Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 430

Default Early 70's So Cal Lotus Dealer

Hi all, going way out on a limb here. Does anybody remember who the Lotus dealer/importer was in Southern California back in the early seventies? I believe he was located somewhere in Orange County and is he still around as in kicking ? As always, thanks for any help you may be able to give.
    Cheers, Graham.

Liked: 283

Was that Dave Bean Engineering? It's sounds like they sold both Lotus parts and cars's in the 70's.

They've moved to San Adreas from Santa Barbara, but their website has this history page:

http://www.davebean.com/company.htm
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 934

Default Jay Chamberlain

Dave Bean's distributorship/dealership came along much later, around 1979-81 when the Rolls Royce US distributorship went south almost as soon as the ink dried on the contract.

I believe the earliest importer was Jay Chamberlain in the 1950's. Unfortunately, there were "issues" in the earliest days... More cars on the docks than Jay had buyers for. Jay's dealership was in North Hollywood, CA.

http://lotuseliteworldregister.com/m...on-fork-trucks

Bob Challman incorporated Ecurie Shirlee (after his wife) in 1960. I believe he stepped in and bought up the cars on the dock, saving Chapman's hide.
    His dealership was in Manhattan Beach, CA. I think the dba was Manhattan Motors and later Manhattan Beach Imported Cars. He was there until the early 1980's and retired to Laguna Beach.

http://www.bizapedia.com/ca/ECURIE-S...RPORATION.html

http://lotuseliteworldregister.com/l...elite-brochure

Challman's distributorship was called "Western Distributors" I believe.

Some other stories about Challman:
    http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotu...rs-t27163.html

Unfortunately Jay Chamberlain passed away in 2001.
    I believe Bob Challman passed in 1997.

Dennis Ortenberger and Mike Ostrov are probably the best resources on those early days.

Sorry, more than you probably wanted to know...

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by DanW; 09.08.13 at 8:18 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 25

Default Ortenberger Book

As Dan says, Ortenberger knows the history. It is presented in his wonderful book on the Elite. The Challman Elite ads in R&T were classics. Attached is one presented in Brooklands Books Lotus Elite 1957-1964.
    - Frank C
    Last edited by Frank C; 09.08.13 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Add Ad

Yea I think Dave Bean might have been a little too late, but thanks for the response. Dennis Firestone told me he got my car off of a Lotus gut in Orange County in either late 70 or 71 but can't remember his name at the moment so I am just poking around to see if somebody may have remembered a Lotus importer/dealer who sold the Lotus 61 back then. I am pretty sure there can't have been that many of them in the area. Thanks for the help.
    Cheers, Graham.

Liked: 934

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Yea I think Dave Bean might have been a little too late, but thanks for the response. Dennis Firestone told me he got my car off of a Lotus gut in Orange County in either late 70 or 71 but can't remember his name at the moment so I am just poking around to see if somebody may have remembered a Lotus importer/dealer who sold the Lotus 61 back then. I am pretty sure there can't have been that many of them in the area. Thanks for the help.
    Cheers, Graham.
    Hello Graham,

There was a Lotus dealer in Newport Beach in the late 60's/early 70's on Pacific Coast Highway. All I recall seeing were road cars, Elans and Europas. Don't recall the name.

Have you considered contacting the Lotus FF registry?

Another would be the archivist at Lotus Cars,

Andy Graham
    Lotus Archives (Longwater)
    Lotus Cars Ltd.
    Potash Lane
    Hethel
    Norwich, Norfolk
    NR14 8EZ
    England
    agraham@lotuscars.co.uk

Phone number: (01603) 732178
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thanks Dan. I will get in contact with them and see what I can find out. Thanks for your time.
    Graham.

I have sent Andy a message so we will see what he can come up with. Thanks again.
    Cheers, Graham.

Thread Information