Thread: build a trailer

Liked: 2

Default build a trailer

I'm thinking about building my own trailer. Would anyone be willing to share plans for a small trailer that will carry my CFF. I have a couple of photos I have taken that look like the ticket, but I'm not sure of all the dimensions. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all...

Ron Tebo
    15371 Harmony Lane
    Cheboygan, Michigan 49721

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Trailer Plans

Ron, Steve Smith motorsport books (or something similar to that) has a book and plans you can buy for building a car trailer. You can go directly to his site or check Amazon. Both are pretty cheap. You can get most of the components (wheels, axles, lights, hitch) from Northern Tools.

Liked: 3

Northern also has a couple of books on trailer design and construction.

Mine is just perfect for my Tiga. It may be a little wider than a Lola 540 would need, but I'll try to measure it today. I have a couple of suggestions for improving it, too.

Liked: 2

Default trailer

Thanks J, I would appreciate some dimensions and pics if possible. And if you have a book or drawings I would gladly return them. Many thanks....

Liked: 0

Default trailer engineering

Hi Ron,

First of all let me say how hard it was for me to have to cancel the Grattan EWC event - long story - but in short, the car was/is being repaired. I'll have to tell you about it next time. Scott continues to talk about our Mid-Ohio adventures - and he says "hello".

Trailer - I designed my open trailer back when I just got out of college. Of course being an engineer "newbie" I went hog wild designing it. Used FEA (finite element analysis) to help optimize the structure and to assure the best weight distribution. I tried to make it as light as possible yet still be incredibly stiff. I ended up with a nice trailer and have been told that it tows better than any trailer they have used. Enough back patting... What I am leading up to is that I have a CAD drawing (can supply a DXF file) of the trailer that you are welcome to use as you like. Or I would be happy to help you design a trailer of your own. One caveat - my trailer was designed to carry up to 3500lbs. When towing my FF you can hardly tell there is anything on the trailer! If I were to design a trailer for your CFF I would lighten it up considerably. Let me know if I can be of service - it's the least I can do - for all your help (and the other Ron's) changing the tranny seal at MO last year. That adventure goes into the long term memory for sure!!

Good luck at Grattan - look forward to seeing you guys soon. Will you be running any other events besides the EWC?

Take care,

Loren J. Tieman
    Reynard 83F
    No time, no talent, plenty of sleep....

Thread Information