Liked: 212

Default Race trailer Stolen

Race trailer stolen from yard in central NJ. Car was not in trailer, but many FC, 94/95 VD speific parts were. Wings, winglets, nose box, many AN nuts and bolts. Supper trap exhuast, many cleaning and oil products, etc

Trailer is a 2004, Homesteader, 16' x 7' enclosed trailer, beige/ pewter in color, similar to the GM pewter color,

E-track in floor, wood tire and gas racks, wood work bench at front, with shelf, many wood built-ins, blue fold upchairs, white fold up tables tables, white EZ tent

pics attatched

any info to

East Brunswick Police dept. 732-390-6900
    or myslef, cell 732-616-2639

thanks

Len Amato
    Last edited by LenFC11; 03.07.05 at 4:11 PM. Reason: put in more info
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 4

Did you have insurance?

This happened to me only 2 races after I bought a trailer. So I can feel for you.

Paul

Liked: 11

Keep checking Ebay for your stuff. Besides here, where else could you sell it??

Hate to think of a dumpster full of good VD parts.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Insurance was on the list of things to do. Didn't think it was that important until race season started as trailer was never being used, boy what a mistake that was!!!!

I will check ebay regularly, good idea. I don't think whoever took it considered it to be a race trailer. It had no markings as such, except for a small Ferrari badge upper front. I am a contractor, and trailer was stored at lumber yard, my feeling is they thought there may be tools in it, who knows...

I just don't understand how anyone can just help themselves to something that isn;t theirs.....
    Cheers
    Len

Liked: 238

Man that's rotten. I've often considered burying a receiver in the ground and using concrete to lock it into place. Then when I wasn't using the trailer, I'd lock it onto this secure receiver. Someone could still get around it, but maybe they'd forget about it if the effort to take the trailer was high. Maybe I'll do it now.

Sorry for your loss.

Jim
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 4

Default Trailer...

I was working on my car the other day and needed to get some hardware, which I had in large plastic boxes on my trailer. Went to open one of the boxes and found that it was empty. Spare rockers, upright, rotors, brake masters, a bunch of AN hardware, wiring, fluids, filters, spare electronics, small tools (including torque wrench, dwell meter, timiming light) etc. Don't even know what was in there. Not going to bother dealing with replacing stuff until I have the car done. It will be to distracting.

We live in a very safe heibghorhood, but had some construction going on at our house during this period. This is the 3rd theft during that process. One of them being a full set of high end patio furniture. Wife likes to joke that the crime rate is going up in direct proportion to the mobsters being sent away. It may be funny, but is true.

Len: Bummer to hear about your trailer. Like I said in my email, feel free to use my spare open trailer indefinalty. I need to free up the space and give the new grass seed underit a chance to grow. Only thing I need to take off it is the winch. Bring a steel Saw-Zall blade and we'll cut it right off, I think it is welded on. Give me a ring and I'll get you directions. We are exit 162 on GSP, so maybe a little less then an hour away from you. When you come up for the trailer, bring some heavy stuff to tie down on the back, it bounces and sways quite a bit when uloaded.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

[size=2]Just a bit more info. this trailer was locked, with 2 locks, one for the ball hitch, and the lock bar that goes were the pin is. By no means did I make it easy for them, and the police are absolutly no help. Seems like she is gone.[/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    [size=2]Thanks for the condolences from all.
    [/size]
    Cheers
    Len

Liked: 33

Default Trailer Coupler Locks

What style of trailer coupler lock was used. Many of the units I see are simple deterrents. The fact is that clamping lock bar can be unbolted from below and many 2" coupler units are bolted on. A patient thief can remove and replace the locked pieces over a couple days in the off season, and drive off the unit. All threaded coupler attachments should be welded. Another trick I saw is to string a chain through the tandem wheels, one chain/ lock for each side. I would place a warning flag on the coupler so the true owner doesn't forget over the off season.

