Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 447

Soooooo cool!! I'm always concerned this will be forgotten about and never come to fruition. Glad to see you're still at it! Remember to back up your files! I don't know how many times I've heard people developing really cool stuff only later to find out, "Oh yeah, I lost a hard drive and all of the source files I had.."
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Way cool stuff! Can't wait to 'kick the tires.'
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Soooooo cool!! I'm always concerned this will be forgotten about and never come to fruition. Glad to see you're still at it! Remember to back up your files! I don't know how many times I've heard people developing really cool stuff only later to find out, "Oh yeah, I lost a hard drive and all of the source files I had.."

Yep, I have backups on top of backups. Which reminds me I need to backup my backup again. And don't worry, if for some reason I can finish things up I'll hand the files over to someone who can. I've had some offers from mod groups but for now I want to get the textures done and get it in game before handing it off. Niels Heusinkveld agreed about a year ago to do the physics if I would model a car for him. Unfortunately at that time I couldn't do it but things have changed so I may see if he's still interested. That would be the best scenario I could imagine.

So when does the VanDiemen and Piper work start?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

So when does the VanDiemen and Piper work start?
    If I had all the blueprints, measurements etc. I'd start them tomorrow. Actually spend about 90% of the time researching dimensions. Once it have those things it goes pretty fast. For now I'd be happy to get the DB1 completed for round one.

Liked: 9

If you need some help making skins for any of these cars, please let me know. All I need is a photo and I can work from that. I have tons of San Francisco Region FF photos and 30 years of SportsCar magazines, but not much from anywhere else. I've made at least 100 rFactor skins by now. I pride myself on being able to find correct number fonts (or something close if they were painted, like Vasser's 1983 #20). For what I can't figure out, I know Doug Carter can!

Liked: 822

Quote Originally Posted by RDeLong View Post
    If I had all the blueprints, measurements etc. I'd start them tomorrow. Actually spend about 90% of the time researching dimensions. Once it have those things it goes pretty fast. For now I'd be happy to get the DB1 completed for round one.
    Rich,
    Do you have all the measurements you need for the DB1? When you mentioned 'BLUEPRINT', it suddenly dawned on me that I had seen a real blueprint for the DB-1 and I though it was pretty cool, so I grabbed a copy .. even though I don't, and probably never will drive one. If it would help you out, I'll be glad to email you a copy - it's a PDF file. Sorry I didn't think about it when you were desperately searching for measurements.

Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Rich,
    Do you have all the measurements you need for the DB1? When you mentioned 'BLUEPRINT', it suddenly dawned on me that I had seen a real blueprint for the DB-1 and I though it was pretty cool, so I grabbed a copy .. even though I don't, and probably never will drive one. If it would help you out, I'll be glad to email you a copy - it's a PDF file. Sorry I didn't think about it when you were desperately searching for measurements.

Steve, FV80
    Hey Steve, yea send it along. I'm pretty much done with the DB-1 modeling wise but it would help with physics development. All I really have left to do on the DB1 is setting up GMTs to get it in game and of course all the physics which for rf2 is the most difficult part.

[Cameron] I'll take you up on that offer Cameron. May be a bit before I have complete templates ready however. I've been waiting for the beta to get far enough along that their shaders aren't so buggy and wonky. Plus the 2012 mygale's been keeping me a bit occupied as well.

zooooom.

Liked: 23

Silly question: who's going to be the first one to take the files and print a 3d scale model of a db1? Is it even really feasible?
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Theoretically, if you could drive a FC in rFactor2 which would be most appealing:

1. RF99-01
    2. DP08
    3. Other

I'm leaning toward RF01 since there would perhaps be more data available for physics. Just toying with the idea.

Tim, not so silly of a question: Several others have asked. I'm open to it however it will take a bit of work to upgrade the models to a poly count that would print well and a format that could print. When I started these projects years ago I wasn't quite aware of 3d printing. Would be cool. Maybe when we can all buy a 3d printer at Office Max. But by then we will probably be able to scan cars with smartphones and have 1/2 scale models delivered the next day.
    Last edited by RDeLong; 12.03.12 at 2:18 AM.

body done. It works. Moving on to cockpit.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

for FC I would say RF01 since like you said, lots of data already out there. Plus all the Van Diemens are pretty much the same from 01 and up...

Quote Originally Posted by anthonywill3 View Post
    for FC I would say RF01 since like you said, lots of data already out there. Plus all the Van Diemens are pretty much the same from 01 and up...
    Yea since I posted that I've been leaning more in that direction. Haven't started modeling anything yet but I'm focusing on collecting info on the RF01.

