Liked: 1

For Sale 1983/84 Red Devil F440 Car For Sale

Red Devil chassis with Chaparral ‘440’ engine. Re-engineered front end by local vintage formula racer and collector in late 80’s

Log Books from brand new and re-certified after front crash in 85/86. Last raced in early 90’s.

Raced at local Northern California tracks.

Many, many spares. Carbs, pistons, cylinders, chains, fuel delivery, rubber pucks, clutches, etc.

Some spares brand new, some worn out.

2 sets of rims/tires.

Full body work, no molds.

Full gauges, including fuel pressure repurposed as water pressure.

Older, smaller dimension roll cage.

Complete, but in need of going through, would make great autocross project. May (with much petitioning) get into Vintage class racing?

$1100, pictures at www.pbase.com/egillis/f440_car

Car located in Modesto, I cannot deliver (no truck/hauler) Parts will go into some of the shown artillery boxes, some in other containers/boxes.

Email questions to mkiisupra at hotmail dot com.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

I've been looking at these on and off for a couple years but I still don't know very much about them. Would this make a good first car to learn with? Would it be possible/worth it to convert it to an F500 or even an F600 down the road?
    Last edited by eremoy; 03.20.14 at 1:15 PM.

Default Red Devil 440

Living on the east cost, I'd have to have someone transport the vehicle and parts for me. If I arrange for a shipper to get everything can you work with them to see everything is loaded?
    Can you give me an idea of the total size and weight of all the parts?
    I'm thinking of using the Red Devil as an autocross vehicle. The 440 looks like a lot of fun for either autocross or solo racing.
    Last edited by RFarver48; 03.23.14 at 2:37 PM. Reason: remove name

Quote Originally Posted by eremoy View Post
    I've been looking at these on and off for a couple years but I still don't know very much about them. Would this make a good first car to learn with? Would it be possible/worth it to convert it to an F500 or even an F600 down the road?
    I think that this car would make a great candidate to learn some of the basics, if not some 'older school' aspects of the F440/F500/F600 world. I personally dont think it would be worth converting it to newer specs (roll cage is too small in diameter, I believe) to make this car competitive nationally. Rather, this would be a great way to fiddle with CVT's/2 strokes in an autocross climate. I am no expert at all as a caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by RFarver48 View Post
    Living on the east cost, I'd have to have someone transport the vehicle and parts for me. If I arrange for a shipper to get everything can you work with them to see everything is loaded?
    Can you give me an idea of the total size and weight of all the parts?
    I'm thinking of using the Red Devil as an autocross vehicle. The 440 looks like a lot of fun for either autocross or solo racing.
    I have sold a few cars that need to be shipped out of CA, including my Turbo 240z just last month, and have had no issues with this. However, that was with street vehicles and while I am sure there's a way, you would have to determine the details for shipping. I believe that all said and done the car and parts would be around 1000 lbs roughly. I could make sure body and all parts are secure in containers, but I would need to work something out if new containers were required by shipping company.

Thanks for the questions!

Eric G

Default request for additional information

Tried to email but was said to be undeliverable.
    As stated before, I am interested in purchasing your Red Devil 440. I understand there is an SCCA Log Book with the vehicle and that it was last raced in early 1990’s.
    Are you aware of any mechanical issues on the vehicle that need to be addressed before driving it?
    Does the engine start? Has it been running recently? If not running, does the engine turn over, is it free internally?
    Do / Did the gauges work?
    While currently rusty, are the brakes in workable condition? I expect they will need a good inspection and preparation for use but are you aware of any problems with master cylinders, lines or calipers?
    Does the vehicle roll, can it be pushed around? (For loading/unloading)

For the transporter:
    I understand the total weight of vehicle and spare parts to be about 1,000 pounds. Is this correct?
    Roughly how wide, long and tall is the vehicle?
    How many boxes of what approximate size are there?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to complete the deal. Ron Farver, rfarver at borgwarner dot com

