Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default Fuel Pressure drop at high RPM(Honda Fit)

Has anyone had a problem with there Honda Fit dropping fuel pressure at high RPM? we have changed fuel pump, filter, injectors, engine harness and still having the problem. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Sean

Liked: 183

fuel pressure sensor?

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Fuel PSI

PM sent
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 804

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but does the electric pump even know or care what engine rpm is?
    Short of a massive over-demand by the injectors, which would be obvious via bad engine response, what could starve the fuel rail and result in a low P reading?

Or, is the engine+car demanding so much electric power at high rpm from a weak battery for some reason that the electric pump is an innocent victim and cant maintain pressure?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Is the engine power dropping off with the fuel pressure? If not, it may be a bad fuel pressure sensor.

My Honda fuel pump was fine when it was cold, then would intermittently starting having pressure dropouts near the end of the sessions, with a noticeable corresponding drop in performance.

Default Fuel Pressure drop

Hi John
    That is exactly what is happening, It starts out fine when its cold, but by the end of the session or day it starts having issues. The only problem is we have changed the fuel pump already along with the in tank filter and still having a problem. We are going to change the in tank regulator and try this again. thanks for all the advice.

Sean

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

If you are logging battery voltage, check to see if your battery voltage is stable during the fuel pressure drops.

Do you have a switch on the dash to manually turn the fuel pump on and off? Could the problem be an intermittent internal issue with the switch, or the switch wires?

Liked: 286

Is the fuel cell venting properly?
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Is the fuel cell venting properly?
    That was one of my thoughts.
    You are not giving values which makes it more difficult to help. Does it fall from 45 to 38 or 10 psi?

Considering "in tank" issues, if you are losing pressure over time, then you are either sucking air because you have an issue with the internal hoses (which become exposed as fuel drops) or overheating something. Externally, I would take the regulator apart and look for broken parts or debris.

What happens when you boost the pressure?

When I was trying to use an external pump, the return needed to be specifically located so as not to dump air back near the pickup. I would have this same symptoms. The internal pump should not have this issue.

It is a pretty basic system, so if you maintain voltage, and have changed the pump, then it only can be the regulator, internal lines, or the vent.

Good luck!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Fuel pressure drop

Car will be running fine, but later on in the day as it gets hotter is when the pressure would go from like 48PSI down to below 30PSI above 6000RPM for a brief second then go back up to 48 PSI.tried downloading screenshot. Hope everyone can see this.
    Last edited by Skelly; 06.03.23 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add more pictures

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Fuel PSI drop

I had multiple in tank HPD regulators give me trouble over the years - not sure why but I suspect sitting dry hurts them as they run many miles with modern fuel in street applications. I converted all of my Honda FF to external Aeromotive regulators and have not had a problem since but if I do I can diagnose and fix much easier. Good luck and thanks for sharing what you learn.

Jay
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

All the high RPM problems I've had have either been coils going bad or wiring issues.

Bad fuel pumps usually don't affect the pressure. The flow decreases and you have a lean running condition (light gray or white tailpipe). Bad regulators usually have low pressure all the time. Clogged fuel filters may or may not show up on the pressure sensor depending on where the sensor is in relation to the filter, and the "tailpipe test" works for them too. If you're only running the "sock filter" on the pump you really should run an external one as well.

I wasted a whole weekend chasing a high RPM miss that turned out to be a relay that rattled loose and was shutting off the ignition.

Another time we thought we had a fuel pickup problem (it only lost pressure in turns), which actually turned out to be a loose ground wire the driver's leg kept leaning into.

Check all the connection points for the fuel pump, plus any areas where the wiring might be making contact. You could have an intermittent short or broken contact issue.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have extremely high under-hood temperatures or badly-routed fuel lines / external filters you might be having some sort of "vapor lock" issue.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 0

Default Fuel Pressure Drop

My Mygale F2000 used to do this, and it turned out that the fitting on bottom of the fuel pump was sucking in the the bottom of the fuel cell, then releasing, then again, etc. Easy fix was to remove fitting and mill two small slots across it so some fuel could be sucked in from the side and this stopped the problem.

Hope this helps,
    Francis

Thread Information