Liked: 0

Default Gear type for Hewland Mk6

I've seen a lot of discussion about the difference between the Hewland Mk5 gears and Mk9 gears - am I correct in assuming that Mk5 through Mk8 use Mk5 gears? My Lotus 61 project has a Mk6 and I want to make sure I'm sourcing the correct gear sets for it.

Are there Webster gears that are compatible?

Thanks!

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Mk6

If I remember correctly the Mk5 takes Mk5 gears.but they can go in later boxes too. Supervees used them I think. The mark 6's that I have seen were mk8/9 gears and also a couple that were 6 speed with no reverse for DSR type applications
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Creighton View Post
    If I remember correctly the Mk5 takes Mk5 gears.but they can go in later boxes too. Supervees used them I think. The mark 6's that I have seen were mk8/9 gears and also a couple that were 6 speed with no reverse for DSR type applications
    Phil
    Ahh Interesting, so Mk5 gears can go into any box, but Mk8/9 gears can't go into a Mk5 box?

Liked: 40

Hi, the Mk 5 gears are 1 1/8" layshaft and typically have a 5 stamped on them, well all the Hewland ones I've seen have this but not sure of the Webster and Staffs variants. These will spin on a 1" layshaft giving no drive a making a damaging noise. They need the 1 1/8" layshaft and typically found in 5 speed F3 G/boxs.

Typical Mk 8/9 gears that are fitted to FF1600/2000 are 1" layshaft. I suspect these are they type fitted to your Mk6 G/box, but things get swapped about over years it would be best to measure the OD of the layshaft as this can be swopped over.

Hewland manufactured so many variants of components for these gearboxes for many different applications, hence the use of the word typical.

Webster and Staffs also made 1" Mk8 gears. There are lots of variants of these gears as tooth patten and materials changed over the 20/30 years of production. The later Hewland gears with a M stamped on them are the stronger 1" variant.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kevskisps View Post
    Hi, the Mk 5 gears are 1 1/8" layshaft and typically have a 5 stamped on them, well all the Hewland ones I've seen have this but not sure of the Webster and Staffs variants. These will spin on a 1" layshaft giving no drive a making a damaging noise. They need the 1 1/8" layshaft and typically found in 5 speed F3 G/boxs.

Typical Mk 8/9 gears that are fitted to FF1600/2000 are 1" layshaft. I suspect these are they type fitted to your Mk6 G/box, but things get swapped about over years it would be best to measure the OD of the layshaft as this can be swopped over.

Hewland manufactured so many variants of components for these gearboxes for many different applications, hence the use of the word typical.

Webster and Staffs also made 1" Mk8 gears. There are lots of variants of these gears as tooth patten and materials changed over the 20/30 years of production. The later Hewland gears with a M stamped on them are the stronger 1" variant.
    Thanks for this detailed explanation! I have a 1" spline OD on the layshaft so it would seem that I do indeed have Mk8/9 gears. My current gears do not have any letters stamped on them

Thread Information