Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Runoffs

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Brrr

I live about 75 minutes southwest of Road America, about to head into work this morning. Thermometer says its a balmy 44F (7C). Be sure to bring your Nomex/Wool blend drivers suit.

Liked: 3772

Default Colorado Pen

Have you wondered why Colorado Pen has banner ads all over Apexspeed? Me too.

Turns out Colorado Pen is owned by Bob Melvin. Bob is entered in his first Runons this year. Driving a FF under the Front Range Motorsports tent. Bob competed in FF back in the late 80's early 90s in Cen-Div. Gibby worked with him and his wife, and of course Keith Averill was his coach. Never qualified for the Runoffs in those 30 car fields. Moved to Colorado, quit racing, raised a family, built a business... you know the routine.

Then last year he was introduced to High Plains Raceway. He and his bride later went back to a SCCA event, where, get this, his wife said they really needed to get back into racing. (keeper) He presented JD with the plan, and now they are part of the Front Range group taking over a house a block from Siebkins.

Bob is seriously addicted, and really enjoying the second time around. So much that he is running for Director out there in the Rockies.

Every entry has a story...or four.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Cool, I'm a...

I checked Google Images and this one came up. It's pretty appropriate too w/ the long ago leg injuries...
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 08.26.14 at 11:38 PM.

Liked: 4

Interesting day... Cool ambient, never got much track temp with mostly sunny skies and a tail wind down the front straight.

Atlantic times on my stopwatch never went faster than 2.02's

Saw several laps by Brandon in his beautiful FB in the high 2.06's (wow!)

No FC's tested....

FM, I dunno

No FE's tested

FF Cooper and Bartz were in the 22's, Kephart was the only other car

No F500's tested

FV, I never caught a time.

Track was off about a second in my opinion. Tomorrow's ambient is supposed to be warmer, I'd expect the track to be a bit faster. No major off's that I heard of by anyone.

Liked: 151

Default 2013 Runoffs

Nice weather today. The track time was quality with not too many cars out there.

Liked: 4

...and the biggest news of the runoffs is that Gibby has come out of retirement.

Gib is turning the wrenches and knobs on the Vestal's this week. Good seeing Gib at a race track again!

Some of us are here. Some of you aren't.
    We rolled in this afternoon. About 18 hours from North Florida. Damn the weather here is soooo much nicer than Florida. Got out of the trusty zetec wagon and put on a smile and a jacket. it was about 65 degree in the brigh sun.

Illinios is one long state! If you come in at Paducah KY and drive out above Rockford, it seems like forever, even at 85mph. And, don't call Florida flat, up on overpasses around Champaign I swear you can see the horizon so expansive you can detect the curvature of Mother Earth. The I-24, I-57,I-74, and I-39 combination is super smooth, no concrete expansion strips. I'm used to rolling north on the likes of I-81, or I-95. These roads had almost zero trucks. And, i saw only one law officier from Paducah to Milwaukee. Georgia puts more officers than that on each overpass on I-75.
    Sort of a nice way to bypass the whole Chicago scene.

Spent dusk watching the formula cars do their last practice session and trying to learn where everybody is parked. OBTW, Brandon Dixon at T5 is impressive. I didn't put a watch on him, but those that did said he hasn't lost any speed taking the year off.

Gibby has two FF to work on. He was looking plenty happy. We invited ourselves to a nice little sunset party at Eric and Jill Cruz and the Osingas. Then we wandered on down to Siebkins. Dinner at the Brown Baer. Standing room only, but a surprising great salad, this being Wisconsin.

By sunset saturday, I'd say the paddock is about 3/4 full already.

Chance of rain during the night. Rand and DaveW aren't going out tomorrow, so I'm contemplating a trip up to that little football stadium in Green Bay for a noon kickoff. Don't think I'll be wearing the usual purple garb...

It rained from 4am to about 4pm today. Dried rapidly enough for the formula car groups to each get one session. The sessions got shortened by black flags. But, two laps was about all that was needed for Brandon Dixon to have a rear suspension rod end fail appoaching the kink. He saved it with little damage.

The weather the next two days looks to be nice, but seriously cool in the early sessions. Tuesday is shaping up to be an important qualifier if Wednesday-Thursday has a chance of showers.