Quote Originally Posted by RFarver48 View Post
    Tried to email but was said to be undeliverable.
    As stated before, I am interested in purchasing your Red Devil 440. I understand there is an SCCA Log Book with the vehicle and that it was last raced in early 1990’s.
    Are you aware of any mechanical issues on the vehicle that need to be addressed before driving it?
    Does the engine start? Has it been running recently? If not running, does the engine turn over, is it free internally?
    Do / Did the gauges work?
    While currently rusty, are the brakes in workable condition? I expect they will need a good inspection and preparation for use but are you aware of any problems with master cylinders, lines or calipers?
    Does the vehicle roll, can it be pushed around? (For loading/unloading)

For the transporter:
    I understand the total weight of vehicle and spare parts to be about 1,000 pounds. Is this correct?
    Roughly how wide, long and tall is the vehicle?
    How many boxes of what approximate size are there?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to complete the deal. Ron Farver, rfarver at borgwarner dot com
    Ron-

The car hasn't run for many years. When I pulled the starter a year ago or so, it turned over and seemed to 'chug' indicating some amount of compression. I put a little bit of oil in each cylinder to keep them lubed. When I hooked up a battery to the car, the fuel pump 'ticked' but I never did get to clean out the fuel tank and radiator properly. The brake system still has fluid in it but I never tried out the brakes. It does roll, or did last time I had it off the platform rollers that its on in storage. It is about 5x10 feet without body work, about two feet longer with nose cone and pipes. It is only about 2.5 feet high. It has an extremely low ride height and takes a bit of finesse or specialized trailer ramps to load. No idea about gauges, but they were working when it was last raced as I was told from previous owner. I did install a new wheel bearing in one wheel, but that was it and I am not sure of any other immediate issues with the vehicle.

That being said...

This car will need a complete 'going-through' before it is competitively autocrossed. In addition, it would need a new main hoop to compete in current SCCA club racing due to the older diameter regulations.

There are about 8-10 boxes of spares, not including the extra set of wheels. The boxes are either 1x1x3 foot ammunition boxes, 2x2x1 foot cardboard boxes, or 2x2.5x2 foot Rubbermaid-style boxes. All sizes are close estimates. The entire collection probably weighs in at more than 1000# (I forgot some spares and the heavy wood ammo boxes), but not more than 1500#.

I apologize if I don't have all the specifics for delivery. There are a few pictures of the car in the storage unit with all the spares in the background that could give you a visual of what I am attempting to describe.

Thanks again for the interest.

Eric G

Liked: 14

Default RED DEVIL F440 Autox car

Hello Ron,

I tried to send you a private message but it says that you can't receive them. Please contact either at me_jeu@hotmail.com or call me directly at 610-509-7321

Thank you,

Jon Updegrove
    me_jeu@hotmail.com
    610-509-7321

What size tires do these run? Where do you get them? How much is a set? How long do they typically last?

Quote Originally Posted by eremoy View Post
    What size tires do these run? Where do you get them? How much is a set? How long do they typically last?
    I don't have any answers to these questions, as I have not ever had the car in a running state. I purchased it as a once running project and never got to it. I would imagine that you could google the F500 tire questions pretty easily and have a rough estimate.

Sorry for the lack of info about these questions, if I get a chance to google that info I will post it here for you.

Here ya go, a wee bit of Google-fu showed this: http://f500.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=949

Eric G

Default 1983/84 Red Devil F440

Is this car still for sale? Tried to send you an email but no reply???

Thanks

Brian

Default Still have it

Did you ever sell the car?

vintage.sprite@yahoo.com

Liked: 10

These cars use 18 x 7.5 x 10" R25B Hoosiers for autocross. You can get them from several sources. I buy mine from Tom at Mid Atlantic Motorsport. I just bought a new set for $765 delivered. I buy a new set once a year, but some guys use them longer than that.

*Just noticed the question was from 2014!*
    Last edited by tombu-mi; 08.27.16 at 7:57 PM. Reason: update

Thread Information