Liked: 20

Default ARRC Road Atlanta November 5th

Since I haven't been around much in the last 20 years, I'm curious, why has this event become so avoided? We've got 2 FCs lined up for the weekend. Is there another event that is drawing people away? Has everyone started ground-ups for the winter already? Kinda sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to be able to get on the track after a very difficult year, and I sure do love Road Atlanta. It's also nice to know that 2nd is the worst place I'll finish as well. It just seems like other people would take the opportunity to enjoy "the best bang for the buck" in racing.

Honest question... why have more people not registered?

Richard

Liked: 555

A guess - There was a first lap crash at the SIC race at Roebling last weekend, might have damaged an FC or two.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 89

Speaking for myself, racing with FE2 cars isn't fun.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    A guess - There was a first lap crash at the SIC race at Roebling last weekend, might have damaged an FC or two.
    That makes sense. There were 3, now there are 2, so very good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Agamble5 View Post
    Speaking for myself, racing with FE2 cars isn't fun.
    I can certainly understand that. They can certainly cause problems. I had 3 of them spin in front of me last year and 1 dive bomb into 6 that I had to avoid.

I guess SCCA killed FC with FEs...

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

If someone on the east coast wants to race FC, there have been more than a dozen FRP and SCCA events with a half-dozen or more FC cars, including the Runoffs. If you want to race against other FC cars in competitive events, you had plenty of opportunities. Why sit on the sidelines, and let everyone spend their resources supporting the class, then complain that no one is showing up to the last race of the season? Sorry to be blunt, but I think the answer to the question is pretty obvious.

You will have a SuperTour and FRP event at Road Atlanta next March. Hope to see you there!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 78

I just signed up after confirming my car will be race ready.

Unfortunately I had a great start in the SIC, and passed an FS car and an FE2 car through T1 to T2. The three remaining FE2 cars got jammed up trying to go through T4 side by side, and I had to brake hard into T4 to avoid running into the back of them. We think someone slightly tagged me from behind causing a spin, but not sure what really happened.

Unfortunately that incident apparently took out all the FC cars except the last place car, which then cruised to victory.

The Penguin car had one corner damaged, which was the final straw for that driver to buy an FE2 car. So he'll be at the ARRC in another class. Not sure about the other guys.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

Crazy. It was always my favorite race of the year. Great track. Lots of speed. Grass on both sides. Did I mention great track?
    And the Atlanta Region always did a great job of hosting the event.
    Weather is so "English" like a good formula car race should be. Who wants 95 degree race days?
    Won there in CFC three times, and lost a few times to great guys.
    Obviously I'm a proponent of the event.

Maybe a split start? Don't like them, but cleans up T1 on the first lap. The guys in the second group can drive by the FE carnage and wave.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    I just signed up after confirming my car will be race ready.

Unfortunately I had a great start in the SIC, and passed an FS car and an FE2 car through T1 to T2. The three remaining FE2 cars got jammed up trying to go through T4 side by side, and I had to brake hard into T4 to avoid running into the back of them. We think someone slightly tagged me from behind causing a spin, but not sure what really happened.

Unfortunately that incident apparently took out all the FC cars except the last place car, which then cruised to victory.

The Penguin car had one corner damaged, which was the final straw for that driver to buy an FE2 car. So he'll be at the ARRC in another class. Not sure about the other guys.
    There's a good combo answer proving the first two, FE2s taking out FCs last weekend. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate great start, but thrilled to get to run with you next weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Crazy. It was always my favorite race of the year. Great track. Lots of speed. Grass on both sides. Did I mention great track?
    And the Atlanta Region always did a great job of hosting the event.
    Weather is so "English" like a good formula car race should be. Who wants 95 degree race days?
    Won there in CFC three times, and lost a few times to great guys.
    Obviously I'm a proponent of the event.

Maybe a split start? Don't like them, but cleans up T1 on the first lap. The guys in the second group can drive by the FE carnage and wave.
    Glad you chimed in PF! It used to be a premier event back in my day of racing and meant something to win it. The competition was fierce back then. I certainly wish you were out there with us, Mike! Forecast looks to be much better than last year too, little less "English."

P1, FX, FS, FE2s and then P2 and FC in 2nd split? I'll be happy to try and push for that if you think that's a reasonable request. It is such a shame that this event is seen as a throw away judging by registration numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Roadracing7 View Post
    <snip>
    P1, FX, FS, FE2s and then P2 and FC in 2nd split?
    FYI, I'm currently the only registered FX car (a Club Formula Mazda), and I expect to qualify near the back. I also plan to to give FC's and everyone a wide berth. No reason to screw up other classes (like the lone FS (Swift 016?) last weekend at Roebling!!)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Glad you chimed in PF! It used to be a premier event back in my day of racing and meant something to win it. The competition was fierce back then. I certainly wish you were out there with us, Mike! Forecast looks to be much better than last year too, little less "English."

