Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default NEC-2 at Pocono Results

Very light turn-out -- all sessions were dry both Saturday and Sunday (only Sunday was for NEC points); rained hard overnight, but dry track on Sunday am.

Sunday NEC results

FF
    1. Bob Lutz
    2. Ray Boyer

NCF
    1. Dave Perlman
    2. Alan Walker
    3. Michael Foschi
    4. J. D. King (flat tire on next to last lap while leading NCF)
    5. Stephen Wilson (out early)

The winner of the lottery for a 1 year subscription to Formula Car Magazine was Ray Boyer. More to follow in the next few days.

Liked: 73

Default A great day, almost

After hearing the weather might be crappy, it turned out to be a beautiful race day. Sunny skies, a warm breeze, just right.
    We started the race in typical Pocono drag race fashion and got through the first lap cleanly, with Lutz taking the lead with Boyer in hot pursuit with me on his gearbox, a F5 car and then Foschi out dragging Wilson into T1. I don't know who, I assume a vee, scattered two cones marking the apex to T1 and on lap 2 Foschi miscued his turn-in and swapped ends in front of Wilson. Wilson avoided him by going off roading, the result of which was a puntured radiator, putting him out on Lap 2. Foschi was able to get it gathered up but not before losing ground to Perlman and Walker, who had a nice battle going for 2nd. Lutz kept a steady pace keeping Boyer back, while the F5 slipped past us both due to his top speed on the straights, holding us up in the infield section just enough to let Lutz build a few second lead. So it went for the next 5 laps, Lutz out front, Boyer and I beating on each other, and Perlman giving Walker fits as Foschi slowly gained on that battle. On lap 7 exiting devil's elbow onto the tunnel turn I saw some debris, paint chips and some fiberglass left from a vee that contacted the wall, what I didn't see was a piece of his broken suspension that I caught with my left rear tire, puncturing a huge 4" rip into the surface putting me out immediately. Luckily I knew what happened right away and made for the pits slowly, bummed about my misfortune. I think one of the reasons I didn't see the piece was due to my being glued to Boyer's gearbox coming off of that infield section.
    So it went, with Lutz taking the overall, and Perlman winning NCF.
    All in all a great day for racing. Looking forward to Lime Rock.
    JD
    Zink Z10

Thread Information