Liked: 10

Default Portland Regional - 1st outing in an Atlantic!

As some of you know I was searching last fall for an Atlantic to replace the FSCCA I was selling (I spent the two years prior to that in FC in a Swift DB3). I ended up buying Bob Barne's 1990 DB4 (out of southern california) with a loynings injected toyota, spare transmission (how ironic considering my previous car and a ton of spares. After spending the winter taking the car down to the tub and putting it back together again I finally hit the track last weekend at Portland running the test day on friday and the regional on saturday/sunday.

Here is a picture by Doug Berger of me going through the festical curves:
    http://www.photosport.net/gallery/SC..._4_05_0554.htm

Now I know some of you are laughing - Portland in April is almost guaranteed to be cold and raining (and it was but I didn't want my first time in the car to be at the May Regional/National, or worse, Rose Cup in June.

I thought I would start the first test session in the dry but it starting raining lightly as I was pulling out of the pits (yes, on slicks). My first lap was pretty uneventful (and very slow) but on the second lap coming out of the revised festival curves (as I hit the bottom of the power-band at 6500 rpm) on damp cold tires coming out of turn three (the left hand kink) I spun off into the infield. Hell of a way to start off in a new car! Fortunately the only damage was a bent left front wing endplate.

From then on it rained, and rained, and rained. I switched to an old set of rain tires and spent most of my time in second gear trying to go fast enough to stay in the powerband but slow enough to stay on the track. These cars are simply awesome! I haven't felt that kind of throttle response since my shifter kart days. I spent an hour and a half in the rain that day trying to break out of the low 1:40's.

Of the seven sessions on the track (over three days) I had only one dry session - the first qualifying session saturday afternoon. With only eleven laps of dry running I managed to get within 3.25 seconds of Arnie Loyning who was driving a Swift 008 dressed as a CSR. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with myself. I expected to be 1-2 seconds faster. BTW, the field was tiny - Race Group B had only seven entries. Two CSRs (Arnie in the Swift and another gentleman in a Radical), one atlantic (me), one S2 (Bob Scheib), one FM (Matt Kurdock), one DSR (Steven Berry), and one SS2 (Larry Bergman).

They combined the group B and group D (non-winged formula cars) for the race in the rain. Arnie was pole, me outside, and Matt in the FM on the inside second row. Matt had a good start and managed to squeak by Arnie going into turn one. Arnie got him back by the end of the first lap (I don't remember if it was on the back or front straight) and took off. The second CSR got around me without difficulty as I did the same to the FM (Matt seemed to be having as much trouble in the wet as I was). I spent most of the race fighting off Bob in the S2. He would pull up along side me coming out on the straights but didn't have enough power once I was pointed straight to get by. After several laps of this fun I pointed him by going into turn one not wanting to hold him up any longer. Was it Stan Clayton who said "Blasting down the straights and parking it in the corners does not an Atlantic pilot make"? For the rest of the race I concentrated on staying with Bob and managed to keep the gap at a constant three seconds (his fastest lap was 3/4 of a second quicker - Arnie was almost five seconds quicker than I was).

It was a good weekend. I spent 85% of track time in the rain and took the car home in one piece on its first weekend. I had only two spins the entire weekend (the first previously mentioned) and the second of which I didn't leave the track.

What did I learn?
    1) I made the right decision to sell the FSCCA and buy the DB4 (I'm not quite sure what to do with the DB3 - I can't look at it quite the way I used to). While not as outright fast as anything made in the last fifteen years or so it is what I can afford to race reliably. My personal philosophy is I would rather be at the back of FA than at the front of a slower class (or be the only competitor like I was in FC).
    2) Bring a big battery charger. A little 1 amp battery tender can't keep the battery up between sessions.
    3) I need to stop driving it like an FC. I can carry a *lot* more speed through the corners. I know I can.
    4) I have a lot to learn about racing in the rain in FA. My FC was *considerably* easier to drive at the limit in the rain - and much less nerve racking
    5) Atlantics make wonderful noises that can only be truly appreciated from the cockpit.

I want to publicly thank all the people who helped me get here (in alphabetical order): Jack Crone, Rennie Clayton, Doug Esterbrook, Bill Gillespie, Arnie Loyning, David Miller, Joe Stimola, and Bill Wilson. I plan on staying awhile.
    Tony Opheim
    '02 Swift 014.a (1600cc Toyota, 1732cc Toyota, and 2.0L MZR Mazda )

Liked: 0

Default 1st outing

Hey Tony - please give yourself some credit!! You were learning fast despite the dismal track conditions my friend, and I have never had so much fun in a race car as during our little dual in the rain! I really enjoy racing with you as I know you'll give me racing room no matter how close we're running. [Please just give me a wave as you go by in the dry though, OK?]
    Very cool car - heres wishing you the best of racing luck.

Liked: 309

Congrats Tony! Taking your Atlantic home in one piece is always a moral victory!

AFAIK, it was not me who made that statement, though it certainly reflects my opinion. As you learn to "trust the (down) force" you will drive the twisty bits as aggressively as the straights.

And don't be too hard on the DB-4. In the hands of a competent pilot it will give a Ralt all it wants. Just ask Rennie Clayton and Keith Lively. In 2002 John Hill brought Arne Loyning's DB-4 to Buttonwillow and proceded to spank those two guys - who later that year scored a 3-4 at the Runoffs.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 10

Hey, Bob! Have you dried out yet Thanks for the kind words, and I too had a lot of fun. I'll definitely wave next time by ... unfortunately since my season will end after Rose Cup it will be next year before we run together again.

Stan, I looked it up and it was you but I didn't get it word for word:

"Tip toeing through the corners and blasting down the straights does not an Atlantic pilot make." - Stan Clayton, March 22nd, 2004, Apexspeed FA forum

I took this statement to heart for this year. I spent last year in the FSCCA frustrated behind one particular Stohr DSR who "tip-toed" through the corners and blasted down the straights (4+ seconds a lap slower than Larry Vollum also in a Stohr DSR) and actually cut me off going into turn one several times. I swore if I was ever in the other guys shoes I would act different. I know we are amateurs but but I believe there is a certain lack of professionalism in holding up a faster car - particularly in another class.

And don't get me wrong - I love my DB4. The biggest reason I jumped "early" (rather than waiting a few years and buying a Ralt) and moved up to FA was because of John Hill's performances (he also beat Keith in Portland that same year) and others like Dave Wilcox. To be honest I probably would have been wasting my money on a Ralt. An additional $25K for 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap can be cheaper had - certainly more rewarding - by developing the driver in a DB4. I will be the limiting factor (not the car) for quite a while - if not forever. I'm no Rennie Clayton or John Hill
    Tony Opheim
    '02 Swift 014.a (1600cc Toyota, 1732cc Toyota, and 2.0L MZR Mazda )

Thread Information