Thread: Block Repair?

Liked: 0

Default Block Repair?

OK folks I need some input here. One of the lower tabs on the backside of the block (bell housing mount) is broken. Half of the tab, or I should say half of the bolthole is still there. What would be the best method of welding that piece back on? I'm sure someone has seen this sort of thing before. If I wasn't such a dumb A$$ and could figure out how to post a picture you would see what I'm talking about.

Thanks Guys.

john

Liked: 3787

In my recent high profile incident, 4 of the tabs on the rear of the block were sheared off. In conversation with multiple engine buiilders I found that repair of such damage is fairly routine, although it is usually only one tab. It requires one who is experienced at welding cast iron.

It is best if you have the pieces that broke off. My broken pieces may be somewhere near M-O turn 11. This loss of little cast iron pieces may necessitate a block replacement. Jury is still out.

Good news is that it sounds like you have the piece. I have been told that it can be welded with the engine assembled. Your second piece of good news.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have the chunk that came off so it sounds like it can be fixed.

john

Liked: 1

John,

I've spoken to Jay Ivey and Neil Porter about this, since both my motors have this problem. Apparently it can be fixed without the motor coming apart in most cases - Jay told me the kind of welding rod to use, and how to go about it, but I'm not confident of my memory/understanding to repeat that -- check with Jay - he was very specific.

Cheers,
    James
    Stuff, t-shirts and stuff... http://www.cafepress.com/ffwear

Default Pre-heat

Thanks to Pinecone, I now have a new technical reference at the Lincoln Welders website to use as a starting point for welding questions...

Check out this article: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ronpreheat.asp

Seems consistent with what I remember hearing - preheating the block before welding and controlling the cooling rate after welding are key elements.

Liked: 8

Default Castaloy?

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I did try the alumalloy. It worked.
    http://www.alumaloy.net/

Thread Information