Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Formula ford Hubs/ spindles

I broke one of the rear spindle hubs on a 1972 Hawke DL9.
    Haven't had any success in locating one. I don't think Hawke would have made a special piece. Can anyone identify the car these
    would have originally been made for

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    Chevron B23
    Brabham BT29
    Ralt RT4
    March 761

Liked: 324

I’m sure that is custom made and not from a street vehicle. My old Royale had a similar component. Does seem strange that each manufacturer back then had their own parts and didn’t pool their designs to manage costs and supply

I would add a much larger radius at the flange if remade
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 955

Possible from a Hillman Imp? Splines look familiar.

Try Universal Racing Services in the UK. http://www.universalracing.co.uk/ parts@universalracing.co.uk

Otherwise, possibly Fast Forward Components in Sand City, CA. https://www.fastforwardracingcomponents.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 146

They look similar to those on my DL11. If so, they are a one off. Similar to Imp, but not so.

Your only option is to have one made. With modern equipment, its not really a big deal. I’ve had to replace the universal yokes which are equally not available, and it cost me about 250 AUD for each one. Cutting internal splines is not cheap.

At the end of the day, its just a lump of metal turned down a lot, a couple of precision ground bearing mounts, four studs, and a couple of splines. I’d give some consideration to removing the thread and nut, and replacing it with a bolt. Overall, its a pretty crap design, as it’s very hard to get the right clearance between the bearings to get proper pre-load. Too much, its loose and frets the bearing surface, too little, overheats the bearings. Any good machine shop should be able to make one without too much trouble.

Liked: 313

Please post what you wind up doing as I think this may be a common issue with our older cars. My Royale has a similar part and I may need to have some made some day.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information