Thread: Drivers Suit

Liked: 111

Default Drivers Suit

My wife says it's time for a new drivers suit...wahooo. any suggestions...

Liked: 309

Kiss your wife?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Keith Averil !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 592

Default Driver suit

What ya looking for ?
    Cost range
    Standard size, custom size.
    plain design, custom or wildly custom
    standard Nomex, FR, Carbon-X.
    arm restraints built in
    etc.etc.etc.
    ??
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 896

Keith knows all.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

KEITH, how about the coolest suit you know of. I HATE being cooked in the car , there are so many suits out there , I am also pretty large and short . the last one I got was a 64 or 66 and i had about 4 inches cut off the legs. I do not have a cool suit do to the voltage required would be close to max amp for the alternator,,,,, thoughts, and thanks

Default Drivers Suit

Once you get started in racing and know you want to continue at it for a while, your best investment is a custom sized (and designed if you want) uniform. It will outlast the car you drive in many cases.
    Yes, you can get a standard size, cookie cutter, someone's idea of a size that may fit you and that a factory cranks out uniform, but I like it when it fits.
    For that reason, I use (and sell) Design 500 (Lady Eagle Safetywear for the women) for uniforms you plan to keep.
    Currently, the most common combination I have built for my single-seater racers, is a SFI 3.2A-5, 2 layer, woven Nomex outer layer, a Carbon-X inner layer with built-in arm restraints. Something like that starts at $1195.00. If you start adding options or colorful/difficult designs, it increase.
    This combination of materials is cooler then the standard two layer Nomex uniform, because of the more agreeable nature of the Carbon-X.
    A note of interest. Many of the uniforms F-1 drivers use are so thin, that they will not pass the minimums after the first wash. OK if you make their income or the uniforms are paid for by someone else.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Having had many firesuits over the years, many adequate and many less so, I agree with the suggestion to get a custom-fitted suit. I have no intention of knocking any particular company's products, many of which may be fine, but I am currently wearing the lightest and coolest and most comfortable (and, I am told, very fire-resistant) suit I have ever had. When I was at Indy for the SVRA event this year, Robby Unser was having a new custom-designed suit fitted there by Hinchman Racewear, and after talking to the reps and looking at what they could do, I ordered their top-of-the-line suit for myself. After my first weekend of wearing it and racing in it, I am highly pleased. Frankly, it is not only the lightest and coolest and most comfortable I have had, but the model I bought is also the most expensive at $2000. Two other racers who were pitting with me also had suits made, and they are equally satisfied.
    I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend, and maybe how much your wife loves you. I have no prior or subsequent connection with the company, and am just offering this input as a satisfied customer. Here is their website:

http://www.hinchmanracewear.com/shopping/?ic=1000

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

thanks a ton, guys,,,, keep the suggestions coming

Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by charleswdaniels63 View Post
    Having had many firesuits over the years, many adequate and many less so, I agree with the suggestion to get a custom-fitted suit. I have no intention of knocking any particular company's products, many of which may be fine, but I am currently wearing the lightest and coolest and most comfortable (and, I am told, very fire-resistant) suit I have ever had. When I was at Indy for the SVRA event this year, Robby Unser was having a new custom-designed suit fitted there by Hinchman Racewear, and after talking to the reps and looking at what they could do, I ordered their top-of-the-line suit for myself. After my first weekend of wearing it and racing in it, I am highly pleased. Frankly, it is not only the lightest and coolest and most comfortable I have had, but the model I bought is also the most expensive at $2000. Two other racers who were pitting with me also had suits made, and they are equally satisfied.
    I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend, and maybe how much your wife loves you. I have no prior or subsequent connection with the company, and am just offering this input as a satisfied customer. Here is their website:

http://www.hinchmanracewear.com/shopping/?ic=1000
    And you look marvelous in it too Charlie
    And the old schools brown driving boots too! Yeah, I saw you buying those, lmao.

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

At the age of 71, it's hard to find anything to make you look good. But I'll take what I can get. The very attractive female sales rep was so good at assuring me how good the suit would look on me and how much time it would take off my lap- times. Actually, she did a faux slip at one point and instead of saying the suit would be good for "a couple of tenths," it came out "a couple of inches" instead. I was a lamb being led down the slaughterhouse ramp. I knew I was being hustled, but it worked, but the good news is that they make great suits.

Liked: 111

Default Drivers suit

KEIth,

I was looking at 3 piece Sparco, w/carbon X underwear.. The three piece suits run to $2400. and while I'm not adverse to spending the money, I want to make sure I'm getting the best protection. Comfort is also a consideration. I currently have built in (sewn in) arm restraints and would do the same again. OG racing has Sparco in stock and you can try them on which might be a plus...

Liked: 76

On the other end of the spectrum for custom sfi5 suits try Tim Lee.
    www.tracksidetim.com

American made custom suits of good quality aprox $500-$1000 price range
    butch deer

Default Drivers Suit

Grapefarmeral
    A three layer suit will be very bulky and not breath very well at all. The only group I know that require such a uniform, is in the upper forms of Drag racing, in which case, theirs may be an SFA 3.2-10 or 15. Also, they get to peal if off after a short period of time.
    A two layer, SFI3.2-5 uniform with Carbon-X long leg bottoms and a mock turtle neck top would prove much more confortable to wear for long periods of time then a three layer option. And, for races in the middle of the summer you can change to our Carbon-X shorts and Tee's for even less bulk.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Lots of 3 layer suits are only 3.2A/5....the /10, /15, /20 suits worn by front engined fuel cars at the strip and Bonneville are often 4 or more layers.

3 layers doesn't necessarily get you more protection than 2 when the layers are different materials, weights and weaves.

Generally the FIA suits are made to one standard, manufacturers utilizing 3 layers aren't always building more protection into the suit, they are sometimes building suits out of lighter and/or more comfortable layers relying on the air between layers for additional thermal protection.

Inner layer to be comfortable and provide good wicking....may not be the best thermal protection.

Middle layer can be uncomfortable against skin, not as good looking, but very effective thermal protection.

Outer layer can provide good protection, while coming in a variety of colors and sheen properties.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a sparco due to hit or miss with quality control on the stitching.

Thread Information