Liked: 15

Default New Track? Maybe RunOffs Location? (Eventually)

Gabe Fehribach - Driver: Plum Crazy #9 Formula Enterprises 2
    Mechanical Designer, Race Fan
    Some race videos: https://www.youtube.com/@clockwiseautosport

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

this has been big talk for last couple years and location has been moved around that area a bit but seems more hopeful that it is finally going to move forward with groundbreaking. the future looks bright.

Liked: 852

According to Google Earth (search for Flatrock Motorclub), this place is more like EIGHTY MILES west of Knoxville, instead of ~30. Maybe Google is wrong.. maybe their odometer is BROKEN ...MAYBE, they changed their minds about the location after Google implanted it?
    I can see why the comment about needing more of their own infrastructure before 'branching out' to the big leagues. Looks like Rockwood is the closest area of measurable population.

Still.. it's relatively close to me and am looking forward to living long enough to maybe get to run there .. if I can afford it. Seems like they are copying the Ozarks blueprint. Also would like to try that one, but its more than twice as far away from me.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

5. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 65

Steve,
    You might want to calibrate your Google. From downtown Knoxville it is 51.4 miles via I40. From the farthest West point of Knoxville City limits, Total Wine in Turkey Creek Shopping Center, it is 37 miles. I-40 Exit 373 Knoxville to Exit 338 for the track is 35 miles.

It also is 3 miles from the Eastern to Central time zone line. I can leave my house at 7 am and doing the speed limit be there 10 minutes early for a 7am check in. Will have to see if cell phone settles on East or Central time at the site.

They have been moving dirt there for a while but just recently had the official ceremony. Kind of like a retail store that's been open 8 months having a Grand Opening party.

There also has been some recent discussion in the East TN Region SCCA about who needs to be talked to about road racing event details, as in what does the region need to do to make it happen? ETR has primarily been an Autocross region & is familiar with what it takes to put those on. ETR loaned the region for a road race sanction years ago is about all the region has done for road racing other than folks racing or corner working.

So yes, things are moving forward.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 852

Thanks for the correction, Ted. I was just eyeballing it looking from the center of Knoxville - at least I did have the correct location for the track.

I just looked at the travel route to the Ozarks track - man, THAT place is in the middle of NOWHERE . I guess if HWY 60 is mostly free of traffic signals it might not be that bad a trip.. but it sure is a LOT further from me than Flatrock.

Anyway.. keep us advised when the actual track work starts. I'm guessing from the name, that there won't be very much elevation change on the track...
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 3787

I read 127' of elevation change. They are stirring up dirt in a big way. It might be a while before they have enough parking for an event like the Runoffs.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 66

Tracks have to be out in the boonies these days because otherwise they'll get shut down by neighbors complaining about the noise. Just be happy if there's enough hotels and a restaurant or two within 20 minutes of the location.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information