments in either direction depending on spares is, as usual with any top racer, about 1/3 of hard costs.

FEB 2013 PRICE DROP: SERIOUSLY, THIS IS TURNKEY FOR F1600 PRO SERIES OR SCCA! PLENTY OF TIME TO ACQUIRE NOW, AND RUN THIS SEASON! MAJOR PRICE ADJUSTMENT, NOW $29K
    Last edited by Brandon Hull; 01.24.17 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Price Drop

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

Brandon,
    Even an autoxer could see that the orange car driver was going to be trouble. Forrest did well with the evasive action and made a great recovery. Your wife is such a party pooper.
    And, nice car.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 1

This is a rock solid, very fast car. I built it up from the bare frame and literally everything -- down to the nuts and bolts -- is new or near new condition. I also rebuilt the gearbox at the beginning of the season; new R&P, new diff, everything. The data system is an extensively upgraded Pi Delta Lite w/Toolbox software, not AIM Mychron.

If anyone has inquiries re: this car, feel free to contact me for details @ matthew@direnzoracing.com or via the phone number listed on my website (www.direnzoracing.com).

Default Demo day test drive at NJMP

I'm planning to take the FF to NJMP Lightning course on October 8th (Columbus Day) It is an open lapping day for members so I'm driving just to shake out some cobwebs. If there is any serious interest, happy to host visitors and for any really serious interest, the prospect of taking the wheel.

Still available. Fending off lots of inquiries about parts which just makes me sad: there is a huge amount of great engineering that went into making this one of the fastest F1600s in the country. It would be a crime to part it out even if the economics made sense! See F1600 pro series results for lap times and other data; this is a seriously competitive car for a bargain price.

Bump: would make a sensational holiday present! Splurge now before the 2013 federal tax hikes kick in?

Default Price Drop, now $29K

bump for price drop!

Liked: 0

What is "race-hardened tuning"?

Quote Originally Posted by UberXY View Post
    What is "race-hardened tuning"?
    Damned good dramatic ad copywriting, that's what!

Seriously I suppose what I meant was that the car wasn't just set up in a theoretical or standardized way. It arrived at it's current state of tune through three seasons of carefully documented trial and error refinement supported by data and corroborated by results!

Default Car for Sale

Can this car be delivered to NH. When is it available?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hull View Post
    Surely now one of the fastest Van Diemens in the country, and capable of running with any other marque, we acquired this RF98 in '09 from Eric Langbein who had campaigned nationally. In '09 Forrest (then 16) won every regional race entered. (ok I guess he was second that time at NJMP when he spun 3 times) 2010 highlights included multiple national podiums, including a win at Pocono and P7 in a big field at June Sprints Road America. (top speeds in the low 130's) Totally re-engineered/rebuilt by Matthew DiRenzo over winter of 2010/11, with new suspension geometry, bodywork alterations, header redesign (see photo below), and every conceivable legal refinement. Killer extra special Kent by Sandy and Eric at Quicksilver. Objectively the fastest VD in the F1600 '11 series: one of 4 cars to break SCCA lap record at Watkins Glen, Qualified top 4-5 multiple times, Fastest Lap at Lime Rock, finished 8th in F1600 overall despite missing first stop at VIR and several DNFs during series.
    For full build sheet and discussion you will want to speak with Matthew directly, but among many other features:
    OZ wheels, 3-sets, brand new <2 races (Technos, older OZs and OEM speedlines avail)
    Michron data, (wrong, Pi data as noted by MD below) new 2011
    multiple noses and aero parts
    Many suspension spares
    transport wheels
    triple adjust Ohlins, revalved 2011
    All systems, eg fire suppression, radiators, fuel cell, plumbing, wiring new 2011
    Bare frame square check, brazing inspection, new AL floor 2011

In summary, hundreds of hours of cost no object tuning and refinement to build a car capable of running with the best Pipers/Swifts/etc with reliability and tunability. Benefit from race-hardened tuning and setup knowledge with a Kent package that just works.

The RF98 (see threads on forum) is the narrowest cockpit Ralph made, contributing to great straightline speed. Consistent 1.8-1.9G data proves Matthew's chassis engineering.

Forrest was 5'10/150 when he started, 6'2/175 at the end of last year's season, so the cockpit can work for a wide range if you are built right.

Extremely competitive with the Hondas esp the SCCA restrictor, and of course would clean up in regional competition. Highly reference-able by Mike Rand and the F1600 2011 community.
    Many videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLrn...8&feature=plcp

Heartbreaking to sell after all the blood sweat tears but unfortunately we got airborne at the Glen in the season finale, (see glen video) right in front of mom who was watching the bus stop from the stands. It was the same day as Dan Wheldon's accident, and Forrest's open wheel career ended on the spot. Turns out I'm forbidden as well.

