Liked: 123

Default tire rack construction question

I'm about to order some material to fab up a few tire racks for my trailer and had a dimension question. I'm looking at 5 foot long sections to carry Atlantic tires, I was thinking 1.25" diameter 16ga. wall 6061-T6 material for the cross bars that the tires sit on. Will this be strong enough or will it turn into a banana?

Thanks, Brian

Liked: 0

I made a tire rack for my old trailer using 1" rigid alum conduit - available at any industrial electric supply house. The pipe was relatively cheap - under $1 / foot (don't recall exactly). Made a very strong tire rack. It was 8' long with a support at the middle. Used alum Speedline fittings - the type used for railings - to make it simple to fab. The fittings were a bit pricy so wouldn't do that part again. Also used the same conduit to make a trailer canopy. Also very strong - you coud do chin-ups on it if so inclined.

The conduit is 1.315" OD with approx 1/8" wall and is 6005 alloy which has less than half the yield strength of 6061-T6. I would believe that 16 ga 6061-T6 (approx 0.065 wall) would be adequate.

Liked: 31

Brian,
    The tyre rack that I have is made of wood. It is built like a shelf & holds 8 FC tyres across the front as well as having room in between for socket set, 2 drills and a battery.
    If you want to take a look at any time it is stored just down the 400 from you & I can meet you at the site.
    Brent

Thread Information