One question I have is whether the frame for a RF01 FF would more or less be the same as an RF01 FC? I've been able to find some critical chassis data for a RF01-06 FF zetec. Curious how translatable that would be to a FC.

One question I have is whether the frame for a RF01 FF would more or less be the same as an RF01 FC? I've been able to find some critical chassis data for a RF01-06 FF zetec. Curious how translatable that would be to a FC.
    As far as I know, yes. Different engine mounts and wings.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

As far as I know, yes. Different engine mounts and wings.
    That's what I was hoping. I believe they both use the LD200 tranny so I basically have the chassis pickup points (or close to it). Only data I'm really missing at this point is the wishbone specs. and some setup info. The latter shouldn't be too hard. Oh the upright specs would be nice too but not critical especially since they appear to have zero-ackerman . Can come close enough with those with pictures and published brake specs.

Default Model Blueprint

Four weeks of research boiled down to a few simple screens. Start modeling soon. VD 01 Wide Track. FC and FF. As excited about this on as the DB1. Will be a better track mate for the DB1 as well.

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Where is my freaking "LIKE" button??????!?!!?!

2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Where is my freaking "LIKE" button??????!?!!?!

Second that!

I would LOVE to do a FC on rfactor. Or rf2 ...

Liked: 296

Any progress on this project? Or any mirrors out there where I can download a good FF mod?
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Find the Lola and get the mods. Do a search of my posts, and it should be there.

try here: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53538 or go back to page two, and it should be there.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Knocking the dust off of this one, Rich.. Any news?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I was just poking around the sim forum and saw an update to Rich's work. I'd hate to steal his thunder, but it was posted earlier this year and I'm excited to see it modeled...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Any news, Rich!! The latest GingerMan release got my sim wheel itching again..
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Any news, Rich!! The latest GingerMan release got my sim wheel itching again..
    Hey Keith, sorry for the long black out. I'm making some progress on the RF01 since finding a benefactor to help develop the physics. That's really been the holdup. The physical 3d model and the physics need to be sync in some places so it's taking some time to get all the details I need. Real life has also been quite busy this year as well - lots of travel for work and kids activities in the evenings.

I'm very optimistic now that I'm getting some help with physics and I can focus on the graphics which are my expertise. Should really help speed things along. All along I've only been interested in doing something accurate as opposed to fantasy so it's nice to have a capable development partner with access to the car.

I've gathered quite a bit on the DB-1 as well but the RF01 (FF) will be the focus in the near term since the data is readily available. The DB-1 has been mostly exported into the game with the exception of all the critical suspension bits - still need some more data before I can finalize that part of the model and setup the physical susp model.

ISI also recently improved some features with the latest build (906) that really help as well (particularly the non-linear gauge support which is needed for the tach). Their shaders for rendering the car in game are getting better as well but can still be hit and miss and they provide zero documentation for each shader (becomes a guessing game about which to use to achieve materials). Having to largely deconstruct ISI cars to see how they are constructed in rf2 - long process particularly when I only have a few hours available every couple weeks.

It'll get there eventually.

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you're making great progress! I'm just glad to see that it hasn't been abandoned.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 102

I'm very optimistic now that I'm getting some help with physics and I can focus on the graphics which are my expertise. Should really help speed things along. All along I've only been interested in doing something accurate as opposed to fantasy so it's nice to have a capable development partner with access to the car.

I've gathered quite a bit on the DB-1 as well but the RF01 (FF) will be the focus in the near term since the data is readily available. The DB-1 has been mostly exported into the game with the exception of all the critical suspension bits - still need some more data before I can finalize that part of the model and setup the physical susp model.

It'll get there eventually.
    What do you need to finalize/complete the DB-1 model?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    What do you need to finalize/complete the DB-1 model?
    Hi Brian,

There are quite a few gaps currently. I haven't taken a close look at the DB-1 data recently. Off the top of my head I know I don't have much data on item weights, especially outboard stuff. rFactor can model inertia quite accurately so corner weights and front rear distribution are important.

There are a few dimensions in regards to uprights and spindle width that I'll need for the model and the physics. Basically I need to locate a "spindle center" (typically intersection of axle center and kinpin) in relation to outboard pickups.. and the distance to the wheel mounting surface in relation to spindle center.

I have pickup measures so I don't need those.

In real-life car, spindle center can move around with spindle based on setup but for rFactor it's fixed - so I need to find a good race setup for the DB-1 and base my fixed spindle location on that; in relation to the pickup points. Sounds confusing but based on rFactor limitations this method helps to get physics as accurate as possible. Most folks are pretty sensitive about setups so I'm not expecting to get that easily. Otherwise I'll base setup on the swift recommendation in the manual.