$33K with adjustments in either direction depending on spares is, as usual with any top racer, about 1/3 of hard costs.

FEB 2013 PRICE DROP: SERIOUSLY, THIS IS TURNKEY FOR F1600 PRO SERIES OR SCCA! PLENTY OF TIME TO ACQUIRE NOW, AND RUN THIS SEASON! MAJOR PRICE ADJUSTMENT, NOW $29K

Quote Originally Posted by gczuba View Post
    Can this car be delivered to NH. When is it available?
    Dude, this car can be delivered to Manitoba! Available 18 mos ago! Right now it is just taking up space. Fortunately due to it's light weight, just taking up airspace...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 1100

No leaks!
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Still available?

Default STill Available

Well the phone hasn't been ringing off the hook for this wonderful car LOL but technically it's still available for someone who wants a great Kent VD. I bought a garage condo at NJMP and will be moving it down there in a month or so. It will be easy to do a test day once I get it there.
    Miss the FF community!!!
    B

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Default 2016 Season Bump

STill have this wonderful car dangling from the ceiling. So a bump for the 2016 season!

Link to '11 race enroute to setting fastest lap at LRP after qualifying P4 F1600 Championship field in an otherwise ill-fated race!
    https://youtu.be/7SLrnJwRuSU

Default Van Diemen RF98 F1600 for Nat'l or Pro Series

Bump for a great seller - I don't know a single thing about FFs (yet), but I've run nose to tail with Brandon in our 911s and would trust everything he says

Liked: 157

Not really sure why this car has not been bought by someone. It's a terrific car,, was prepped by Matt DiRenzo who knows how to engineer a car, and the car was always at the front in the Pro Series. And has been stated, Brandon and his son are great people so a buyer should have no concerns about the condition of this car.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0n View Post
    Bump for a great seller - I don't know a single thing about FFs (yet), but I've run nose to tail with Brandon in our 911s and would trust everything he says
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Not really sure why this car has not been bought by someone. It's a terrific car,, was prepped by Matt DiRenzo who knows how to engineer a car, and the car was always at the front in the Pro Series. And has been stated, Brandon and his son are great people so a buyer should have no concerns about the condition of this car.
    LOL thanks guys; the check is in the mail!!! To be honest, our selling efforts have been half-hearted at best since it is a memento to the fantastic three years we enjoyed together campaigning it. Forrest went off to Princeton and is graduating this year as a mechanical/aerospace engineer, which never would've happened if not for our time in karts and FF.
    I now have a shop at NJMP so have been fantasizing about using the VD for trackdays, but realistically as we all know, the expiration clock is always ticking on a racecar so a shame for someone not to be using it!
    Jason, nice to see you hanging out on Apex, you should go for it! BTW I have rebuilt the 911SC to run in 'E' for 2016!
    B

In response to questions I finally managed to take some photos, well the lazy way out, video. Still not the detailed photos everyone asks for since I haven't had time to let it down from the ceiling!

https://youtu.be/IC0xX2YRr9g

This is still for sale! Also I am about to post a spare Kent engine. One the negative side, it is a parts project; on the positive side there are many many spare components including a Swift Oil pan, fresh never used iron head by Quicksilver, still in the shipping packing from them. $2500 buys the whole batch, but I will include it with the VD98 for anyone who buys it this summer.
    Best,
    B

Oh the ignominy of it all! I just put the VD on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Diemen-R...m=162160764544

People have told me over and over that the parts are worth far more than the whole package and I get that intellectually. It's just that so much development went into it I really want to sell to someone who will continue development.

Default f 1600

hi
    is the Van diemen RF F1600 still available?

thx docrocks

Liked: 41

It should be noted this is a RF98K (as shown in the eBay listing), not a RF98. Nose and crushbox are stock RF98K parts, and are identical to the RF97 FF, RF97K FF, and RF97 FC.

Can you elaborate on the modified floor pan? Looks like it extends in front of the sidepods, which is something I've never seen before. It also looks like there's no kick plate installed behind the crushbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sold

Thanks for the referrals and support over time, it is sold to a great guy who will campaign it in regionals and local events, and maybe more eventually. Very happy to see it go to a committed racer. Extremely sad to see it go, it was a wonderful chapter in our motorsports lives! Thanks also to the FF Apex community, doubt we'll be back due to the maternal ban on open wheel, but it was great knowing you all!

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 74

Did the car stay on the East coast?

I hope to see it and drool in person lol

I cant tell you how many keyboards Ive ruined looking at this car

Hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by S. Frebert View Post
    Did the car stay on the East coast?
    Yes new owner is here in NJ and member of NJMP.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information