Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Reid Wins June Sprints!

Congratulations Reid! I know that is one you wanted to win.

Hazelton
    Kautz
    Hanratty.

Kent
    Honda
    Honda...sorry had to add that
    Steve Bamford

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

AWESOME !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 17

Way to go.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 757

Those poor Honda's. Give them a restrictor break

Liked: 501

Right on ! Great job Reid

Liked: 207

Default Car?

Which car was he driving? Was this the Carbir?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 1417

Boy, those Hondas are at such a massive disadvantage. Someone should do something about that to level the playing field.

Awesome job, Reid. Well done.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    Which car was he driving? Was this the Carbir?
    As far as I know it was his 92 Mono VD with Farley Kent but could be wrong. I am sure someone can chime in.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 1426

Thanks everyone. Yeah...I really wanted this one. I offered to trade Tim for the Runoffs win last year but he didn't bite. It was a really great race, and to have the win with a straight up fight against Tim makes it even more important. The race was pretty hairy. Tim and I both just about threw it a way a few times each. We both killed our tires and it came down to who's car was less-worse. With 3 to go he was having to really pitch it into the corners, completely change his driving style, and still keep a good pace. It came down to braking in T5 and I came out ahead, as his fronts were pretty done for. I was able to get into and off the important corners a little better and that was the difference.

Max Hanratty is a blast to race with. Clean, fast, fair. What more can you ask for? Turns out he lives a few houses down from my girlfriend's parents. Small world.

Jeffery "Grape Juice" Bartz has earned his Most Improved award. He was movin'.

I'll post more later....gotta watch the Spurs destroy the Heat.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 06.15.14 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Honda/Ford stuff needs no comment.

Oh, sorry. Yes it was with my 92 VD. Same as it left the Runoffs, even with the same dirt and ran the tires that were on it from the Runoffs race for practice. That...didn't work out so well.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 06.15.14 at 9:04 PM. Reason: I can't spell....still.

Liked: 757

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Those poor Honda's. Give them a restrictor break
    Just to clarify, I was joking!

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Just to clarify, I was joking!
    Oh I know. Nothing intended directly. I just get the Honda/Ford stuff a lot and it gets old. It is what it is, and we all need to sing Kumbaya together and move on.

Liked: 592

Default Reid Wins

Congratulations !
    Wasn't there to see it but my friend Bob was, some I'm sure he'll add more adjectives when we talk later.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 0

Reid - Wow. LeMans was on this weekend, but this was the one I was checking on. I wish I could have seen it (better yet, wish I could have joined y'all). To me, this is the big racing news of the summer. That '92 sure as hell has some kick as long as you're piloting it. Very big congratulations (the SCCA website has the results wrong, btw!). - Allen

Liked: 592

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    (the SCCA website has the results wrong, btw!). - Allen
    I can't believe it.
    They just can't seem to get the web stuff right and in a timely manner.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 8

The results I saw and still see show Reid winning on sunday. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    The results I saw and still see show Reid winning on sunday. Am I missing something?
    Here Reid is described as winner in text but Tim listed in results: http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51921

Liked: 8

I see,here is what I was looking at http://www.scca.com/assets/results/1...unRace-GP4.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    I see,here is what I was looking at http://www.scca.com/assets/results/1...unRace-GP4.pdf
    Yup, that one is right - that's the one I checked to be sure which way it came out!

Liked: 61

Default Reid's well earned Win

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Congratulations !
    Wasn't there to see it but my friend Bob was, some I'm sure he'll add more adjectives when we talk later.
    Okay, I'll bite, Keith.

When I decided to return to 'trying to race' again summer of 2012, the first person I called was Keith Averill. He carried my dumb ass back from 88-92. He was the help I needed when I started like you all know new folks need.

After we found a car and I started sending Keith money again....he was the first person to say to me, "Hey, there's this 'kid' out of Wisconsin who also has a mono-shocker. Get to know him. He's talented, one of the nicest young guys I've ever met, humble beyond reason, he races on a shoestring budget and....he's got a deep pool of talent."

Pretty strong words from Kieth, tough old bird that he is.

Last year at the Runoffs (my first.../cheater exemption year...) I am so lost with the three-shocker I can't find my ass in the dark. So I make the long walk up the hill and beg this guy I don't know to please save my sorry ass. He puts his tools down and comes to my paddock, gives us some direction and all of the sudden my world begins to change back to 'normal'.

