Liked: 0

Default Dampers - Right Side Up?

Okay,

Another fairly elementary question that I should probably have the answer to, but dont...

As far as I know, I have non-adjustable Bilstein dampers on my Hawke (the spring perches say Spax, but I believe thy came from somewhere else).

Currently, the dampers are mounted with the body closest to the uprights (outboard suspension all 'round), and the shaft attached to the chassis.

Are Bilstein dampers mounting-orientation sensitive? You would think from an unsprung weight perspective that I'd want to flip them upside down, connecting the body to the chassis and having the shaft point down to the upright, yes? Of course, that puts the spring (heavy) closer to the upright, so maybe I have it right as it stands after all.

Can I get some input from the knowledgeable folks out there?

I'll be changing springs / setting alignment tonight and would like to know the right thing to do when I start. Thanks!

Liked: 3

I also have Bilstiens on my car, but the body is up.

I think Carroll Smith mentioned shock orientation in one of his books, and if I recall correctly, he said that Bilstiens have an advantage (over the other shocks available in 1974) in that they can be mounted with the tube (body) up.

The other hint that they're meant to be this way: the part number stamped into the body is right-side-up the way I have them mounted. And of course the ride height adjusters are very easy to get to for adjustments.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 930

I ran bilsteins with the body side up for a long time. It is OK to do and reduces unsprung weight with no effort or cost.

Liked: 0

Thanks guys,

Turns out that the chassis and a-arm layout prohibits me from flipping the dampers at the front (without fabricating new perches, bushings), but we flipped them at the back.

We'll see how it works.
    (As if I could distinguish the difference anyway!...)

Liked: 1

Won't this change your comp. and rebound if they are valved differently?
    ie. now you rebound is what your comp. was?
    Just a thought.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H
    Won't this change your comp. and rebound if they are valved differently?
    ie. now you rebound is what your comp. was?
    Just a thought.
    Mark,

Think about it . . .

Dick (who hopes I don't need to think about it )

Liked: 3787

Shouldn't matter. Compression is compression, rebound is rebound, no matter the orientation. Non-adjustable Bilsteins usually have the compression and rebound numbers stamped into the body.

Liked: 2

Default Sources?

On the subject of Bilsteins, does anyone have info on someone who rebuilds these non-adjustable Bilsteins? I have two that might make one good one after my argument with the guardrail. If not rebuildable, a source for new/used ones would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike Allison

PS - Mine are mounted on my Crossle 30F tube up as well.

Liked: 555

Default Bilstein

Here ya go, LeMike:

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php

I see that the price has gone up a little, but still pretty reasonable at $65 ea. for a simple rebuild. The cost goes up a little if they need to replace a major part.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 958

Default Bilstein Can

I had the nice folks in Poway, CA rebuild mine last year. The only parts they could reuse were the bodies. Everything else was replaced. Cost was about $575 including new spherical bearings. They will rebuild with the bump and rebound to your specs

Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 2

Default Thanks

Thanks Russ...Dan,
    And thanks to ApexSpeed for this forum

Mike

Thread Information