Liked: 25

I have a nice coupler lock (Master? - with a lock that opens a hole for using an allen wrench to screw the big pin up into the coupler), but found that a hacksaw was very effective in trimming it for clearance! I don't think that chains through the wheels are much more than a nuisance for real thieves. I suppose that lots of graphics on a trailer can make it attractive by advertising the contents, though also making it easy to spot if taken. I just have truck-like "Chambers Engineering," city, state, and phone lettering on mine so that is identifiable, but the contents are not so clear. I have wondered whether putting a similar sign or a big, NASCAR-like number on the roof would help in finding stolen trailers.
    - Frank C

Liked: 1

Saw this link at another site http://www.trailer-alarms.com

-Dave

Liked: 3787

I always thought a deterent might be graphics to the effect of:

Purple Frog's Venomous Pit Viper Exhibition

Purple Frog's Septic Tank Cleaning Service

I've been told the best protection are the very good wheel clamps that cover all the hub and lug nuts. The expensive ones, not the cheap imitations. That's why I don't have them yet.

Default Suggestions

One of the links from the Trailer-Alarm site Dave posted has some more suggestions. I don't think we have to worry about fellow racers in SCCA, but the other ideas make sense.
    Kart Theft Trailer Security Suggestions
    - Frank C

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default Graphics

Don't forget to put graphics on the roof if you choose that route to make your trailer recognizeable.
    I seriously don't think that someone would have a plane looking for a stolen trailer, but you never know.

My idea was that thieves who might quickly remove or paint over graphics on the sides and change the serial number might not notice something in the middle of the roof for a while. Consequently it might provide a quick identification if someone was looking at a trailer that fit the general description. I think the hope for trailer recovery is pretty dim, though. I don't know where they go - I think someone here has mentioned lawn service guys as the big market.

It may be sort of like when I had a car ('68 SS396 Chevelle) stolen from an attended, gated university parking structure in Philadelphia back in 1970. A couple days later, I talked to the attendant and asked whether he had noticed anything suspicious. His response was, "Well, they take a lot of Chevies." It was found stripped a couple months later. I think there are a lot more trailer thefts than we realize.
    - Frank C

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

My Insurance Guy Tells Me That As Long As The Trailer Is Attached To The Tow Vehicle That It Is Covered By The Tow Vehicle Insurance. Are You Sure That Is Was Disconnected At The Time Of The Theft??

Liked: 30

Default House Insurance???

Len,
    Firstly sympathies on having your trailer nicked. I went through the same thing last year with a 16 ft Pace. Comes as a huge shock when you turn the corner expecting to see an 8x8 front of a trailer and there is nothing but air. They took the trailer, locks and even the blocks that the tongue was stood on!!

Anyway this may be of help. I had the trailer covered as an item in my auto insurance BUT the contents were all covered under my home insurance and not the auto.. even though it was stored in a facility away from my house. Hopefully you may at least be able to get the costs of any contents like tools or race parts back.... again I had a max of $1000 parts with payout no greater than $250 per single item.

It was suggested that I try visiting some of the lower cost versions of ours and associated sports as they had had some success in finding trailers there but the police basically said at least from Ontario they rarely managed to find them.

If I can be of any further help feel free to drop me an email.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C
    I suppose that lots of graphics on a trailer can make it attractive by advertising the contents, though also making it easy to spot if taken. I just have truck-like "Chambers Engineering," city, state, and phone lettering on mine so that is identifiable, but the contents are not so clear. - Frank C
    My trailer is plain off white and dirty and the paint is peeling. I guess that's a real deterent.
    One guy I know put a "CAUTION - RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL" sign on his trailer.

Jim
    Jim

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry
    One guy I know put a "CAUTION - RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL" sign on his trailer.
    Jim
    So now terrorists will steal it . . .

Dick (who has a single axle open trailer with runners that "hopefully" as no value to "lawn service guys, etc.")

Good one!
    Jim

Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R guibord
    My Insurance Guy Tells Me That As Long As The Trailer Is Attached To The Tow Vehicle That It Is Covered By The Tow Vehicle Insurance. Are You Sure That Is Was Disconnected At The Time Of The Theft??
    That coverage is for liability only. In other words, as you're tooling down the road with your trailer attached and you change lanes into somebody, the damage to their vehicle is covered. Or if your trailer comes disconnected from the towing unit, any damage it does to other persons or property is covered by the towing vehicles liability insurance. In no case that I know of is a trailer covered for physical damage (collision, theft, hail, falling sky, etc.) by the towing vehicle. I've been in the insurance business for over 25 years, by the way.