This February, after a winter rebuild, Reid did the initial setup on the car for us. Reid does two short sessions and hands me the car. My second lap after a winter off and I'm smiling like you can't believe. Third lap I'm under my personal best from the previous year's testing and races. (It must be said that the Front Range Boys did an immaculate and I mean Penske-like winter rebuild.)

Recently, it's been my great pleasure observing RH at a Major, a Pro Series event and this past weekend his personal 'Indy 500'; the June Sprints. Reid is a rare talent that frankly reminds me of one M Donohue. MD has the rare combination that comes along every so often of innate seat of the pants feel, an engineering understanding and an appreciation of the interacting systems and, balls made of brass. Throw in the humility and you get RH.

For all of the hard core club racers out there that always wonder if you can compete on talent and desire alone? RH is the living example of hard work creating your own 'luck'.

RH probably won't talk to me for the above post for a few days. He's deeply private and I respect that. However, his racing deserves all the attention it can get as we should all celebrate the very best among us and RH is certainly that.

Kautz is an amazingly talented shoe in a car prepped to F1 standards. What a piece. To best Kautz at RA is quite an accomplishment. Hat's off to Tim for one hell of a race. That is about as good a 52 mile race -- every turn of every lap -- as you will ever see. Running that close takes trust and talent.

Expertly prepped HONDA versus last year's Kent? RH figured out how to get 'up the hill' this time. A 22 year old VD mono shocker chassis maybe even more of a hurdle?

So Keith and the folks that RH mentions that have helped him progress through the years, you too stood with Reid on Sunday. He's the first to recognize your support.

Reid, I hope that didn't hurt too much! Keith made me do it. You can reach him at 248.585.9139

Bob Melvin

I don't know you, Bob, but I know Tim and Reid very well. One helluva post. So true. Thank you - my journey being opposite of yours, out of club racing now for almost 2 years - for bringing back great times and putting a smile on my face by writing such true words. Watching Reid pass you and dust you off - tossing confetti as he sails by - is something everyone should get to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmelvin View Post
    Okay, I'll bite, Keith.

When I decided to return to 'trying to race' again summer of 2012, the first person I called was Keith Averill. He carried my dumb ass back from 88-92. He was the help I needed when I started like you all know new folks need.

After we found a car and I started sending Keith money again....he was the first person to say to me, "Hey, there's this 'kid' out of Wisconsin who also has a mono-shocker. Get to know him. He's talented, one of the nicest young guys I've ever met, humble beyond reason, he races on a shoestring budget and....he's got a deep pool of talent."

Pretty strong words from Kieth, tough old bird that he is.

Last year at the Runoffs (my first.../cheater exemption year...) I am so lost with the three-shocker I can't find my ass in the dark. So I make the long walk up the hill and beg this guy I don't know to please save my sorry ass. He puts his tools down and comes to my paddock, gives us some direction and all of the sudden my world begins to change back to 'normal'.

This February, after a winter rebuild, Reid did the initial setup on the car for us. Reid does two short sessions and hands me the car. My second lap after a winter off and I'm smiling like you can't believe. Third lap I'm under my personal best from the previous year's testing and races. (It must be said that the Front Range Boys did an immaculate and I mean Penske-like winter rebuild.)

Recently, it's been my great pleasure observing RH at a Major, a Pro Series event and this past weekend his personal 'Indy 500'; the June Sprints. Reid is a rare talent that frankly reminds me of one M Donohue. MD has the rare combination that comes along every so often of innate seat of the pants feel, an engineering understanding and an appreciation of the interacting systems and, balls made of brass. Throw in the humility and you get RH.

For all of the hard core club racers out there that always wonder if you can compete on talent and desire alone? RH is the living example of hard work creating your own 'luck'.

RH probably won't talk to me for the above post for a few days. He's deeply private and I respect that. However, his racing deserves all the attention it can get as we should all celebrate the very best among us and RH is certainly that.

Kautz is an amazingly talented shoe in a car prepped to F1 standards. What a piece. To best Kautz at RA is quite an accomplishment. Hat's off to Tim for one hell of a race. That is about as good a 52 mile race -- every turn of every lap -- as you will ever see. Running that close takes trust and talent.

