Liked: 0

Default getting into racing...

hey guys i read some of the other threads...just looking for peoples 2 cents im 18 ive tuned a couple cars (mostly an 86 mr2 that is now being parted after a broken rod). Anyways one of my couzins does formula ford out in chicago. I told him i was considering a f-vee and he said i should look into a f-f. i live outside of detroit. first off i dont even know where to look for a car. I'm going out to my couzins next race at grattan just to be sure thats what im interested in. thanks for any input from anyone.
    -Alex

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1491

Your age presents a lot of challenges. First, go back and read as many threads in the getting started area as you can. There are a bunch that talk about how much it costs to go racing. Then put together a budget - take your last year's worth of bills and figure out how much you spend to live and what is left over. Then you can be objective about the class, how many races you can run a season, and whether you rent or buy. (unless you are renting the car, it's tough to do this sport from an apartment). You could also crew for your cousin for a season, including doing the winter rebuild. That will give you an idea of the level of comittment required.

Then look into a professional FF school. Lots of people find that it's not as enjoyable as they thought, or simply don't have the skills required. Money at a pro school will save you in the long run regardless of the direction you take.

The varible costs of running a FF or FC at the bottom end of the scale are between $750 and $1000 per weekend - that includes costs for engine rebuilds, gearbox rebuilds, small parts replacement, crew costs, entry, tow costs and getting a LOT of heat cycles out of tires, but not the cost of acquiring the car, the trailer, the tow vehicle, or crash damage.

If you can't find the scratch to go FF or FC, the FV or karts beckon. There's a FV forum similar to this one, but karts are very locality specific, so you ought to drop by a local kart shop and check out their scene.

Without a benefactor or an incredible job, it's tough to go racing at your age. Not impossible, but definately a challenge requiring a certain amount of sacrifice.

i did leave a little thing out...i raced the mr2 for a short time and so money is not a major issue. i still live at home and my dads owns an industrial machine shop which is totaly open for me to use. i know how the costs pile up with racing and i would plan on taking a school for the ff class (although i have already taken them in a couple other cars). i have been reading past posts. I will be trying out my couzins ff in a couple weeks so i will know weither its for me or not by then. Any suggestions on where the hell you can even look to buy a used/new ff or fc?
    thanks
    -Alex

Default The classifieds

One of the best places to look for FF's and FC's for sale is this site. Both the
    FF and the FC section have classified ads. Your local SCCA region newsletter
    is another source, and hanging around the next SCCA race and asking questions
    may get you some leads. Also, there are a bunch of ads at http://www.race-cars.com/.

Hope that helps,
    John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Getting started

1. Join the SCCA. Attend their local events, and work as a volunteer--preferably in Tech. It will get you acquanited with the cars and a few drivers. You'll learn a lot, including who has what for sale. It will also get you SportsCar Magazine, which has an extensive listing of cars for sale.

2. Have a chat with Dad, and make sure that he's willing to pony up $10K to start. That will be a ballpark number for a used car. Don't forget that you'll need a trailer and tow vehicle and support equipment.

3. After you've got Dad a little pregnant, make sure that he's still willing to cover $1,000+ per race weekend to cover entry fees, fuel, tires, oil, rod ends, brake pads and the dozens of other bits and pieces that you'll go through.

4. Before you do ANY of this, rent a car and go through SCCA drivers school. You can still make one this fall. I'll rent you an FF for the Summit Point School in October for $2,000. There may be others who will do it for less. After doing the school, you'll either decide that (1) you've got to race and you'll do anything necessary to continue, or (2) it was kinda fun, but it was harder than you thought, and no thanks, it's not for me right now.

Good luck
    Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    703-759-0567 most evenings until 9:00 PM eastern
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information