Word is the FV folks are all running short boxes. The reason is with the long box one would be a sitting duck on the drag race up the hill running to the cherkered flag. The downside is that the front of the pack are buzzzing those little engines to unbelievable revs multiple times per lap. I heard figures north of 7,000. As a result we are seeing a few engines already letting go in a big way.

A neat public interest story. Jim Downing (Mr Hans Device) is racing his CSR here. The Runoffs are not a new deal for him. He was the poll sitter in the FV race at the first Runoffs at Riverside California.

Laguna Seca next year has generated a lot of buzz. Many are starting to figure out ways to get there. The logistics are difficult for a lot of working folks, but creative solutions are being developed.

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    As a result we are seeing a few engines already letting go in a big way.
    Ah well, at least they're cheap!

I think there were always guys running short boxes, but it seems it's a bit more generalized this time, eh? Can't wait for the race!

Liked: 174

I think my son said that Mike V ran a 2:40.7 with the next fastest car 1.5 seconds slower!

Mark

Seems about right according to Race Monitor!

FB going on right now, times seem pretty close for the top few dudes! Much closer than I remember it being in years past Should be a fantastic race if it keeps this way!

Liked: 14

fastest 2 FB are 4 seconds clear of P3 and are just flat out flying. But to be fair today is just practice so you don't know what program everyone is running. Back when Monday was always a practice day I always ran it as a full out qualifying sim so I knew where I stood ( could care less about anyone else) but since it didnt count to the grid most people didnt so who knows. All I know is 5's in a FB is pretty damn quick and they are getting close to 4's
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

It rained from 4am to about 4pm today. Dried rapidly enough for the formula car groups to each get one session. The sessions got shortened by black flags. But, two laps was about all that was needed for Brandon Dixon to have a rear suspension rod end fail appoaching the kink. He saved it with little damage.

The weather the next two days looks to be nice, but seriously cool in the early sessions. Tuesday is shaping up to be an important qualifier if Wednesday-Thursday has a chance of showers.

Word is the FV folks are all running short boxes. The reason is with the long box one would be a sitting duck on the drag race up the hill running to the cherkered flag. The downside is that the front of the pack are buzzzing those little engines to unbelievable revs multiple times per lap. I heard figures north of 7,000. As a result we are seeing a few engines already letting go in a big way.

A neat public interest story. Jim Downing (Mr Hans Device) is racing his CSR here. The Runoffs are not a new deal for him. He was the poll sitter in the FV race at the first Runoffs at Riverside California.

Laguna Seca next year has generated a lot of buzz. Many are starting to figure out ways to get there. The logistics are difficult for a lot of working folks, but creative solutions are being developed.

Mr. Downing ran at Barber over labor day weekend making all the rest of us in the group look bad, I'm sure he was just testing & taking it easy on us by the amount of patience he was showing when passing.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 6

Default I'll take either MN boy against the field.....

Szykulski is a lock, MIller if SZY gets in trouble. Takers?

Who is going to win?

I read Sportscar to get the inside scoop.
    So out on a limb i go...

FC David Grant
    This run group is purely pitiful. Let's blame Rand. If SCCA would let the top 5 F2000 cars enter, it would be a kick-ass party. We could all watch Tim wipe the field.
    Hell, if Gaffney would have shown up with a Reynard I would pick him. I picked David Grant because he has been racing with us all season, he has red hair, and his kids let me write crazy things in their paddock with their color chalk. Let's face it, Szykulski with Arms-Up help should just walk away with this show. Plus, they play more on bias tires, its their playground. I wanted so bad to pick Chris Miller. Chris is a past F2000 champ. If John Church is turning the wrenches Chris could be a BIG factor.
    My darkhorse has to be John Brumber. He is going to have fun, what's not to love about that?

OK... flame away. At least I have balls enough to post this.
    Ron

Holy sH$t!!!! Coop! Keep your head down!

Sportsfans, that was one bad ass crash. Rand and I were watching at T5. Coop came full tilt into T5 only to experience a complete brake failure. maybe a rotor explosion on the RF... He glanced off the left wall well over 100 bucks, skipped across the track and backed into the concrete at hugh speed. Ugly city.
    Coop popped out of the car, and we all started breathing again.
    The car is a mess.
    Talked to Coop at the big party tonight. He is making no plans. Ana is by his side, and that is what matters. Tomorrow they can figure out where they are.
    We were damn sure glad to see Coop pop out of that car.

