Liked: 141

Default New Use for Old Atlantics

As time goes on more recent Atlantics are being accepted in vintage/historic events. Next weekend at SVRA's Formula Car Festival there will be four post-F70 Atlantics - 2 from 1980 [Ralt and March], a 1988 EuroSwift and a 1998 Swift 008. These will be on track in the BOSS series along with a Benetton F1, an F3000, two Indy Lights and a Formula Holden. These are of course in addition to the usual 1970 Atlantics from the F70 group.

Liked: 553

A 1998 Swift? I'll say that's post 1970! I wonder what the reason is that SVRA is letting in such new cars. Is it just to get more entry fees? Or increase the size of too-small fields?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default 'Vintage'

Russ - think about it logically - vintage/historic race organizers provide an opportunity for people with 'no longer competitive in SCCA or wherever' race cars to race in a safe, interesting, competitive atmosphere. Sure the usual definition of 'vintage' makes you think of old cars [it used to mean pre-war to me, WWII that is] but rather than make owners wait for a decade or two while their cars deteriorate organizers now say "Heh, there's an interesting group of cars that's got nowhere to go play let's accomodate them". Sure many of them are businesses and always welcome additional revenue from extra entries but then so are most support activities that we need to go racing.

Heh - you live near Atlanta - want to come to the SVRA finale at Road Atlanta - October 21-23? I'll have some spare crew spots. Or better still bring your RT5 and come play - you'll beat me easily!

Liked: 115

Default Svra

Russ:

Come on up to VIR and check out the vintage scene and then enter your "old" '83 Ralt in the Road Atlanta event! You'll love it. My '85 Swift DB2 will be at VIR along with 20 or more other S2's. Biggest S2 fields in the country. As a general rule, SVRA will look with favor on a car that is more than 10 years old. The BOSS series is a showcase for more recent cars that have been sidelined by the disappearance of their series, etc. Really cool racing watching those fast guys. Heck, an Indy Lights car can be bought for about $60K, are pretty safe, and not too expensive to maintain. And they go like hell. Try on a new Zetec and see how much. It's all relative.

Anyway, come to VIR & look me up.

JAG

Hey, Derek. I'm looking at the SVRA Road Atlanta schedule. What group would my '83 Ralt RT-5 be in? It's kinda fun to think about racing with SVRA, especially since it's so close to home.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ - you'd be in Group 9 with all the F70 cars plus afew more modern class FL cars - such as Bobby Brown's RT4. Since Supervees are not specifically mention in SVRA's spec page http://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/attachmentweb/EJEN-5ZGGBD/$file/SVRA+Group+9+-+2005.pdf?OpenElement I've emailed Jack Woehrle and asked him to confirm and [hopefully] reply on this forum.

See you there! Derek

edit - since the link isn't active go to svra.com - then Car Info /Race Groups - then under Group 9 /Detailed Rules.

Thanks, Derek. What's it like being on the track with big fast cars (F1, F3000, Indy cars)? Is there a pretty big speed differential between the fastest and the slowest? I guess everyone is aware and hopefully driving within reason.

IIRC, the outright track record at Rd Atl is held by (Dobson?) in a Players Champ Car, right? Something like a 1:10 lap? Let's see ..., he's be lapping me every 6 laps? Yowza.

I've often thought about running a vintage/historic race. Looks like great atmosphere. It may take some doing for this cheapskate driver to get over the $500 entry fee, tho.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 146

Russ,

I can tell you what it is like mixing it with F1's etc.

One of the guys in our club has a Ferrari F1 turbo, and when we are out together, it scares the buggery out of me. You cannot see it coming, and where us Formula Fords are doing about 120k coming out of a corner, it comes past about twice that speed. The accelleration on those things has to be seen to be belived. Strangly, its not much faster in slow corners, and we can catch up to it into very tight corners. However, the flames coming out from the turbos are a bit daunting.

One of the other guys has Jack Brabhams F1 car that won the world championship in 1966(?). At our last meeting on a tight circuit, I beat it. It certinally shows the difference between a 1966 F1 and a 1973 Formula Ford.

Forgot the photo

Russ - Jack Woehrle [SVRA Tech Director] has just confirmed to me "Yes" your car is eligible - so get your entry in and we'll see you there.

Regarding speed differentials - don't worry - you do use your mirrors don't you? Not sure why our Aussie friend claims not to be able to see the F1 cars coming - maybe they can't see properly upside down.

edit: heh - you're invited to the Monoposto party on Friday evening and your entry includes the SVRA annual banquet on Saturday!
    Last edited by dereklola; 10.07.05 at 12:22 PM.

Dereklola, not only are we hanging on for grim death upside down, we also drive on the wrong side of the road, and race in the other direction. I think it has something to do with the way the water flows down the sink. I think the engine rotates the other way too.

- and your Sydney Harbour Bridge was originally designed as a tunnel

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Russ,

I believe Duncan Dayton holds the outright lap record at Road Atlanta in the 1995 Villeneuve Players car and possibly Larry Connors holds the race lap record in the Bennetton. My failing memory wants to say a 1:09.7?

Being on the track with them takes a concerted effort to watch your mirrors and, above all else, maintain your line. Do not help. As for relative speeds of older and newer cars, one has to consider the relative investment in an ex-Brabham World Championship car versus a FF. With very few exceptions these cars are not driven anywhere near their limit.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Thread Information