Liked: 41

Default If you plan on selling something in the classifieds

Please answer your PM and emails.
    What is the point to advertising something when you don't respond to potential buyers.
    If ya do.... maybe they will buy your stuff!
    Wow... what a concept!

Rant over

Liked: 3772

If the advertiser lists a phone number in the ad, it is always best to use that number.
    I know of many advertisers that only get on Apexspeed about once a week, but answer their phone each time it rings.

Liked: 1417

Both good points.

I am a strong believer that if you are trying to sell something on the internet, that you should at least be mildly computer literate. If you hope to sell things on the web, you should probably be on the web more than once or twice a week. If you list something on a discussion forum to sell, not responding to fairly standard forms of internet communication is poor form. Many people don't have an opportunity during normal business hours to pick up a phone to make a personal or hobby phone call.

My rule of thumb is that if you can't work the e-mail machine, you probably shouldn't be selling expensive race cars and parts on the internets. And buyers, if those people can't be bothered to even respond to a simple PM or e-mail, how do you think those guys are going to do when it comes to shipping you an engine, a set of wheels or a complete race car? I'm just sayin'...

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    And buyers, if those people can't be bothered to even respond to a simple PM or e-mail, how do you think those guys are going to do when it comes to shipping you an engine, a set of wheels or a complete race car? I'm just sayin'...
    I agree with both the OP and Doug,

Youngins need to realize us not-so-old folks don't live with smartphones attached to our hand. We aren't checking emails and texts every 3.4 seconds.

If there is a phone number CALL, unless it says text at xxx-xxx-xxxx. If they give an email address that's a pretty good indication that is what they check most often.

Sending somebody a PM for an ad that is 5 months old and the user has 10 posts in 8 years here probably isn't the best method if you are trying to reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Sending somebody a PM for an ad that is 5 months old and the user has 10 posts in 8 years here probably isn't the best method if you are trying to reach them.
    We also get "fly-bys" as well, where a new user will come by to just to buy or sell something, or an old user will post his one thread per 5-year quota just to sell something. It's difficult to believe that the seller is going to have much luck selling something without even light participation in the forums, but I'm sure they do. They just reduce their odds greatly by doing that. There are guys who have listed stuff here for other people who aren't computer savvy, which makes me ridiculously nervous. Caveat emptor on those, as far as I'm concerned.

Search the post history of the OP of the Classified ad you are seeing and see if they do much in the way of forum participation, or they are just sellers and lurkers. User Profiles will tell you the last time that person actually logged into ApexSpeed. If he hasn't been here in a while, don't expect immediate communication (if any, at all).

Liked: 41

Default Selling

I certainly agree with the phone number and making the call if the number is listed..... but in two very recent requests, I have had no contact from the selling and if memory serves me correctly, there was no phone number.

I may be wrong here, but isn't there a way to get an email when someone PM's you.
    I know I get them from the DSR Forum. If so, I'm sure the majority of us check our emails once a day or at min several times a week.

Either way, the moral of the story is...if your selling something, reach out to the buyer.... it seems to be a more successful means of generating revenue.

Linz

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimanz View Post
    I may be wrong here, but isn't there a way to get an email when someone PM's you. I know I get them from the DSR Forum. If so, I'm sure the majority of us check our emails once a day or at min several times a week.
    Yes, by default the forum is set up to do that. However, any user can shut that feature off. Also, many times a user uses an e-mail from an account that they don't often check (like gmail.com or yahoo.com), to avoid extra mail in their mailbox.

This forum is better than most others with the Classifieds, and infinitely better than CraigsList, where you are lucky to get ANY response from any inquiry. I would say one out of 10 is a good ratio, these days on CraigsList.

Thread Information