P1, FX, FS, FE2s and then P2 and FC in 2nd split? I'll be happy to try and push for that if you think that's a reasonable request. It is such a shame that this event is seen as a throw away judging by registration numbers...
    Sounds good to me - the registrations look like this event is turning into P1- Palooza.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

FYI, I'm currently the only registered FX car (a Club Formula Mazda), and I expect to qualify near the back. I also plan to to give FC's and everyone a wide berth. No reason to screw up other classes (like the lone FS (Swift 016?) last weekend at Roebling!!)
    I just assumed Russ, sorry about that. I have a love/hate driving those Mazdas , but agree we would rather have you with us if we can get a split start. Is that something to start campaigning for now? I can make a few calls and emails.

Looking forward to seeing you again, Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    Sounds good to me - the registrations look like this event is turning into P1- Palooza.
    Yeah, no kidding! I've never had much issue with them, they know to Just blow past down the straights.

I just assumed Russ, sorry about that. I have a love/hate driving those Mazdas , but agree we would rather have you with us if we can get a split start. Is that something to start campaigning for now? I can make a few calls and emails.

Looking forward to seeing you again, Russ!
    Personally, I don’t have a preference.

Thanks, will be good to see you, too. Last time you were in a black and yellow Swift (DB3?), right?

Personally, I don’t have a preference.

Thanks, will be good to see you, too. Last time you were in a black and yellow Swift (DB3?), right?
    Yes sir, that's what I ran back in the day! Bought the RF-01 last May before we knew we were having twins. Managed to get the car 'ready' and got 6 races in last year, including ARRC. I was the lone FC at Gobblins Go last year as well, but I guess there are different reasons for that with schedule changes or something...

Congrats to Paul Douglas! He ran a very consistent weekend, pulled away in the race, and was able to build a lead big enough to hold on without 3rd gear in the final 2 laps. Really enjoyed hanging out and talking with Jack, Paul, Marc, and Judith!!

Certainly learned a lot (self-deprecating honesty):
    • Don't run -3.2 front / -2.4 rear camber on bias tires, those setup notes were for old radials
    • Charge the battery between sessions (missed Friday's race, died on the grid)
    • Shocks should be run with hydraulic oil in them (Send all 4 off for rebuild, not just 1)
    • A 10 year old engine is definitely down on power
    • Seat time = confidence
    • When the door is open for a clean pass, TAKE IT!!!! (twice... "Post-Goose Maverick Syndrome")
    • Missed shifts are costly
    • Just because you reserve a room, check in, and pay, doesn't mean they won't bag up your belongings while you're at the track and move another guest into your room and kick you out on your ass. (Long, surreal story I may elaborate on later... Thanks Russ McBride for being a reliable witness!)

I'll be trying to make the March races at Road Atlanta assuming our daughter doesn't have her experimental open-heart surgery then.

PS - HUGE thank you to Andy Brumbaugh! Is the battery charged yet?? LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Hey Richard - it was great fun, even though we obviously didn't have enough competitors in our class to fill up a podium.

I am hopeful we'll get some more guys out in the spring - look forward to seeing you then, and best wishes for your daughter.

Cheers!

Congrats to Paul Douglas! He ran a very consistent weekend, pulled away in the race, and was able to build a lead big enough to hold on without 3rd gear in the final 2 laps. Really enjoyed hanging out and talking with Jack, Paul, Marc, and Judith!!

Certainly learned a lot (self-deprecating honesty):
    • Don't run -3.2 front / -2.4 rear camber on bias tires, those setup notes were for old radials
    • Charge the battery between sessions (missed Friday's race, died on the grid)
    • Shocks should be run with hydraulic oil in them (Send all 4 off for rebuild, not just 1)
    • A 10 year old engine is definitely down on power
    • Seat time = confidence
    • When the door is open for a clean pass, TAKE IT!!!! (twice... "Post-Goose Maverick Syndrome")
    • Missed shifts are costly
    • Just because you reserve a room, check in, and pay, doesn't mean they won't bag up your belongings while you're at the track and move another guest into your room and kick you out on your ass. (Long, surreal story I may elaborate on later... Thanks Russ McBride for being a reliable witness!)

I'll be trying to make the March races at Road Atlanta assuming our daughter doesn't have her experimental open-heart surgery then.

PS - HUGE thank you to Andy Brumbaugh! Is the battery charged yet?? LOL

Thread Information