Expertly prepped HONDA versus last year's Kent? RH figured out how to get 'up the hill' this time. A 22 year old VD mono shocker chassis maybe even more of a hurdle?

So Keith and the folks that RH mentions that have helped him progress through the years, you too stood with Reid on Sunday. He's the first to recognize your support.

Reid, I hope that didn't hurt too much! Keith made me do it. You can reach him at 248.585.9139

Bob Melvin

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Boy, those Hondas are at such a massive disadvantage. Someone should do something about that to level the playing field.
    I imagine Reid wouldn't mind being given one.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 31

Video, please.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 74

Default Laguna

So who will be at the runoffs ?
    Hybels

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I imagine Reid wouldn't mind being given one.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    So who will be at the runoffs ?
    Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmelvin View Post

That is about the only part of that whole thing I fully agree with!

Really, the shoestring only worked with a whole lot of people helping me out. On podiums I always bring a list as I know I will forget someone and it's important that I mention the folks that get me there.

Like Bob said, Keith Averill is the man. I buy what I can, when I can from Keith but I don't think he has figured out that as customer I put him in the red. He is always willing to spend hours (and I mean HOURS) on the phone helping me work out issues and never asks for anything in return - never. You don't get that kind of support in this day and age. I can't recommend Keith enough, really....send this guy your business. He is a "little guy" and deserves every penny. Do you see SafeRacer on here with advice and help?

Hoosier Tire. Bruce Foss, Tim Gilvin, Terry Gilvin (moved on to different pastures in the tire world now), Paula Disbrow-Nate, and the whole Hoosier company. Without their support of road racing in general, we'd have a drastically different environment in which to race. They have always been there to help with advice and the engineers are always willing to offer advice and open the palybook.

Williams Racing Development. Aside from being some of the coolest guys there are, they are racers through and through. I met Paul at the Runoffs last year, and the lengths he went to help me out, not to mention he just met me 2 hours prior, were incredible. I think the guy must be a little sick in the head to work that hard for some bonehead like me. Literally, 1am he was still going strong wrenching on my car. 50*, dark, windy, and he made it a really fun time. Oh, he was back up and at it again by 7am the next day. Lee, Paul, Brenda, Heather....you're the best. Thank you for all you do.

Curtis Farley. This guy has been really good to me and given me some great equipment over the years. Not once, never, not a miss, not a tick. Nothing engine related in 7 years I have owned the car.

Bruce Lindstrand/LMI Most know that this was his car that I bought in '07. It was a learning curve, and he helped shorten it substantially. It is great to have guys like him in the paddock to bounce questions off of. Not to mention they throw some of the best eats together that there is.

The FF Class. Some of the best guys I have met, drive FFs. Don't know why, but there just aren't any a-holes or problem guys in the group. Tim, Scotty, Marc, Jeffery, John and John, Allan (get back in the game already!), Dave, and all the rest of the group are just stand up folks.

SBS. My battery died a day before we were loading up and Scotty rushed one down for Thursday, despite having some wicked stomach flu. Quite a guy he is.

Motorsports Composites. If you need 'glass or carbon work, look them up. They are good. Really good. They helped me with several projects and I believe even did Tim's engine cover, but I could be wrong.

Colorado Pen.com They have been a big help, and made it possible for me to dip my toe in the deep end. The support this site we all use, and are a huge support to the Colorado Region. If nothing else, just visit their site and see what they have to offer. They have some really unique gift ideas too.

Bell Helmets. They have been really good to me over the years. I love the product and they even came on board to sponsor the Sprints. No small token gesture either, as Kyle Kietzmann (President and COO of BellRacing) was there to hand out the awards. We need to really thank those who step up and help with Sponsorship and show them it is worth it. Really. Must. Do. Now.

Racequip. I know it's conflicting to have two safety equipment companies, but Racequip has been a large help as well. Consider their products next time you need some gloves, belts (very nice!), second suit, ect. Good stuff when you take the time to look at it.

Then there is the supporting cast, which makes the good times that much more enjoyable due to getting to share it. My Dad, my Brother, Ken, Izzy, Bob and Billi Melvin (I should leave Bob off after that rant ), my girlfriend Roxana, her family, and really an endless list of folks.

Also, thanks to Tim for a hell of a race. Like I said at the Runoffs, run that back 10 times and I bet it would be 5-5. Same thing with the Sprints, it was a 50/50 shot and whoever won out in T5 would win it and I think we both knew that. I just happened to come out on top this time.

