Liked: 23

Default Rf97 Fc to FF Kent build (Gauges or data system)

Hello,
    I am probably dumb to do this conversion but I like having a project.
    My real question is related to a data system on a Kent based car without an alternator. I really am concerned about gauges . Has any used a go kart Mychro5? Or is it best to just used mechanical gauges ….
    I am alway concerned about battery life without an alternator

Liked: 956

Default Close..

When I first started 15 years ago, I used a Mychron4 on my Zink Z10. I powered it from the battery since they don't use much power.
    I wrapped the "tach wire" 10 times around the coil wire and set it for a 4 cycle engine. I had oil pressure and water temp gauges only. Water temp could be done using the thermocouple channel and a thermocouple in a thermowell. I don't know if the Mychron5 has a channel for oil pressure, but if it does, use this below, The VDO sender is unsuitable for the vibration.

https://shop.veracitydata.com/collec...le-sealed-gage
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 286

Your ignition system probably draws 20x or more what the data system draws. This is not something to be worried about. Today's super-lightweight LiFe batteries provide a much larger capacity and still save 10 lbs or more from the AGM batteries most cars had 20 years ago.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 110

A Mychron 5 is great for FF. GPS allows speed, track mapping and position and sector times. The small rechargeable battery that comes with it lasts about 7 hours and is the equivalent of 2 or 3 AA batteries (so very little current draw). Hence wire it into the main battery somehow. And it can log water temp.

The oil pressure needs to be done with a gauge.

There is a way of logging oil pressure on the 5 but I think it needs an expansion box or similar. Some Mychron 5's are the 2T version (can record 2 temperatures; say water and EGT) so I think you can use one of these channels for oil. Use the Aim pressure sensor that is 0-150psi. Someone help me here regarding logging oil pressure.

The VDO oil pressure sensor hates vibration. If you mount it to the block directly it will fail. Use about 6" of dash 3 hose, connect it to the block port and put the sensor on the end of this 6" away; then soft cable tie the sensor to a chassis rail with some foam.

The Mychron 5 is the cheapest logger you will ever buy; probably only 30% of the next option up.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 605

No alternator means my car's gel cell is always on a trickle charger at home 24/7.....and as soon as when I come in off the track and get back to the paddock too. So I'm always making sure I can plug the trailer in at the track - or rely on a portable generator - or a solar charger.

Liked: 23

I ended up sourcing an old Evo4 system. My next question is the engine cover… can I find a way to use this one or do I have to buy a new engine cover with the lump on the other side…

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    I ended up sourcing an old Evo4 system. My next question is the engine cover… can I find a way to use this one or do I have to buy a new engine cover with the lump on the other side…
    you will need that new engine cover

Thread Information