Liked: 15

For Sale 1970 WinkelmannWDF2 - w/trailer

Sold. Thank you ApexSpeed

I acquired the car in the spring of 2022 and contracted with Motor Sports Engineering of Portland, OR to upgrade and prepare the car to race ready condition. I raced a double regional at Portland International Raceway in September, 2022. Health issues are the reason for the sale.

The car has an added front roll hoop and forward roll bar braces. The car is fitted with a new aluminum radiator, Bilstein shocks and a quick release steering wheel.

The engine rebuild was completed by Ivey Engines in May, 2022. There are only two hours on the build. The build included a new Scat crank CP pistons and a prepped Ivey carb that is fitted with a Pipercross air cleaner. A new Quartermaster clutch and disc were installed. The stainless steel Hi Tech exhaust has an Ivey sourced low restriction muffler. The engine has aTilton Super Torque starter. Dyno sheets and engine build invoice are available.

Some of the work completed by Motor Sports Engineering includes:

• New fire system installed
    • New Pyrotect belts
    • New Odyssey steel jacket AGM battery
    • New sump tank and brackets
    • New oil cooler
    • New oil and coolant hoses
    • New brake and clutch master cylinders and new clutch slave cylinder
    • Rebuilt calipers
    • New donuts
    • Alignment. Alignment specification are available

Included with the car are:

• Two sets of Panasport wheels mounted with two race old Avon’s*
    • One set of aluminum American wheels (perfect for rain tires)
    • One set of unmounted two race old Avon’s*
    • Quick jack
    • Car stands
    • Mylaps TR2 transponder and charger. Subscription expires in September 2024
    • Jump battery
    • Two extra gear sets & two dog rings
    • Spare new Girling 0.750 Master Cylinder
    • Four 5 gallon fuel cans including one full can of AV100 fuel
    • Original radiator
    • Tilton Super Torque Starter (minus mounting flange)
    • Four car dollies
    • Engine transport stand
    • Carb jets
    • The usual miscellaneous small spares, fluids etc.

* Avon tires were sourced from a local race shop that preps, maintains and provides track side maintenance for vintage Formula Ford racers who frequently replace their tires.

Additional information:

Log books are from 1998 to 2022.

The chassis plate shows the car as a WDF3-20. Cross reference to the Winkelmann/Palliser Registry, shows a WDF-2/20 sold in the Pacific Northwest and subsequently owned and raced by a driver who is noted as the driver in numerous log book entries. It appears the chassis plate was incorrectly stamped. Additional comparison of photos of WDF 2’s and WDF3’s and a consultation with a local Winklemann SME confirm that the chassis is a WDF-2.

For the second of my races in September, a mixed grid of open and close wheeled cars, a sedan came in contact with my left front tire and caused some damage to the A-Arm. There is a notation in the log book. The A-Arm was replaced and the frame inspected and confirmed there was no damage. The car was subsequently realigned.

The trailer is an open single axle. The trailer has new tires, was recently painted and rewired with LED lights and has a recent bearing repack.

The Winklemann isn’t concours, but is straight, well fitted and can be developed into a competitive racer,

Price for the race car and trailer is $21,750. Race car only price is $20,500
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CTR28; 07.12.23 at 1:14 PM. Reason: Race car has been sold.
    Cheap Thrills Racing

"All right you sons-a-bitches, let's have a race." - Smokey Yunick

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Nice car!!!1

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 14

Hi CTR28,
    Agree, very nice car. Sadly, it's too far away for me to consider and the stable is full at the moment.

However I have a favour to ask.

I have a WDF-4 I'm restoring, however it's been poorly modified by a previous owner to a side-mounted radiator setup.
    So I have been chasing dimensions of the front mounted radiator (L x W x H) and the location with respect to the front bulkhead, as I have to refabricate all the mounting arrangements e.g. distance from the radiator (top front) to the bulkhead, and similarly, from the bottom front of the radiator back to the bulkhead.

If the car is handy to you, it would really help a fellow racer from down under.

Good luck with the sale.
    Cheers
    Vne

Default Winklemann WDF 4 Restore

I'd be happy to assist. Send me a PM with what you are looking for and your contact information and I'll collect the information and provides some pictures.

~ Cheers
    Cheap Thrills Racing

Liked: 353

The plate identifies it as a WDF3, which had trailing arm front suspension, but this is clearly a WDF2 with front A-arms.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Default Winklemann WDF-2

Understood. Thank you.
    Cheap Thrills Racing

Thread Information