Liked: 79

Default LD 200 Shift Assist System

We have all done it, and when it happens, it's usually at the most inopportune time...missed shifts. This is something that I have developed over the last few years (thanks for the inspiration Dave W), after making sure all linkage connection points were nice and tight.

1st/2nd gear locator: Put the trans in 1st gear and attach lock collar onto 5/8 shift linkage next to driver. Align collar so tab is just touching the underside of frame tubing. This gives a positive left side stop point locking out reverse (and eliminates the no mans land between 1st and reverse). Before tightening, make sure gap between collar halves is equal...this will prevent binding when tightening and loosening. Position release lever where desired and tighten lower screw. If reverse is needed, 1/4 turn on the release lever loosens the collar.

3rd/4th gear locator: Install lock collar with small tab onto 5/8 linkage near transmission (make sure it does not interfere with fore and aft movement). With trans in neutral, tighten collar with tab at 3 o'clock position. Install lower spring bracket with provided hardware. Orient it so spring tension "pulls" the gear selector to the right side ( 3rd/4th). Start with tab at 10 o'clock position. When coming out of second, spring tension automatically pulls the gear selector to the right side for seamless 3rd and 4th gear shifts. This is adjustable to driver preference.

Its like having a gate without the gate. Everything made from 304 s.s. I made up 4 complete kits when I made mine. Please verify the dimension on the 1st/2nd locator will work for you. My car is a 2012 Elan V.D. I was working with Brad on these just prior to his accident/stroke, and hope to again soon. I just wanted to get a few of them out there early this season.

ej
    ejkorecky@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 05.22.22 at 7:18 PM.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Nice looking shift assist system. Do you think it might work on a Swift DB3 with Mk9 Hewland?

Thanks,

Dave

I think the concept would work on most anything...the only difference might be the tab length that is relative to the frame tubing on the 1st/2nd locator.

thanks,

ej

Liked: 20

Very nice! I installed something similar (but not nearly as nice) on my RF99 for the 3/4 spring assist. It definitely helps.

Jason

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Will probably do another short run next month. PM me if you want to get on a list.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post
    We have all done it, and when it happens, it's usually at the most inopportune time...missed shifts. This is something that I have developed over the last few years (thanks for the inspiration Dave W), after making sure all linkage connection points were nice and tight.

1st/2nd gear locator: Put the trans in 1st gear and attach lock collar onto 5/8 shift linkage next to driver. Align collar so tab is just touching the underside of frame tubing. This gives a positive left side stop point locking out reverse (and eliminates the no mans land between 1st and reverse). Before tightening, make sure gap between collar halves is equal...this will prevent binding when tightening and loosening. Position release lever where desired and tighten lower screw. If reverse is needed, 1/4 turn on the release lever loosens the collar.

3rd/4th gear locator: Install lock collar with small tab onto 5/8 linkage near transmission (make sure it does not interfere with fore and aft movement). With trans in neutral, tighten collar with tab at 3 o'clock position. Install lower spring bracket with provided hardware. Orient it so spring tension "pulls" the gear selector to the right side ( 3rd/4th). Start with tab at 10 o'clock position. When coming out of second, spring tension automatically pulls the gear selector to the right side for seamless 3rd and 4th gear shifts. This is adjustable to driver preference.

Its like having a gate without the gate. Everything made from 304 s.s. I made up 4 complete kits when I made mine. $80.00 includes shipping. Please verify the dimension on the 1st/2nd locator will work for you. My car is a 2012 Elan V.D. I was working with Brad on these just prior to his accident/stroke, and hope to again soon. I just wanted to get a few of them out there early this season.

ej
    ejkorecky@yahoo.com
    If this will work for a 1994 Van Diemen RF94, I will buy one. Pls let me know if you need me to email you any info.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1498

I considered this for my '94 but you should look closely at the shift finger. On mine, a previous owner had shortened the shaft, bringing the apex joint to the rear side of the beam that the linkage passes through. I don't know if that's a common mod or not. If your's is the same, the collar would need to be a bigger bore to go over the end of the joint as there's not enough room left on the shaft.

I am unfamiliar with this mod...thanks for bringing it up.

here's a pic:

With that mod, my 3rd/4th locator would not fit, it would require either a different connection point, or a larger collar. Thanks for posting the picture.

ej

might be better up by the middle joint just behind the firewall. Lots of room up there and a frame tube and various fasteners to attach to.

I'm planning on being at the FRP race at Mid Ohio at the end of the month in case anyone wants to take a look at mine.

ej

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Gents;

I received my entire assembly today, and will report the craftsmanship is stellar. The quality, attention to detail, cosmetics, and functionality is beyond reproach. Superior in every respect.

BTW, EJ is hands down, no BS, is one of the most honest Apexers around. After a catastrophe with the the USPS, he covered the loss, unconditionally.

EJ, you are a Man of sterling qualities. Damn glad to have met you.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 05.10.22 at 7:40 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks Rick, appreciate the kind words...glad everything worked out.

ej

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I considered this for my '94 but you should look closely at the shift finger. On mine, a previous owner had shortened the shaft, bringing the apex joint to the rear side of the beam that the linkage passes through. I don't know if that's a common mod or not. If your's is the same, the collar would need to be a bigger bore to go over the end of the joint as there's not enough room left on the shaft.
    Kirchner;

I thought about this. PM me when you get back, as I may have an eloquent solution.
    V/r

Iverson

Have (2) left from my last run...probably won't make any more till fall. PM me if interested

ej

Liked: 99

Interested, looks like your inbox is full. I need to
    confirm some dimensions on my chassis
    Brandon
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

just cleared my inbox, so should be good to go

ej

Have 3 complete sets in stock.