Liked: 0

Default Pertronix again (I checked archive)

The archives seem to have a variety of information on the pertronix units for f2000/bosch dist.

Overall, it seems the opinion is to use the Ignitor II.

Discrepancies arise as to whether it is:

1. a drop-in or requires distributor mods

2. requires a coil with specific resistance (1.5-3 ohms).

3. cannot be used with a HEI coil.

I have an MSD 6ALN with a MSD Blaster coil. So far have had no probs with points. MSD coil is preferred according to MSD for use with their box.

I am (aren't we all ) looking for more reliability & ease so am considering pertronix so I don't have to mess with gap/dwell/condenser issues.

Can any of the pertronix units be used with the msd box/coil setup?

If so what is the part number.

Are there any special risks involved with the MSD coil? (burning up coil or coil burning up pertronix etc)

OR, is this one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' things?

TIA for advice from the experts here...

Liked: 23

I can't actually answer your questions specifically, but I've found Pertronix customer support to be very valuable when I had questions on their products. Their first line responder is kinda inexperienced, but he gets the right answers from the more senior engineers. (909) 599-5955

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I can say for sure that Pertronix Model 1843 drops right in a Bosch 2 liter distributor. I have one and tried it as I am trying to sell it. Nothing wrong with it, never been installed, except for the time that I tried it for fit, just that I dislike very much anything electric, let alone electronic. I know I am still living in the cave man days.

Steve

Liked: 123

Default Pertronix

I've used them for years in various cars. I paired mine with their own "blaster" coil and found that it worked just fine. It also worked fine with a Bosch blue coil, which is what I usually run.

Dislikes - it's really hard to set static timing and get an engine running for the first time. I've had them fail for no reason. They seem to be susceptible to stray high voltage running about inside of the distributor cap - I put one failure down to a rotor that developed a carbon trace to ground and fried the module.

For me, up to 7000 rpm, points still do a good job. When I used Pertronix, I carried a complete distributor set up with points as a backup.

Brian

Yeah Steve, I saw your advertisement. I also am kinda a points guy, but looking for improvements. I haven't been able to confirm that the 1843 part number unit you have is the one I would need. None of the posts refer to that number, also the Pegasus catalog doesn't show any Pertronix part number, just their number.
    I need to call pertronix, I guess.

I'm balking at buying yours because I just bought the MSD coil to work with their box, so I am not ready to buy another coil along with the pertronix (I kept the Bosch blue coil for spare).

Have been using Bosch Blue coils and points systems since 1968 with only a couple of problems in all those years. Variety of cars too: Porsche 356SC, several VW, FV, FSV, FF and now FC.

Everyone seems to have points available. I don't like the idea of being at a track and having the pertronix go out and having to switch back in a short time. Kinda hard to justify carrying a $130 spare set of electronic points when I could carry a full ignition set (cap, rotor, condensor, points) for $25.

Yours might be worth a gamble after confirming with pertronix.......

Default Pertronix

I Purchased A Pertonix 1847v Off Of Ebay. Try Item Number 8052414076. It Was A Direct Bolt In For My Bosch Distributor. And Yes You Must Use The Matching Pertronix Coil.

By The Way, I Purchased A Backup Motorcraft Distibutor From Advance Auto Parts For About $26.

Jb

JB, Do you haver the part number on the distributor you got from Advance Auto?
    Bill Hetzel

Thread Information