Liked: 0

Default SCCA Hill Climbs!!! Cool Video :)

Page 12 of the new SportsCar has a nice looking open wheel car. I think hmm... maybe I will actually read this article instead of just skimming it.

So it looks like the good old SCCA will be adding hill climbs to the new TT program. So do you think they will have classes for full out open wheel cars?

I think this would be an absolute blast, not to mention scary as all hell.

Yeah Yeah I know the video it's the only reason you clicked.

The video has a mix of cool cars, the F3000 @ Mt Ventoux is at 4:14

http://www.videoconcept.com/Clips/cam4.wmv So who's up for some hill climbs?

Liked: 11

Wow. Don't want to make any mistakes during that climb. The F3000s are going faster than it seems possible.

Cool video.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 713

If it's hill climb vids you're looking for, you ain't seen nothin' until you've seen Climb Dance:
    http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/i...imb-dance.html

Yes, it's 66mb, but well worth it. For short films, I think it's better than "Rendezvous" (which is also a must-see.) http://www.spiritlevelfilm.com/homepage.html
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 13

Default SCCA Hillclimbs

Eric,

The SCCA has been doing hillclimbs for years thru the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association. Please try www.pahillclimb.org for more info. and yes, we do have plenty of open wheel classes including a catch all group of classes called Specials.
    Open wheel classes include Formula Atlantic, Continential, Ford, Club Ford, Vee, 500, Solo Vee, Vintage 3, Historic 3, Special 1( up to 1650cc), Special 2(1651cc to 3000cc) and Special 3 (above 3000cc). Our fastest car right now is a 72 Gurney Eagle with a 350ci Chevy engine.

Rich

Climb Dance has some awesome film work. Thanks Mike.

Rich thanks so much for the link. Lots of good info!! Do you know of any NE region hill climbs off hand? PA is not too far. I may see if I can fit one in this year.

How much do they cost?

How many runs do you usually get?

Thanks

Just found NEhillclimb. www.hillclimb.org

Looks like they have classes for open wheel cars just like the PA group. http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/...es/05class.pdf

I always knew about hill climbs, with Mt. Washington being one of the big ones but never thought they did it with open wheel cars. Until I saw that video.

Thanks again Rich!

Liked: 13

Default Hillclimbs

Eric,

The PHA events are all sanctioned by the SCCA and usually cost around $125 per event. Entry fee usually includes 1 ticket for Saturday night's dinner/party,extra tickets are usually $10. We usually get 8-10 runs a weekend at a typical hill with a couple of touring runs on Saturday. Since, you would be a novice(a novice is anyone who hasn't driven the hill at speed, we do not care if, your name is Mario Andretti); you will be required to go to the novice driver's meeting, after which we will take you up the hill and show you the pitfalls of the hill so, you do not wrap your formula car around a tree. The rest of Saturday morning is touring runs with timed runs in the afternoon, Sunday has timed runs all day.
    We currently have 6 hillclimbs and 2 track events, are most popular events are Giants Despair and Duryea, we usually have near 100 cars at these events. Giants is just outside of Wilkes-Barre, PA(I-81), this year is the 99th running of the event and usually has 10,000 spectators per weekend(yes, a SCCA event with spectators), appox. 1 mile in length. Legendary drivers like Carrol Shelby, Barney Oldfield, Ralph DePalma, and Roger Penske have driven at Giants. Duryea is 50+yrs old and is the longest hill that we have at 2.3 miles and is located in the City Park of Reading, PA. Duryea is also the fastest with one appox. 1/2 mile straight before the Chinese Pagoda and one appox. 7/8 mile straight before the finish line near the fire tower, also used as a test track for the Duryea automobile. Speeds near the fire tower are 150 mph+ for a Formula Atlantic, and this on a local road that the public uses 363 days a year!
    I have rambled on long enough, I hope you can make it to an event. I usually drive the aluminum bodied(no paint, just aluminum) #5 Womer Fvee.

Rich

Sounds like these events are really fun. I'm definitely going to do at least one hill climb this year.

Thanks for all the info Rich.

Liked: 1

Default Blueridge and Snowshoe Hillclimbs

Here are a couple of southeastern region hillclimbs: www.blueridgehillclimb.com www.snowshoehillclimb.com

Anyone in the Northwest should check out the legendary Knox Mountain Hillclimb in Kelowna Canada.
    http://www.knoxmtnhillclimb.ca/index.htm

Thread Information