Also not sure if there is any static caster, or camber built into the upright but if there is I'll need to know that. Haven't figured out yet how much adjustment is present in the lower front wishbone... or any wishbone for that matter. I've been assuming that the upper wishbones are fixed. Haven't noticed if the lower ones have any static ends that can't be adjusted - probably doesn't matter anyway since I can't move spindle center in the game like the actual suspension would.

There are probably other detailed things but these are the more difficult ones to procure on my own. If you're interested in helping in any capacity drop me a pm and we can chat.

Liked: 177

Any update on the RF01?
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

I have been looking to add rfactor so my sim racing routine, and wanted to see how the db1 model was doing. If needed, I have wingeo files of all tje suspension parts. I also have a detailed cad model of tue frame and sheet metal parts.

You still out there, Rich? Did that DB-1 ever make it out of the sim garage?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

36. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 73

I just installed and began racing rfactor. Downloaded the 1973 Lola 540 FF and love it.
    Was wondering if the DB-1 model got completed.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Buc01 View Post
    I just installed and began racing rfactor. Downloaded the 1973 Lola 540 FF and love it.
    Was wondering if the DB-1 model got completed.

Aaron

Never heard back from Rich on the DB-1, unfortunately. There is an RF99 VanDiemen in rF2 (don't use the latest version since the physics went to garbage) as well as a USF2000 Tatuus car from 2017 that is fantastic. There's also a Formula Ford mod for rF2 as well, but I haven't tried it out yet.

http://www.internationalsimracing.co...p?topic=4150.0
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Default Rfactor1 Swift Db1

Never heard back from Rich on the DB-1, unfortunately. There is an RF99 VanDiemen in rF2 (don't use the latest version since the physics went to garbage) as well as a USF2000 Tatuus car from 2017 that is fantastic. There's also a Formula Ford mod for rF2 as well, but I haven't tried it out yet.

http://www.internationalsimracing.co...p?topic=4150.0
    Thank you Keith. Have not bought rfactor2 yet. Am enjoying rfactor1 with the Lola 540 FF.

Aaron

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by Buc01 View Post
    Thank you Keith. Have not bought rfactor2 yet. Am enjoying rfactor1 with the Lola 540 FF.

Aaron
    Aaron,
    I'm learning so forgive the dumb question - Why did you buy rf1 instead of rf2?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Aaron,
    I'm learning so forgive the dumb question - Why did you buy rf1 instead of rf2?
    Only reason I can think of is a hardware limitation. Everything in rF2 is better than rF in every way.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Only reason I can think of is a hardware limitation. Everything in rF2 is better than rF in every way.
    Can you use that Lola from rf1 in rf2? As an FF driver, not sure using the 2017 Tatuus is the best training tool. (Of course, it's better than not racing!)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Can you use that Lola from rf1 in rf2? As an FF driver, not sure using the 2017 Tatuus is the best training tool. (Of course, it's better than not racing!)
    No, they aren't backwards compatible unless the mod from rFactor is actually converted to rFactor2 by someone. You may also want to try out the Formula Ford mod if you wanted an open wheel car without aero. I'm not sure how good the physics are for it though. Aside from hardware limitations, another reason to still run rF over rF2 is that there are a lot of mods out there that never got created in rF2 if you still want to run some of the old content that was community created like the SRF.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    I went with rfactor1 because I have several friends that I want to race with (eventually) and they have older PC's.
    (so yes, hardware limitations).

So:

1. Wanted to get back into sim racing (used to do it a LONG time ago) - since I can't race my 1991 VD FC for the near future
    2. Did not want to spend any $ on hardware upgrades - trying to stay as liquid as possible during COVID-19
    3. Several of my friends have PC hardware challenges for rfactror2, but not rfactor1
    4. I researched the online content and saw "bunch" of stuff on rfactor1 that looked interesting to me

As a side note: Been using the Lola 340 FF and I love it. Have been racing online with 1 of my friends the last few days and had one hell of a battle at Lime Rock. Would recommend the Lake Afton track and the Toban Runoff track. All three suit the Lola FF very well. I really like how you can set the Lola 340 FF up to "slide" through a corner and correct it.

If anyone is interested it getting together some time to race (i only intend to do it casually - not join a league etc..) please feel free to reach out to me. Email: buc1@cox.net

I do intend to try the rfactor2 demo and see the difference myself, but am very content with rfactor1 for now.

Stay safe everyone!

Aaron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information