Brent is correct about homeowner's covering personal property outside of your home. There are usually pretty stiff limitations (10% of your household good coverage comes to mind). Also they may consider race car parts as "business" property which may have an even lower maximum, and the policy may exclude motorized vehicles and their parts. Basically you could recover some $ for your tools.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default DeWalt Security System

Go to Dewalt.com and check out the security tab. they have this new security system. It seems that DeWalt was losing market share because their tools were the most stolen brand from construction sites. Insurance being what it is, the settlement would only pay for new tools of a cheaper brand, so DeWalt developed this.

Talked to the company that developed it and made the tools for the housing. Basically it can jsut sit there and and motion of the system sets the alarm off and any movement picked up by the built in motion detector sets it off. I am told that it costs about $250.

About the only wat that you can apparently stop it is to run over it woith a buldozer and by that time it sould already have called your phone.

thanks to all who responded. some very good suggestions, and I will obviously look into them all. to date, nothing on trailer. it seems it is too easy for the thieves to just say it was homemade and they get a new title, and reg with no physincal inspection. so basicly, once they have it hooked, there is not much stopping them.

seems we all have no problem paying for this stuff, but the little bit extra it takes to keep it was just too much. i can tell you for sure, i am going with the insurance, wheel shackles, lettering, possably even LoJack next time around. everyday i think of more things that were stored in there, that will now need to be replaced.....speaking of that, whats the procedure to get a new log book?

thanks all, now go make sure your fully protected against these #*$#(@), #*$)@#)(*&, $@

len
    Cheers
    Len

Liked: 0

About 4 years ago, there was a trailer alarm in the Summit Racing catalog that engaged the trailer brakes when the alarm went off. Has anyone seen these before?
    Bill Hetzel

Liked: 605

considering how we use wood blocks, stands, and change tires all the time - in addition to locking the trailer in various way - it makes sense to also take all the tires off of one side of the trailer when storing the trailer - it would mean an extra 20 - 30 minutes when getting ready to transport but the trailer might be where you last left it - also if a thief is looking at your trailer and has to think about the extra time to put wheels and the right size lugs on it to steal it, that extra time means they'll look elsewhere to make their quick hit.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

After losing a 3 month old trailer( to someone who thought they needed it more than me!) I bought a Denver Boot like the cops use on parked cars. The trailer was insured but setteling with the insurance co. and getting a replacement (mine was made to order) was a big P.I.T.A. Sure they can remove anything if they are determined enough but with all the trailers in the RV yards around here they would probably just look for easier pickings. Biggist pain is retards who pry the doors open to find an almost empty trailer! As for graphics to discourage theft the best one I've seen is "Bates portable embalming service" But I would not want to be seen pulling up to the paddock with that on my trailer!

Liked: 29

Default Seat stolen also?

Len,
    I hope the VD seat I bought from you was not in the trailer also, did you ever get it shipped out?
    I had a brand new custom built trailer stolen last year and even though I'd never used it the insurance company depreciated it $800 (I'd had it 3 or 4 months during the off season).
    Mike M.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Default Trailer brake alarm

This looks spendy, but interesting... anyone tried it?

http://www.protecsystemone.com/

If I took all the investment in the trailer and contents and divided by the price, it starts looking like a good deal.

tim

mike & rich, seats were not in trailer, sent email, should ship out tomarrow.

one of the ways i think they may have got trailer out is on flat bed or something similar, as there was no evidence of them removing either of the two locks. most of these security measures won't help against that. I like the idea of the brakes being applied, but don't think "an audible alarm" will do much good. no one responds to those type car alarms around here with the frequency they get set off. I think I will definitely store with out wheels on one side. I have seen this done, and thought it to be overkill, but have recently reconsidered this

frog, do you have any info on the wheel shackles you speak of? they maybe expensive, but a replacement trailer is worse.
    Cheers
    Len

Check out https://secure.brownrice.com/tireloc...bc9608a48df123
    It's a locking boot for $125 plus shipping.
    Last edited by Jim Garry; 09.12.11 at 7:04 PM.
    Jim

Liked: 18

EDIT: No retail posts please. Please see Business & Retail Classifieds
    Last edited by Keith Carter; 04.13.05 at 12:13 AM.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

Thread Information