Siebkins tonight started cranking up. It's been a bit slow the last few nights, but tonight it was starting to look like the Runoffs.

I think i figured out how to pay for racing in 2014. I'll write a book titled "Bruce Foss, the Early Years". And.... I'll retain the movie rights...

The weather is here... i wish you were beautiful. You couldn't ask for a nicer scene than Elkhart Lake today. it was story-book beautiful.

The welcoming party at the Osthoff Resort was standing room only this evening. It was packed. But you know, i had this thought looking at the literally hundreds of folks packing the two halls. Of all those folks there, quietly, in corners there were about maybe a few dozen folks that are actually putting on the whole show. Everyone else is just a spectator. The quiet ones are busting their butts trying to win a chanpionship. They are not drinking, just hurrying through the meal and vanishing back into the night to rest or go back to work on their cars. I salute them.

I need to post a shout-out to Tim and Scott, crew on the #2 Orange 260Z. Not anyone would pick up a hitchhiker dressed in all black walking along "J" at midnight and drop him off back at the track. You guys must have been crazy. Anyway, i got back to this PC at least 30 minutes sooner than if i had completed the hike from Siebkins.

Kautz was looking pretty championship-like today. But, he says he still needs to get his kink up.

The FB session was pretty outrageous. (except for about 4 seconds while Coop was destroying a RFR). Loshak goes out and rapidily throws down a wonderous time. OMG It was beautiful to watch. Meanwhile Dixon is scrubbing race tires and only turing 2:06s. Then right at the end Dixon goes out and throws down a statement.
    Do the double take while you watch Race monitor display the time. Wow!

Paul Schnieder really needs to paint his car. He claims the orange and blue is to represent Virginia, not those gastly Gaytors from Gainesville Florida. Ok, I'll buy that. But, paint it anyway.

Nick Fuhs can weld like no one else I have ever watched. He has been busy all day. Mostly exhaust headers. But Suzuki blocks and titanium pieces also got his magic help today.

The field for the FV/F500 session was a sight to behold. There was a whole flock of those buggers out there.

Ran into Richard Franklin (Area 81) after the session. He had a grin on his face 4.048 miles wide. He had never been on RA before today. He went out and had a great time. He loves the place. One happy camper. Expect him to pick up speed every session this week.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.17.13 at 2:28 AM.

A few pictures...
    A picture of about 2/3s of all the cars on grid when the Vees show up.

Gib loves to have his picture taken.

Rand practiced a bunch faster than the FF track record in 1975.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.15.14 at 4:20 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default F500/FV 1st Qualifying Session

Ok, what just happened in the 1st F500/FV qualifying session?? I heard there was a big crash in T5 but wasn't sure if that was F500s or FVs since they spit them. I know the FVs got an extra 10 minutes but they still got hosed.

Ray

Liked: 551

I'm looking forward to reading DaveW's comments about the FV. I'm guessing he hasn't driven one in a long time, right?

So... the plan was to run the f5S for 22 minutes, then send the Fvs out for 22 minutes. Everything was going as planned. The Fvs left the grid... like a swarm.
    The "black all" was displayed about the time the first FVs were crossing S/F. Hurry up and wait.
    Maybe 3 hot laps after an hour of being strapped in.

But.... if you are any kind of road race addict... the FA/FB qualifier was a pure blast to watch. Real race cars, sounding like real race cars, just tearing the place up.

It lloks like weather is going to be a major factor the next few days. Grids could end up being meaningless.

Nota lot of time to photograph today, i was a wee bit busy turning wrenches.

About 8 this morning i stopped by to see my buddy Jay. He said there was no way a fat frog would fit in his F600....

Catch a view of what something like 49 FVees look like waiting to get on track.

The F500s had no part in the first lap mess.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.15.14 at 4:19 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Nota lot of time to photograph today, i was a wee bit busy turning wrenches.

About 8 this morning i stopped by to see my buddy Jay. He said there was no way a fat frog would fit in his F600....

Catch a view of what something like 49 FVees look like waiting to get on track.

The F500s had no part in the first lap mess.
    Thanks Frog, sounds like the FVs ruined their own session. That F600 looks a lot like a Formula First with A-Arms instead of an axle beam!

