37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 27.03%
  • No

27 72.97%

Thread: Carbon Tub?

Liked: 709

Default Carbon Tub?

I'm still not sold on the carbon concept. Stan makes a great point regarding the enhanced safety of a carbon which nobody will refute. Jon Baytos also makes a good point regarding the safety record of current FC cars. My biggest concern is that when one is introduced, it will become required and costs will skyrocket. Just don't know it's a good idea.
    Ignore any aero discussion in this poll.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 126

I voted no. However, I would not rule it out in the picture 3-4 years way. Also, like Lee Stohr's sports racers, I would allow a tube frame with carbon reinforcement / strengthening / stiffening. I envision $20-$30K cars, not $35-$50K cars. One of the primary advantages of the M/C powerplants is the relatively low cost. Are we now going to alter that philosophy by allowing carbon tubs? Only if we can obtain those tubs relatively inexpensively.

Thanks to ApexSpeed for our own section.
    Rob

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav
    Only if we can obtain those tubs relatively inexpensively.
    Thanks to ApexSpeed for our own section.
    Rob
    Like Rob, I, & everyone else knows, inexpensive carbon tubs are never going to happen. There are other classes for racers with unlimited budgets, lets try to keep this a class for "real racers" that enjoy building or converting & driving their own race cars. As far as carbon being safer, if you can afford a carbon tub, you can afford to race a factory built car in another class. The concept of using motorcycle engines in formula cars came about as a method of lower cost, high performance racing for racers that prefer open wheel. The use of carbon tubs completely goes against this concept.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 126

Wow - I could not have said that any better.

Liked: 709

The nays have it. The poll is now closed and I've updated the sticky post with the elimination of carbon construction. On to the next poll!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Thread Information