Liked: 1

Default Pinto-to-Kent, internal parts

I've got a bone stock Pinto motor that I would like to convert to Kent specs for a F/F project. With regard to internals, I know the cam and pistons must be replaced. Are there any other major internal parts that must be replaced to get to Kent specs for F/F? Connecting rods? Crank? Other?

Rob S.
    Nederland, TX

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

To the best of my knowledge it's not possible.

It's not just about displacement. Different designs (OHC vs in-block cam), etc.

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by r33rob View Post
    I've got a bone stock Pinto motor that I would like to convert to Kent specs for a F/F project. With regard to internals, I know the cam and pistons must be replaced. Are there any other major internal parts that must be replaced to get to Kent specs for F/F? Connecting rods? Crank? Other?

Rob S.
    Nederland, TX
    To clarify which engine you have - This forum uses Pinto to refer to the 2.0L OHC German Ford motor. The Kent is the overhead valve English built 1600CC crossflow engine used in the base Ford Pinto in 1970-72. Do you have the belt driven OHC 2.0L or the pushrod 1600 to start with?

Other than the motors will bolt up to the same motor mounts in a Pinto or Capri, they are different critters.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

The Pinto and the Kent will bolt to the same bell housing And maybe the side engine mounts are in the same place. After that there is no interchangeability.

I have the 1.6L OHV valve motor, from an early Pinto. Similar to the Kent, but low compression and low HP. Econobox version.

.... Rob S.

Liked: 3787

My guess is that no one on this forum will know the answer. You will need to contact an old-timer such as Rollin Butler, or Sandy at Quicksilver. It might be a Kent, A block casting number would tell a knowledgible person. To make it a race engine with dry sump, is a long and expensive process. Even for a do-it-yourselfer.

Liked: 113

The only component from the 1.6 l found in the Pinto in 71 and 72 which is common with the uprated kent used in FF is the block which should have a 711M casting number and the crank. May be the connecting rods. The cylinder head which was used in the FF was only sold in the US in industrial engines sold through Ford Power Products. The cylinder head used on the Pinto had a different design because of compression / emissions requirements for the US market.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by r33rob View Post
    I have the 1.6L OHV valve motor, from an early Pinto. Similar to the Kent, but low compression and low HP. Econobox version.

.... Rob S.
    The two most likely engines that would come from a 1600 Pinto would be a block number that's cast in the skirt of the block on the left side rear near the motor mount boss.

2737E 6015
    which was used in the later Cortinas and earliest Pintos. The US engines had a feeble cam for emissions purposes. The main caps were round and not very strong. It also had the small lifter bores.

Or:
    711M 6015 which is the engine block you want. These were sold as service engines through the parts network. The heads came from the industrial division and were never installed in road cars. This is the "uprated" engine.

The rods, cranks, front and rear covers, fuel pump, water pump, valve rocker shaft assembly and distributor could be used. A GT spec cam is required.

I built several engines using parts harvested from junkyard engines and people selling here. The hard part is finding a block that is not rotted away around the head gasket and still has enough deck height to be legal. Then, finding a legal and usable head. I have several crates of good engine parts available that I would be glad to sell to someone(cheap) who is building his own engine.

Best thing to help you build your engine is the Jake Lamont book "How to Build and Maintain Competitive FF1600 Engines"
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Turns out the block casting is 831C 6015 R34, which is a Ford Motorsport block. That makes me doubt that this is a bone stock Pinto 1.6L motor. Anyway, the comments have been very useful. If the cam is F/F spec, then a standard F/F rebuild is all I should need.

Rob S.
    Nederland, TX

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

That number identifies it as a South African casting, thick wall, known as the 'service block'. It's a stronger block than the usual 711M and is also referred to as 'AX' because some also had those letters cast in as well as the number.

Thread Information