Ray

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: 2013 Runoffs

The Frog's 'as-snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug' in the F600 That grin says it all
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1839

It lloks like weather is going to be a major factor the next few days. Grids could end up being meaningless.
    As Rand salivates down the front of his drivers suit.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Rand was somewhat surprised by how early a certain FC broke into T5. Since Tracy was sitting in the stands there, he just did a 360 and continued.
    That sort of set up a small fire in a battery cable under his legs a few laps later. He has been under water in a FF at WPB, but never had a fire before. He drove it back to the trailer, no biggy.

Pouring rain currently, 8 am Wednesday. Could stay like this the next two days. Frogs and Rand don't mind rain.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: 2013 Runoffs

Some guys love the rain... Senna...
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 1100

Frogs and Rand don't mind rain.
    Good for fire suppression.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 698

Rand was somewhat surprised by how early a certain FC broke into T5.

Was it yellow? It will be interesting to see if the 115% rule gets used.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Midgely and Rand outqualify Kautz!

With an average age of 68 years, Ed Midgely and Mike Rand went out and set the pace today At Road America for the 50th Runoffs. A beautiful wet day, with rapid drying. Both were on slicks.

Ed was making sure everything was ok with his Piper after yesterday's little kiss with the wall. Rand knowing everything was not ok in his camp went out just to escape the long line of autograph hounds that have been surrounding his paddock. He could not resist the fact it was wet. Needed to get the wet setup dialed in for Saturday.

Many of you following the results in many classes may be seeing some interesting names pop up. Classes with less than 10 can not crown a Champion. Two in danger of falling into that situation are FC and DSR. It takes at least 10 different 'drivers' to turn a wheel in qual or race to be a championship class. Thus, you saw Dixon in a DSR this morning, and Kasmets in a FC this afternoon. They can use there "past champion" exemption from qualifying through the year to get in the seat. Don't expect to see these 'fillers' start the races.

Liked: 120

Which cars are kasemets and Dixon driving? How are they doing?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Many of you following the results in many classes may be seeing some interesting names pop up. Classes with less than 10 can not crown a Champion. Two in danger of falling into that situation are FC and DSR. It takes at least 10 different 'drivers' to turn a wheel in qual or race to be a championship class. Thus, you saw Dixon in a DSR this morning, and Kasmets in a FC this afternoon. They can use there "past champion" exemption from qualifying through the year to get in the seat. Don't expect to see these 'fillers' start the races.

FC already had 10 qualified cars in Q1 before Kasemets posted a time, so why bother to qualify unless he plans to race? I can't find the rule, but I thought it was 10 race starters.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Default 2013 Runoffs

Dixon was driving a Stohr DSR that belongs to Young Racing this morning. He was out on slicks on the rain, so his lap times were a little off.

Default 2013 Runoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    FC already had 10 qualified cars in Q1 before Kasemets posted a time, so why bother to qualify unless he plans to race? I can't find the rule, but I thought it was 10 race starters.
    I'm pretty sure it is 10 cars turning a lap in an officially times session.

Liked: 27

Right now there are 11 FCs entered for the NARRC Finale at Lime Rock. Just a few more and we could call it a F2KCS race

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4303

I wish I could follow results. The SCCA website sucks. Result page keeps coming up errors or times out. 500- Internal Server Error. I expect my SportsCar magazine will arrive with results before the website gets straightened out.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Yup.. SCCA's website gets their data from Race-monitor.com which seems to be failing hard. The timing is working on their app ($4.99 on the app store or whatever it is) but still not without it's problems. The mixed classes seem to be causing it a bit of grief, with F500s showing up in FV results and vice versa.

Liked: 14

haven't had a seconds trouble. Only time mixed groups show up together is in the time cards which I only look at for the speed traps.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 30

Default Try this

Yup, I've been trying to connect there since Monday with no luck, either at home (Canadian ISP) or at work (VPN to an office in San Francisco). Good to hear it's working for you guys, though, narrows the problem down for me.

Liked: 302

I am able to open the results but not in pdf. Time card only in pdf. However, if I try to open the pdf, gets an error message, copy the http address, then open adobe, then do open file in adobe and paste the http address there, it opens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information