And, mostly, to the workers. I always say that it takes a special kind of crazy to donate your weekends to go stand on a corner, in the sun, heat, rain, wind, snow, hail, etc just so we can do what we do. SCCA corner workers are some of the best in the game, and they do it very well. Hats off to those in white, and all the T&S, Safety, Tech, and anyone else I am forgetting.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 06.19.14 at 12:21 AM. Reason: I forgot people, and still can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    - tossing confetti as he sails by -
    Secret is that the "confetti" is really a mix of thumb tacks and ball bearings.

Liked: 667

Congradu;ations! A well deserved win.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Secret is that the "confetti" is really a mix of thumb tacks and ball bearings.
    Whatever competitive edge works for ya!

Seriously though, Great job, Congrats. Condolences to Tim, but my guess, he's ready to do it again. I'm just sorry I didn't get to watch it.

Nice thank you to all the supporters, and of course, the Workers (as you always do). As I always tell them, "without them, we can't play with our toys". And they always reply, without you guys, we don't get all the entertainment.
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 124

I missed the race on Sunday sadly due to prior commitments, but my Dad was there and called me every five minutes during the race, stating Reid was going to win it, culminating in a call that sounded as if David not only beat Goliath, but roasted it and shared it for dinner with Sheboygan County as a whole.

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

At my first FF National with our Eagle in 2010, Reid came up, introduced himself, and said he had been watching me in practice and that I looked quick, but I must be down quite a bit in the engine department, and that I was on the wrong compound tires. Two laps into the race, I burned off the fronts and struggled home with terminal understeer, all the while losing 20 car lengths to everyone around me on the medium straights that fill up BHF.

We've since followed his advice, and soon enough we'll finally have a chance to show it.

In my eighteen years in racing, I've only had two people come up and offer up advice. One was Reid. The other was at a karting event when Juan Montoya came up, said I was fast, and that I should loose 40 lbs.

I listened to one of the two.

Well done lad!

-Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

"In my eighteen years in racing, I've only had two people come up and offer up advice. One was Reid. The other was at a karting event when Juan Montoya came up, said I was fast, and that I should loose 40 lbs.

I listened to one of the two.

Well done lad!

-Jacques[/QUOTE]

Juan could lose 40 lbs right about now, lol. karma and age............

Congrats again Reid, video?
    Last edited by marshall9; 06.19.14 at 9:03 AM. Reason: quotes

I don't normally post video, and people don't usually ask. How about a little gentleman's agreement? If you view the link below, then the next time you need something, just consider buying from them or at least visit their websites. Deal? Deal. Here are some links to make it easier:

http://www.racing-stuff.com/ (Sells just about everything Pegasus does, same price. Also is a full service shop.)

http://www.willrace.com/

http://www.racequip.com/

https://www.bellracing.com/ Bell Helmets are available through Averill.

http://www.coloradopen.com/

I was going to edit together the parts where Tim and I were passing or bump drafting and assumed it would be a short, minute or two video. Turns out it was 12 minutes. The track was really bad, so it makes for some exciting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyD4AvGfGT4

Inspiring video !

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I don't normally post video, and people don't usually ask. How about a little gentleman's agreement? If you view the link below, then the next time you need something, just consider buying from them or at least visit their websites. Deal? Deal. Here are some links to make it easier:

http://www.racing-stuff.com/ (Sells just about everything Pegasus does, same price. Also is a full service shop.)

http://www.willrace.com/

http://www.racequip.com/

https://www.bellracing.com/ Bell Helmets are available through Averill.

http://www.coloradopen.com/

I was going to edit together the parts where Tim and I were passing or bump drafting and assumed it would be a short, minute or two video. Turns out it was 12 minutes. The track was really bad, so it makes for some exciting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyD4AvGfGT4
    You got it. I already buy everything that I use from Keith that he offers. I will consider a sales contest of some sort with a nice pen as a prize for my guys.......

Keith has been an invaluable asset to me & the Reynard. Replacing much of the original equipment with Keith. If he sells it, I really can't shop anywhere else !

Liked: 667

Reid,
    Thanks for posting [and I'll take your deal] Two class-acts, one great race. You and Tim really show how club racing [any racing] should be done. Clean, tight, heads-up. I can only aspire to emulate! Congradulations!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information